Monday 2/20/29017 Report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Monday 2/20/29017 Report

Post by Captain Hafski »

A rare morning report from me. Of course I am cheating a bit with a 6 hour time advantage!!

Greetings from St. Anton Austria. Very low snow cover year for us but enough. Few runs up Rendl, nomally one of my fave places in the world was disappointing. Paid the price for the warm sunny day yesterday.

Up across the main side of St. Anton OK and up the new lift [no. Not on south ridge] to near the top of the Albona above Stuben. Pretty good with off piste excursion OK. After lunch, up another new lift over the ridge to Zurs which was very good especially all things considered. Great run down Oschenboden and back over the ridge to the Valfagerbahn and down the happy valley to the Underground for HH.

All in all, a decent bell to bell day and we beat all of u to happy hour.

Expecting some needed snow through the week. Dont wreck the K while we're gone. Be back 2 weekends from now.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
RustyK
Whipping Post

Re: Monday 2/20/29017 Report

Post by RustyK »

What? No Mooseaverts?

Aspen Highlands was great last week.
Pucker factor of 9 for a couple of turns.
Attachments
IMG_5093.JPG
IMG_5093.JPG (91.54 KiB) Viewed 988 times
GlacierBoy
Black Carver

Post by GlacierBoy »

Skiied 6 days at Big Sky, Montana last week. Snow conditions are roughly 50% below average so skiing in the expert terrain off the Peak and the chutes is okay, not great.The storms of past weeks have cycled through PacNW hit Whitefish and then blown south east to hit Jackson/Grand Targhee and also UT and CO.

We skiied Sunday at Bridger Bowl, which is the locals mountain 30 Minutes outside Bozeman. Great terrain, $57 weekend lift ticket and such a friendly vibe. The 6 or 7 chairlifts are all fixed grip. Every quad and triple use loading people movers.

Why doesn' t Killington install a few moving people movers to load the Skye Peak and other high volume chairs!?
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Mooserwirt in St. Anton made top 10 list of ski bars in the world . . . couple in Zermatt too (depending on the list) which I'm sure we'll visit since we've learned not a great snow year there either . . .

Conditions at K today were definitely "East Coast" . . . :mrgreen:
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Aspen Highlands Bowl a must do if your out there.

Steeeep!

Where is Happy Hour ?
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

RustyK wrote:Aspen Highlands Bowl a must do if your out there.

Steeeep!

That walk is completely worth it. Tough at elevation though if your half not in shape!

Pucker up and huck!
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Nice reports from Austria and Aspen. Now for the Killington report, the skies were blue and the temperature was cold but tolerable. The big crowds had disappeared. It was a groomer day so the quest was to find the best groomed runs. Started at Bear where Bear Claw had the best grooming IMHO. OL was groomed but had rather large balls of snow to contend with so only skied it once. Wildfire had nice snow on top but clumpy stuff on the bottom. Stash and Skyburst also were basically OK. Left there and went to Needles where Panic/Needles was the best run in the morning and we skied it twice. The grooming on Cruise was not as good. Same for Bittersweet/High Road. Skylark had a nice grooming so was enjoyable. Superstar skied pretty fast. Middle Ovation was nicely groomed and lower Ovation also had some snow to turn on but it was a very fast run. In the Canyon, we liked Cascade until the bottom turn where ice could be seen. East Fall was too crowded and we were constantly seeking the snow to turn. Double Dipper looked good on top but we noticed people having trouble towards the bottom so we decided to skip it. Went over to Snowdon and did a few poma runs. Bunny Buster skied a bit fast. There was no rope on Mountain Training Run so we tried it - it had not softened up enough so skiing it was an adventure. We skied Highline which had some sections that had softened up so it was pleasant. Someone told me that the Bear runs had softened up so after lunch I headed back over there. The runs had softened up in the lower parts of them so found a nice little bump line on lower Skyburst and many soft moguls on lower Wildfire. OL had developed moguls where they had groomed but it looked like some mounds with solid in between from the lift so I decided not to ski it. Instead I skied a Dreammaker which had the softer snow of all of them so I would say that was the run of the afternoon. On my way back I sampled Panic/Needles and Cruise again but the first was not as good as the morning and the second was actually a bit worst - neither had softened up. Finished with another run down Skylark and found it to be still in pretty good shape.
Last edited by tyrolean_skier on Feb 20th, '17, 19:30, edited 1 time in total.
PinnacleJim
Slalom Racer

Post by PinnacleJim »

OK, since other vacationers decided to post reports from outside VT, here's my Summit County, CO report. Powder day with bluebird skies developing mid-morning. Morning temps in the low teens warmed to 30s by afternoon. First tracks in the Keystone Outback was highlight of a great day. Breck tomorrow and Copper Wednesday. 11 ski days here and counting. Back in NY 3/1.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Head to Arapahoe, they have the snow. :wink:

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Nice Day - Blue Sky - Lots of day tickets and newbies to Killington - Loose on the sides - Soft on Lower Bear. Crowd was like a regular Sunday.
Attachments
Feb 20 Killington.jpg
Feb 20 Killington.jpg (31.45 KiB) Viewed 527 times
PinnacleJim
Slalom Racer

Post by PinnacleJim »

brownman wrote:Head to Arapahoe, they have the snow. :wink:

:Toast
Skied there last Wed, Thurs, and Friday. Great snow on East Wall and Palli.