Killington Lift Structure. SAD!

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Re: Killington Lift Structure. SAD!

Post by Dr. NO »

If you can do JUG and Handle rapidly you could knock minutes off. Same with Skylark. 12 min on K1, KPQ is about 9 min. Takes almost no time to finish the run; although the traverse out of Jug Handle kills your time. If you are in shape and can tuck the runouts Maybe 30 minutes. I have done the run from SPE to Skyship in about 9 minutes with little traffic. Add moving obstacles and all bets are OFF.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

I got curious on this and timed the chair spacing on the 4 relevant chairs to the discussion on a recent typical weekend day. Here's what I found:

Ramshead HSQ: 7.5 seconds per chair, 1920 skiers per hour.
Snowdon Quad: 7.5 seconds per chair, 1920 skiers per hour.
Skye Peak HSQ: 7.0 seconds per chair, 2,057 skiers per hour.
Needles Eye HSQ 6.0 seconds per chair, 2,400 skiers per hour.

So we see that the Ramshead quad loads at the exact same rate as the Snowdon Quad. Replacing Snowdon with a new HSQ would not increase capacity, but would reduce ride time. Skye Peak is running under capacity, but slightly faster. Needles is running at capacity.
mogulmouse
Powderhound

Post by mogulmouse »

They got rid of the south ridge triple , I hate everyone.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Mister Moose wrote:I got curious on this and timed the chair spacing on the 4 relevant chairs to the discussion on a recent typical weekend day. Here's what I found:

So we see that the Ramshead quad loads at the exact same rate as the Snowdon Quad. Replacing Snowdon with a new HSQ would not increase capacity, but would reduce ride time. Skye Peak is running under capacity, but slightly faster. Needles is running at capacity.
so you are now on board w replacing it? :banana:
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

madhatter wrote:
Mister Moose wrote: Replacing Snowdon with a new HSQ would not increase capacity, but would reduce ride time.
In a fairy tale land of unlimited money, sure, replace it. In the real world of tight capital, there are far better places to spend it.

On days when I ride the Snowdon quad, I might take 5 runs there. On rare exceptional days I might take 8-10 runs there. A new HSQ would shave about 4.5 minutes off the ride time. So on a day when I ride it 5 times, the new lift would save me 22 minutes. (but only if the lift maze is empty*) I would rather have a new trail pod north of Ramshead than 20 extra minutes. I would rather have a brand new KBL than 20 minutes. I would rather have an SRT than 20 minutes.

* On most weekends when the lift is mostly full and there is even 10 people in line, the 4.5 minute time savings disappears. Half the people sitting on the slower chair would now be in line in front of you for the faster chair. The cycle time would be the same. On a weekend day with just a 15 second lift line on todays lift you are lifting 1,920 skiers per hour. The new lift would still lift 1,920 skiers per hour but would hold fewer skiers, and deposit the remainder in the lift line. No time savings during those periods.
Last edited by Mister Moose on Mar 6th, '17, 08:54, edited 1 time in total.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Mister Moose wrote:
madhatter wrote:
Mister Moose wrote: Replacing Snowdon with a new HSQ would not increase capacity, but would reduce ride time.
In a fairy tale land of unlimited money, sure, replace it. In the real world of tight capital, there are far better places to spend it.

On days when I ride the Snowdon quad, I might take 5 runs there. On rare exceptional days I might take 8-10 runs there. A new HSQ would shave about 4.5 minutes off the ride time. So on a day when I ride it 5 times, the new lift would save me 22 minutes. (but only if the lift maze is empty*) I would rather have a new trail pod north of Ramshead than 20 extra minutes. meh I would rather have a brand new KBL than 20 minutes. DILLIGAF I would rather have an SRT than 20 minutes.OK

* On most weekends when the lift is mostly full and there is even 10 people in line, the 4.5 minute time savings disappears. Half the people sitting on the slower chair would now be in line in front of you for the faster chair. The cycle time would be the same. On a weekend day with just a 15 second lift line on todays lift you are lifting 1,920 skiers per hour. The new lift would hold fewer skiers, and deposit the remainder in the lift line. No time savings during those periods.
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Atomic1
Level 10K poster

Post by Atomic1 »

Mister Moose wrote:I got curious on this and timed the chair spacing on the 4 relevant chairs to the discussion on a recent typical weekend day. Here's what I found:

But in the real world we have to add into your time all of the LIFT STOPS on the Snowdon Quad which is really what the problem is. I think that lift stops more than any other lift on the mountain .
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Atomic1 wrote:

But in the real world we have to add into your time all of the LIFT STOPS on the Snowdon Quad which is really what the problem is. I think that lift stops more than any other lift on the mountain .
:like :like
mach es sehr schnell

brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Only lifts here that consistently achieve their hourly rating are carpets and the handicapped lift at KBL.

:seeya
Forever .. Goat Path
skixc2
Black Carver

Post by skixc2 »

I would ALWAYS rather sit on a chair than stand in a life line, all else being equal (as is the case with the equal capacity discussed)
Raise 'Em Jay
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

skixc2 wrote:I would ALWAYS rather sit on a chair than stand in a life line, all else being equal (as is the case with the equal capacity discussed)
Then you've never had the Slowdon stop during a blizzard......when the chair is not quite close enough to the top where you can jump off.......
Atomic1
Level 10K poster

Post by Atomic1 »

madhatter wrote:
Atomic1 wrote:

:like :like
Besides the slippery seat covering that I previously mentioned, especially when the big gun is laying the goods on mouse trap and obvious operator work ethics which also has a lot to do with the lift stopping what else can we do to limit this lift from stopping ? Should the entry point of the load line coming out to the chair be from the side like on Rams head or Snowshed because that's where the newbies learn and then they come to the Snowdon quad and it's all different . How many times have you seen people venture out into the path of the oncoming chair as there is no room there for error. If you venture out 2-3 feet the chair turns around the bullgear above and BAM... another long stop..,..
random1
Blue Chatterbox

Post by random1 »

Yesterday at Okemo, that express bubble chair didn't run all morning. I don't know if it ever got going, but without it, the lift situation at Okemo is just awful. Honestly, I don't know how anyone can stomach that place. Starting with the ridiculous quads that more or less traverse the hill, we took one hoping the express would start up. So instead took two very long regular quads up to the top. Had a decent run down The Chief, we might've been the first ones on it. But I was one and done. Not worth that ridiculous 2-stage trip up.

I'll take the worst day on the Snowdon Quad over those any day of the week.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

HSQ at Snowdon [w.r.t. lift line wait] would be worse than M Moose states as more peeps flock to the HS chair and bew shiny object. As I,ve been saying for years HSQ there would ruin the great skiing there.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Captain Hafski wrote:HSQ at Snowdon [w.r.t. lift line wait] would be worse than M Moose states as more peeps flock to the HS chair and bew shiny object. As I,ve been saying for years HSQ there would ruin the great skiing there.
perhaps for you, it would improve it for me as I'd actually go over there for more than one run...
mach es sehr schnell