monday 2/13/17 report POW DAY!

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

monday 2/13/17 report POW DAY!

Post by skiadikt »

this was the big one. well not really ... about 8" overnight but certainly put some lipstick on the pig. line at snowdon out of the back of the corral at the open. singles up the hill. probably the biggest non-holiday weekday crowd of the season. all lifts appeared to open on time. when i got to bear later in the morning, a full corral at the spq and hit pretty full corrals at the skyeship 2 though after the opening rush, snowdon & canyon were ski on. wind brutal. hit very few trails. first fiddle in 2 years. woods served up the goods.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
santaclaus
Beginner On Rentals

Re: monday 2/13/17 report POW DAY!

Post by santaclaus »

Bear was definitely the sweet spot, love OL before it turns to garbage. Loaded the quad at 9 and hit up fiddle/devil's den and by the time I returned the lines were out the gates. Can't say much for the rest of the hill, tracked out and wind-blown although softer overall. On a powder scale we're looking at a 2. Backside is calling..
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

I was on line for the 8:00 AM opening and waited to get on the quad and get some freshies. Of course, those that got off before us got first tracks but we still managed to find untracked stuff. I spent the morning skiing with GIS and his crew. We did runs on Snowdon, Canyon, Southridge, Bear, Needles and Superstar area. There were some really good runs and some so so. Skyhawk was not as good as it has been. Lower Ovation on skier's right had an icy entrance but once you got passed that there was some powder to enjoy. The winds were sometimes very strong and they blew the snow off some of the trails. We had a great time skiing the Fiddle. We spent a lot of time in the woods were the snow was excellent. Talked to one guy on the lift who told me that he found the best snow in Devil's Den. Hope all of you who will be skiing the rest of the week get to enjoy some more of the new snow. It was a great 5 days for me with this one being the best one of all.
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Snow was flying as the morning powder hounds lined up for the Snowdon Quad early opening. Even Mike jumped in the line behind us. Savored the first a couple of runs as the crowd chewed up the new snow. Storm totaled a foot of very light fluffy hero blower. Summit temperature of eight degrees with a pleasant sailing wind. Escapade had a few untouched patches that we quickly finished tracking up. Slipped into the Light finding great soft lines. Friend that joined us enjoyed some of the tight un-named tree shots that we love to ski. Long Skyepeak Quad line at 10 had pretty disappeared by 11. Wind gusts on Skyelark seemed to push us back up the slope. One of top days of season.

Grade A

Quote of the Day - Powder day smiles are the best.
Attachments
Snowdon Line.JPG
Snowdon Line.JPG (56.71 KiB) Viewed 1048 times
In the trees.JPG
In the trees.JPG (90.82 KiB) Viewed 1047 times
Pipedream.JPG
Pipedream.JPG (63 KiB) Viewed 1047 times
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

stand in that line just to make a stripe in the snow??? ya that'll be the day...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

It was a great gesture by the mountain to get that open an hour early. Butt - I'm glad I waited till 9.

Amazing how many people were there - the mountain was empty at 1PM.

Went to Church at 12:30 and called it a day...........
BoozeTan
Guru Poster

Post by BoozeTan »

I got out for the 8am Snowdon quad early opening. And who was right behind me in the line? None other than Killingtons Grand Puba Mike Solimano. I thanked him for opening early. Someone else in line asked him why the SD4 and not the K1. He said they had talked about going with the K1, which btw started loading at about 8:45, but they decidede to go with the quad in case they had issues with the weather. He didnt want to say they weer going to open the K1 at 8 and then have ppl bitching if there was an issue.....

anyhow, my first run I headed right to East Fall, there were maybe 3 or 4 tracks on it. Back to the SD4 and headed to Highline, again, barely any tracks on that as well. Both trails were spectacular. By the time I got down Highline the K1 was running. Up the peak and straight down Cascade. Hoped on the Canyon Quad and from that point on it was trees all day for the rest of the day. Did several laps thru Low Rider finding fresh tracks each time. Over to Rams head to meet up with a couple from Buffalo that we had met the night before who had never been to K. I offered to show them around. Took them thru Twister, back over to Low Rider and the rest of the day was spent hitting whatever trees we passed. best day of the season and probably top 10 lifetime for me
Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Post by Woodsrider »

madhatter wrote:Image

stand in that line just to make a stripe in the snow??? ya that'll be the day...
Well worth it. I some how managed to time the lift openings perfect. Fresh top to bottom on showdown with an awesome run down Conclusion. Back up to toilet bowl. I was heading over to SSQ when I saw them starting to load the box. So I jumped up top for fresh down Dipper woods. Got to SSQ as they started loading with almost no line. Went over the back side to Fiddle for 2 runs of fresh then 3 in Centerpiece. By then then the SPQ was packed so I hit up the private stashes for the rest of the day. Awesome day.
Seacoaster
Bumper

