Largest crowd in K history?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

boston_e
Postaholic

Re: Largest crowd in K history?

Post by boston_e »

skimom wrote:Great to see the mountain do good. If they don't do well, no of us does well. Same for the local businesses. My qustion is the 17,500 count. Is that tickets sold or number of people scanned. I know people who stayed with me bought their $55 passes long ago, along with all the various season pass holders would make for a much larger count than 17.5 on the hill. Just curious.
I'm not 100% sure but I've always understood that number to be "skier visits"... so would include day tickets, season pass holders, express card holders, advanced purchased tickets etc.... in other words, the number of different people scanned.
Don't Killington Pico
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

ME2VTSkier wrote:
frankieski wrote:Looks like they need a replacement for the Devil's Fiddle Quad. just needs to be in a different line. Long walk to get to that lift. Made no sense. You'd have to be coming down Fiddle or coming from Falls Brook... but most of those people coming from Falls Brook weren't seeking Expert terrain and the lift probably scared them off since it went up the fiddle so people past it by. Hence the long lines at Bear Quad back in the day and ZERO line at the Fiddle Quad.
In the old days, the DF4 was there to catch all the skier traffic that was entering the resort thru the Northeast Passage/Sunrise Triple. We used to park there all the time right next to the lift, then ride the Triple to the DF4, to the South Ridge Triple. Then you could go anywhere. It saved standing in line at the Skyepeak or Bear chairs. The only other option was to take Lower Juggernaut down to Skyeship/Killington Gondola, but why as you should've just started there in the first place.

When they shut down Northeast Passage, shortened the Sunrise3, there wasn't any further need for for DF4, especially after Nyberg removed SR3.
100% spot on. Used to park down there all the time yards from the Sunrise base lodge and/or the lift...especially on busy holiday weekends like Presidents Weekend. The rest of the mountain would have massive lift lines and you could still almost ski right up to the Northeast Passage triple and ski awesome terrain off the mid station like it was your own private ski resort. And when it was time for a beer and a burger, ski right up to the Back Behind Saloon which was a short walk (stumble) back over to the lift. In those days, the BBS was one of the best party spots at Killington day or night. I miss the hell out of Old Sunrise (and the old BBS) and won't ski Killington on busy holiday weekends any more without it. That would have been a great area to turn the kids loose on too, about the only part of killington you can do that besides snowshed but how many laps can you do on snowshed before they're bored out of their minds.

Great to hear that Killington had a great weekend. I took my youngest daughter twilight skiing to Camelback last night which is only an hour and 5 minutes from my house. First time i've skied in NY/NJ or PA in 40 years and was impressed by how well run the place was. The skiing exceeded my expectations too which were pretty low. Don't know who owns it but they are doing a great job. The whole area around Camelback was extremely busy but there are so many other things to do in the area besides ski that the skiing was nowhere near as crowded as i thought it was going to be based on how many people were in the area.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
skimom
Beginner On Rentals

Post by skimom »

boston_e wrote:
skimom wrote:Great to see the mountain do good. If they don't do well, no of us does well. Same for the local businesses. My qustion is the 17,500 count. Is that tickets sold or number of people scanned. I know people who stayed with me bought their $55 passes long ago, along with all the various season pass holders would make for a much larger count than 17.5 on the hill. Just curious.
I'm not 100% sure but I've always understood that number to be "skier visits"... so would include day tickets, season pass holders, express card holders, advanced purchased tickets etc.... in other words, the number of different people scanned.

Thats what I would think too
blakeslee_a
Black Carver

Post by blakeslee_a »

9,700 at sugarbush on Saturday. 2nd busiest day since Win bought the place. The rental shop sold out of rental skis.
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

blakeslee_a wrote:9,700 at sugarbush on Saturday. 2nd busiest day since Win bought the place. The rental shop sold out of rental skis.
That's the number I heard too. Somewhat long lift lines at Gate House and Super Bravo during the morning, but nothing unbearable for a holiday weekend. The beauty of it was the trails never felt crowded and you never felt like your life was in danger from too many people on the hill.

Slightly less people reported for Sunday (8900 seems to ring a bell from what I heard this morning) and at one point yesterday morning, the line for Gate House looked longer than Saturday.

Today was pretty quiet.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
random1
Blue Chatterbox

Post by random1 »

ME2VTSkier wrote:
No Southridge, and only opening the Crossover late season. They'll never face up to the problem that they don't have enough lift capacity for exiting Bear back to the Basin.
When Mike spoke at KSC, he was very well aware of the problem. He said they are looking at a replacement for SR3, and possibly some tunnels to allow a safe crossover. Along with renovating/upgrading Bear Mountain lodge. So, while it may not happen, they are very aware of the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

The crossover has been open midweek at times this season.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 30 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
Stache
Poster Child Poster

Post by Stache »

Big Bob wrote:The crossover has been open midweek at times this season.
That is worse than never open.
One day you have it and can bring a lower level group across, another day you don't and you have a green group skiing Bear Claw.
I have twice had to bring a group out of Bear via the FREE Base to Base Shuttle.
Stache

2018-19
Killington = 2
Whaleback = 1
Dartmouth Skiway =
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

random1 wrote:
ME2VTSkier wrote:
No Southridge, and only opening the Crossover late season. They'll never face up to the problem that they don't have enough lift capacity for exiting Bear back to the Basin.
When Mike spoke at KSC, he was very well aware of the problem. He said they are looking at a replacement for SR3, and possibly some tunnels to allow a safe crossover. Along with renovating/upgrading Bear Mountain lodge. So, while it may not happen, they are very aware of the problem.

Tunnels would work for this guy...
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
blakeslee_a
Black Carver

Post by blakeslee_a »

spanky wrote:
blakeslee_a wrote:9,700 at sugarbush on Saturday. 2nd busiest day since Win bought the place. The rental shop sold out of rental skis.
That's the number I heard too. Somewhat long lift lines at Gate House and Super Bravo during the morning, but nothing unbearable for a holiday weekend. The beauty of it was the trails never felt crowded and you never felt like your life was in danger from too many people on the hill.

Slightly less people reported for Sunday (8900 seems to ring a bell from what I heard this morning) and at one point yesterday morning, the line for Gate House looked longer than Saturday.
Sunday was about 9,000 didn't get the official count as it comes the next day

Today was pretty quiet.
I worked gatehouse Saturday and Sunday. The official word Saturday was a 23 minute wait at the busiest. Had to extend the corrals. Bravo was 7-10 min and valley house was about 5. Lots of beginners and day tickets which is why gatehouse was so crowded
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Combining that with the 4200 that visited Sugarbush on Valentine's Day, Win may have had his best week ever. :like

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

brownman wrote:Combining that with the 4200 that visited Sugarbush on Valentine's Day, Win may have had his best week ever. :like

Sounds like a win-win situation.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

.. feeling like Ed McMahon, lobbed you a softball. :lol:

Forever .. Goat Path
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

random1 wrote:
ME2VTSkier wrote:
Yes, except this isn't a "New" statement from him, it's a repeat from years ago.
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

Stache wrote:
Big Bob wrote:The crossover has been open midweek at times this season.
That is worse than never open.
One day you have it and can bring a lower level group across, another day you don't and you have a green group skiing Bear Claw.
I have twice had to bring a group out of Bear via the FREE Base to Base Shuttle.
Yes, it needs to have some kind of consistent schedule, or why bother, and you just proved why.