Winter Park tips/advice/must do

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

BoozeTan
Guru Poster

Winter Park tips/advice/must do

Post by BoozeTan »

Heading out to WP and Im looking for any insider info/local knowledge any of you may have.
Heres a few questions to answer. Anything else thats helpful beyond these few questions will be much appreciated

Where to go for Apres ski/happy hour?
Must hit trails/trees?
Nightlife?
Whats cool in the village/town?
icedtea
Guru Poster

Re: Winter Park tips/advice/must do

Post by icedtea »

Spent one day there with Barnibus last week. I think if you hike a bit there are some nice lines.
"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh
MarieM
Post Office

Post by MarieM »

BoozeTan wrote:Heading out to WP and Im looking for any insider info/local knowledge any of you may have.
Heres a few questions to answer. Anything else thats helpful beyond these few questions will be much appreciated

Where to go for Apres ski/happy hour?
Must hit trails/trees?
Nightlife?
Whats cool in the village/town?
We'll be there in March, thanks to the M.A.X. Pass. The condo owner sent me a few restaurant recommendations today. Her kids (late 30's/early 40's) like Deno's for apres ski. Hernando's for pizza. Quote from her letter: "Devil's Thumb Ranch which is outside of Winter Park is worth the drive for dinner or a drink at Heck's Bar. It's a cross-country ski center and the lodge is lovely." (Probably not what you had in mind, but throwing it out there.)

Looking forward to reading other replies.
BoozeTan
Guru Poster

Post by BoozeTan »

Thanks Marie
hoping to get some more info as well
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

been 10 yrs but we stayed pretty much exclusively on the maryjane side. very few groomed trails. bump runs go on forever. only hit the winter park side on our return from the cirque or the eagle wind trees. unfortunately the cirque is a million miles from the winter park base but eagle wind has it's own lift. i remember sluice box & pine cliffs. there were trees between a number of trails, i think off sleeper paralleling the super gauge lift. maybe off railbender as well. some short but steep chutes at the jane as well. hope that helps a little.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Captain Hafski
Poster Child Poster

Post by Captain Hafski »

BT. Relatively new lift serviced area on the WP side, lookers right, below the cirque is awesome if u like trees.

MJ front side will have all the bumps you want. Trestle is a really nice terraced run lookers far left.

Less steep but nice skiing is over the bsck, to the left of MJ. Nice playground.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
BoozeTan
Guru Poster

Post by BoozeTan »

skiadikt wrote:been 10 yrs but we stayed pretty much exclusively on the maryjane side. very few groomed trails. bump runs go on forever. only hit the winter park side on our return from the cirque or the eagle wind trees. unfortunately the cirque is a million miles from the winter park base but eagle wind has it's own lift. i remember sluice box & pine cliffs. there were trees between a number of trails, i think off sleeper paralleling the super gauge lift. maybe off railbender as well. some short but steep chutes at the jane as well. hope that helps a little.
The Cirque is now accesseed by a snowcat dragging a sled. the sled pass is $20 for the season
BoozeTan
Guru Poster

Post by BoozeTan »

thanks for the tips so far everyone.....keep em coming
icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

BoozeTan wrote:thanks for the tips so far everyone.....keep em coming
After riding we went to the hot sulfur springs close to there.
"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh
Whistler9
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Whistler9 »

Best lunch stop on the mountain is at Mary Jane basement - Pepperoni's freshly made pizza all styles and great draft beer. You can buy by the slice, two slices makes a great lunch! Very cool vibe And always fast service!
Whistler9
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Whistler9 »

Parsenne Bowl has some fine skiing, form open spaces down into awesome tree skiing!
teletimg
Beginner On Rentals

Post by teletimg »

This place is amazing:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... orado.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I almost never go back to the same place twice but this was well worth it.

I agree on Devil's Thumb. Great dinner and an even better happy hour. Well worth the drive, and if you are into XC at all very beautiful.

TT
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Whistler9 wrote:Best lunch stop on the mountain is at Mary Jane basement - Pepperoni's freshly made pizza all styles and great draft beer. You can buy by the slice, two slices makes a great lunch! Very cool vibe And always fast service!
Pizza, Beer And MJ in a basement. Sounds like a party. Count me in.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
Captain Hafski
Poster Child Poster

Post by Captain Hafski »

Guy in Shorts wrote:
Whistler9 wrote:Best lunch stop on the mountain is at Mary Jane basement - Pepperoni's freshly made pizza all styles and great draft beer. You can buy by the slice, two slices makes a great lunch! Very cool vibe And always fast service!
Pizza, Beer And MJ in a basement. Sounds like a party. Count me in.
You forgot about the fast service !!
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!