Post by Seacoaster »

So what's the deal with lift start times, we dropped in from the house at 8;45 Valley plunged(which was super full) down to Skyship. We were in one of the first 10 boxes on the gondola, by the time we got over Needles, it looked like people had been on it for 2 hrs........ Boy am I spoiled by mid-week POW days!
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Woodsrider wrote:
madhatter wrote:Image

Well worth it. I some how managed to time the lift openings perfect. Fresh top to bottom on showdown with an awesome run down Conclusion. Back up to toilet bowl. I was heading over to SSQ when I saw them starting to load the box. So I jumped up top for fresh down Dipper woods. Got to SSQ as they started loading with almost no line. Went over the back side to Fiddle for 2 runs of fresh then 3 in Centerpiece. By then then the SPQ was packed so I hit up the private stashes for the rest of the day. Awesome day.
making a stripe means absolutely nothing to me...standing in line to make one is something I have no interest in...got rock star parking, walk on service and over 25k vertical arriving at 11-11:30...plenty of nice lines in deep pow if ya know where to look...lots of good stuff on sunday afternoon as well, again w rockstar parking and walk on service...to each his own...if it weren't for the 4-5 runs and done early bird crowd I'd never get the great parking spots!!!
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Ragged#1
Bumper

Post by Ragged#1 »

Amazing day. First tracks on Lower Ovation were magical. Snow was great everywhere, but especially Bear Mtn. The Fiddle had some amazing snow on it, as did OL, Devil's Den and Growler.

The top of Devil's Den was open and amazing. But I thought it was pretty ridiculous that they never opened the quad. Skye Peak was a mad house in the morning hours, and people were getting pissed that the other lift wasn't running.

The only let down of the day was royal flush which was surprisingly very thin.

Runs of the Day:
Devil's Fiddle
Devil's Den
SAVE SOUTHRIDGE!
Ragged#1
Bumper

Post by Ragged#1 »

tyrolean_skier wrote:I was on line for the 8:00 AM opening and waited to get on the quad and get some freshies. Of course, those that got off before us got first tracks but we still managed to find untracked stuff. I spent the morning skiing with GIS and his crew. We did runs on Snowdon, Canyon, Southridge, Bear, Needles and Superstar area. There were some really good runs and some so so. Skyhawk was not as good as it has been. Lower Ovation on skier's right had an icy entrance but once you got passed that there was some powder to enjoy. The winds were sometimes very strong and they blew the snow off some of the trails. We had a great time skiing the Fiddle. We spent a lot of time in the woods were the snow was excellent. Talked to one guy on the lift who told me that he found the best snow in Devil's Den. Hope all of you who will be skiing the rest of the week get to enjoy some more of the new snow. It was a great 5 days for me with this one being the best one of all.
Was that you on the Snowdon Quad with me around 2ish? You said that everyone bailed on you and you were headed into Patsy's.
SAVE SOUTHRIDGE!
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Ragged#1 wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote:I was on line for the 8:00 AM opening and waited to get on the quad and get some freshies. Of course, those that got off before us got first tracks but we still managed to find untracked stuff. I spent the morning skiing with GIS and his crew. We did runs on Snowdon, Canyon, Southridge, Bear, Needles and Superstar area. There were some really good runs and some so so. Skyhawk was not as good as it has been. Lower Ovation on skier's right had an icy entrance but once you got passed that there was some powder to enjoy. The winds were sometimes very strong and they blew the snow off some of the trails. We had a great time skiing the Fiddle. We spent a lot of time in the woods were the snow was excellent. Talked to one guy on the lift who told me that he found the best snow in Devil's Den. Hope all of you who will be skiing the rest of the week get to enjoy some more of the new snow. It was a great 5 days for me with this one being the best one of all.
Was that you on the Snowdon Quad with me around 2ish? You said that everyone bailed on you and you were headed into Patsy's.
Yes, if you were the guy who remembered the old Rams lift. If so, nice to meet you and enjoyed talking to you.
Last edited by tyrolean_skier on Feb 14th, '17, 23:17, edited 1 time in total.
Ragged#1
Bumper

Post by Ragged#1 »

That was me! Hope that run was good for ya! haha

North Star was a perfect way to end the day.
SAVE SOUTHRIDGE!
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Ragged#1 wrote:That was me! Hope that run was good for ya! haha

North Star was a perfect way to end the day.
Yeah the line I took in Patsy's was good. I also skied Great Bear after that and then moved over to North Ridge (since you told me that the triple was running) to ski Ridge Run and one of tree runs around there. My last run was a glorious Conclusion.