Why Juggernaut no Open?

Post by skixc2 »

Huh?
Raise 'Em Jay
freeski
Post Office

Re: Why Juggernaut no Open?

Post by freeski »

Trail was sold to Vail. Vail closed the trail to build hotels, condos and strip malls on both sides all the way down. It's going to be nice. :|
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

skixc2 wrote:Huh?
They have not groomed it.
frankieski
Beginner On Rentals

Post by frankieski »

I took that trail back 20 years ago once. I swore I would NEVER do it again! LOL.
Good for cross country skiing... not sure how many of those skiers are still out there in the area but I'm sure it may not be worth the investment in time to maintain the trail. I remember cross country skiing was much bigger back in the 70's-80's. Not sure if it's viable any more to a resort like Killington.
icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

frankieski wrote:I took that trail back 20 years ago once. I swore I would NEVER do it again! LOL.
Good for cross country skiing... not sure how many of those skiers are still out there in the area but I'm sure it may not be worth the investment in time to maintain the trail. I remember cross country skiing was much bigger back in the 70's-80's. Not sure if it's viable any more to a resort like Killington.
What about all those trees?
"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh
Stache
Poster Child Poster

Post by Stache »

A GREAT place to take a lower level group and keep them out of the crazy traffic and still give them a unique Killington experience.
Go all the way down Sun Dog and require them to yodel in the tunnel.
Stache

2018-19
Killington = 2
Whaleback = 1
Dartmouth Skiway =
frankieski
Beginner On Rentals

Post by frankieski »

25 years ago before internet, I looked for a nice area off Juggernaut in the trees... after taking the directions from the guy working the bar at Picklebarrel. (Steve Smith and the Nakeds played that night. Great band back then). Anyway... I got lost. No cell phone. Kept going... ended up in waist deep powder crossing a stream, and finally came to a road and walked back to who knows.... ended up at a cabin where I saw a guy loading his truck with wood who gave me a Narragansett Beer and drove me to the skyeship 3 hours later. bad day. Yeah, I'd do those trees with a guide. But they were very tight and thick back then.
frankieski
Beginner On Rentals

Post by frankieski »

Oh... and I had K2 8.2 Comp's 205s.... long and not the ski for the trees anyway.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Hey .. 25 years before Internet, most people lurking here were not even born :wink:
Those 205 K2s were awesome stix. Problem would still exist on 174's.
That trek just ain't worth the effort unless you've brought along a keg loaded on a toboggan :idea:

Your adventure sounds familiar to many of old farts :like

SunDog Tunnel Rocks !

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
frankieski
Beginner On Rentals

Post by frankieski »

brownman wrote:Hey .. 25 years before Internet, most people lurking here were not even born :wink:
Those 205 K2s were awesome stix. Problem would still exist on 174's.
That trek just ain't worth the effort unless you've brought along a keg loaded on a toboggan :idea:

Your adventure sounds familiar to many of old farts :like

SunDog Tunnel Rocks !

:Toast

LMAO 8)
Funny you mention the keg on a toboggan. Let me tell you a small story from a Rhode Islander that used to love that place...

Winter of 1991... group of 12 of us had a week long adventure at the ski house at the time on the access road near Rams head. Some of us wanted a spot on the mountain to relax and unwind without getting off the mountain. One of us picked a spot off southridge where no one could see us. Throughout the day we used that spot to relax, eat, drink, smoke. All day, we avoided patrol. It was so good that one of us suggested skiing after 5pm and hang.

We set up base camp in the trees between what's now Sassafras and the Jug. There was a small creek next to us that I determined later to be the beginning of Falls Brook. We skied Southridge all day, would come down The jug and pop in the woods, drink from the cooler we dug in the snow, and pitched a tent. No one ever checked the tags at that triple. ever. The area was PITCHBLACK and no lights. Skiing was unbelieveable at night. After your eyes adjusted, you could see perfectly because the moon lit the area nice since there were no spot lights at the lifts. The only light was from a beacon at the peak that was hidden behind trees from that area.

Same time every night the groomers used Pipedream as a major highway. No campfires ever. And it was cold that week. At least 3-5 of us stayed each night. Throughout the week, we accumulated piles of clothes, empty beer cans hidden in the snow. And when I left that area later that week for the last time, one of the guys sneaked his snowmobile up from a road off sunrise. Crazy week. We never ran into anyone since there was no piping in the area on the run. And if I remember right, the closest call we had was on a trek down the mountain at 2am one night, a guy walking near the devils fiddle lift saw one of us walking to a truck in the lot.

A couple times one of us left through the night and we found out the next morning after we made it back to the lodge that he never came back because he got lost till morning. Once you determined to stay past 7... it was a treacherous trek back to Killington base area because a couple of us said it was too cold and wanted to get back to the lodge. That was a fun week. A snow storm one night put down about 5-6 inches that week I didn't get a hour of sleep. Probably couldn't do that now. I could go on and on about that week but it was a fun and safe week. no issues. LOL.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

hillbangin wrote:
skixc2 wrote:Huh?
They have not groomed it.
I'd guess wildlife. Bear or more likely, Moose.
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

good story... :-) :like
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
Stache
Poster Child Poster

Post by Stache »

FWIW, J-nut was open today.
Stache

2018-19
Killington = 2
Whaleback = 1
Dartmouth Skiway =
killyfan
Blue Chatterbox

Post by killyfan »

I force myself to go down there every 2 or 3 years for a "wilderness" experience on a crowded. Makes my biceps and armpits hurt for 2 days afterwards every time! But yes, there are some really nice trees there if you don't mind a short hike off the trail. Brings you right back to the Bear area. :-)
In a world where you can be anything, why not choose to be kind...