Killington Lift Structure. SAD!

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

spanky
Site Admin

Re: Killington Lift Structure. SAD!

Post by spanky »

brownman wrote:Well Spanky, the single upgrade was not a full replacement.
Heck, the towers there are older than even you. :lol:
Big difference when a ski area is properly maintained.

:Toast
Wow... sounds like the Skye Peak express towers too. What a coincidence.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

brownman wrote:Well Spanky, the single upgrade was not a full replacement.
Heck, the towers there are older than even you. :lol:
Pretty sure Spanky hasn't had a helicopter ride to the infirmary, a rebuild and a repaint.
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

Mister Moose wrote:Folks, lets review ski lift design:

Skier capacity of fixed grip quad: 2400 per hour.
Skier capacity of high speed quad: 2400 per hour.

It's the same.

Granted you get a few more loading related stops for the fixed grips. Newbs gotta have skillz.
However, here is the dirty little secret you aren't getting told:

High Speed Quads aren't running at their design speed.

Ramshead is running at about 900 FPS. Skye Peak Express is running slower than max as well. Both are running slower than design. Why? Because experience has shown more fannies get up the hill with less stoppages when running a little slower than max authorized speed. Loading stoppages are still an issue on HSQ's. So a High Speed Quad isn't really a high speed quad after all. It's a sorta high speed quad.

So replace the Snowdon quad at 2,400 SPH with a high speed and you might actually get a reduction in capacity, like 2100 SPH.

Faster ride, yes. Fewer skiers per hour.

M Moose, Sec'y
SSQS

You didn't deduct the lift loading issues from the fixed grip like you did from the detachable. If the detach only gets 2100, then the fixed is only getting 1750.
icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

All we need is a South Ridge lift.
"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh
BoozeTan
Guru Poster

Post by BoozeTan »

icedtea wrote:All we need is a South Ridge lift.

yep
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

2400/hr? Seems a bit optimistic. At a chair every 6 seconds, the carnage would be horrific. Actually slowing it down, say to a chair every 7 to 9 seconds, will get you more bodies up the hill/hour with fewer stoppages.
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Nobody has even mentioned the head scratcher regarding the Rams Head Quad issues....
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
biged
Slalom Racer

Post by biged »

Skied at Okemo on Sunday, not seeing the greatness of the new lifts. My daughter thought the bubble lift was dumb, I liked the heated seats even though only a few of them work. I saw many issues with the new lifts and the new RFID technology. Although I did see some humor in the but rubs and chest rubs on the sensors when the sensors didn't recognize the pass in a skiers pocket. Okemo grooming has gone down hill or Killington's has gotten better. I had a fair comparison, I skied the morning at Okemo and the afternoon at Killington. It shows how Mike is doing a great job the only issue is the lacking of a SouthRidge lift at Killington. Okemo has a lot of lifts servicing condos or terrain which were running on Sunday not sure what happens mid week. The grass isn't as green on the other side of the fence. I'm sure K management saw the same thing I did on Sunday.
Atomic1
Level 10K poster

Post by Atomic1 »

Maybe if the liftie in the shack this weekend at the top of the Snowdon quad was paying attention instead of reading a book things would run a bit smoother !
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

It's required reading .. 'How to Run a Weekend Ski Lift for Dummies'. 8)
Forever .. Goat Path
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Atomic1 wrote:Maybe if the liftie in the shack this weekend at the top of the Snowdon quad was paying attention instead of reading a book things would run a bit smoother !
"You want your ski? Go get it!"
ImageImageImageImage
GnarDawg
Green Skidder

Post by GnarDawg »

Ok ready folks question for you all:

You arrive at the K1 Gondola Lift Maze - There is no line - what is your rough estimate to take the lift - ski down from the peak to the Jug and Jug Handle then down Falls Brook trail to Bear - then when you arrive at Bear there is no SPE line - you ride up and ski down Skylark all the way back including the traverse across back into the K1 lift maze.

My guess is 30 min.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

GnarDawg wrote:Ok ready folks question for you all:

You arrive at the K1 Gondola Lift Maze - There is no line - what is your rough estimate to take the lift - ski down from the peak to the Jug and Jug Handle then down Falls Brook trail to Bear - then when you arrive at Bear there is no SPE line - you ride up and ski down Skylark all the way back including the traverse across back into the K1 lift maze.

My guess is 30 min.
Your on the lift for at least 20 minutes no?
GnarDawg
Green Skidder

Post by GnarDawg »

I thought the SPE was like a 5 min ride and the K1 can't be more than 10 (guessing though).
hillbangin wrote:
GnarDawg wrote:Ok ready folks question for you all:

My guess is 30 min.
Your on the lift for at least 20 minutes no?
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

45 minutes That's a long way with some fairly flat terrain throughout most of the route.

There are certainly others here that can do a better estimate, though.
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA
Roundtop: 12/22,12/23, 1/8, 1/13, 1/14, 1/17 LR, 1/18 LR, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1//22 LR, 1/23 LR, 1/26, 1/29 LR, 2/2 LR, 2/3, 2/4, 2/7 LR, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/15, 2/16 LR, 2/17, 2/18, 2/19 LR, 2/21 LR, 3/8 LR, 3/9, 3/10

Ski Visits in VT
Okemo: 12/8, 2/29, 3/1, 3/2, 3/18
Stowe: 12/9
Killington: 12/10, 2/25, 2/26, 2/27, 3/16, 3/17

Ski Visits in NY
Hunter: 3/15

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs