Snowdon. Broken lift or broken lifties?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skibikeclimbguy
Black Carver

Snowdon. Broken lift or broken lifties?

Post by skibikeclimbguy »

There is no way Snowdon, though terribly slow, stops due to mechanical issues. Therefore, it is stopping due to people issues. If the lifties were trained to be more attentive this would solve most of the issues. Help people load. Make sure they are moving away from the unload area. How hard could that be?

2 extra lifties, one bottom one top, at $10 / hour on weekends is $320 / weekend. Even if the lift runs Nov - April that's 24 weekends or 48 days (approx). So that would be $15,360 / year. If a new Snowdon lift was even $1.5 million as the most conservative guesstimate, Killington could pay for 98 years of extra lifties instead of replacing the lift.

So tell me why this lift stops 47 times per ride?

Or,simply eliminate the 90 degree downhill turn to load the lift. The Ramshead folks can't handle that, especially after coming from a detachable.

HEY SOLIMANO, everyone thinks you're doing a great job, how about some common sense to fix the lift EVERYONE thinks is the most broken? (apart from the missing lift)...
skibikeclimbguy
Black Carver

Re: Snowdon. Broken lift or broken lifties?

Post by skibikeclimbguy »

Would a HSQ to replace the Snowdon Triple make more sense than a replacement for the Snowdon quad?
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

skibikeclimbguy wrote:Would a HSQ to replace the Snowdon Triple make more sense than a replacement for the Snowdon quad?
It's not going to happen since they just rebuilt the midstation.
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Lets put up a sign "stupid people that don’t have a clue go find another lift to ride”. That should take care of the problem. Spent years coaching my kids everytime we got on the lift to pay attention, get up to the line and turn to grab the chair. Simply paying attention works.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Guy in Shorts wrote:Lets put up a sign "stupid people that don’t have a clue go find another lift to ride”. That should take care of the problem. Spent years coaching my kids everytime we got on the lift to pay attention, get up to the line and turn to grab the chair. Simply paying attention works.
You might be asking to much of the general public these days...
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 30 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Big Bob wrote:
Guy in Shorts wrote:Lets put up a sign "stupid people that don’t have a clue go find another lift to ride”. That should take care of the problem. Spent years coaching my kids everytime we got on the lift to pay attention, get up to the line and turn to grab the chair. Simply paying attention works.
You might be asking to much of the general public these days...
True Dat ! Besides, who reads signs?
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Where is Happy Hour ?
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

tyrolean_skier wrote:
skibikeclimbguy wrote:Would a HSQ to replace the Snowdon Triple make more sense than a replacement for the Snowdon quad?
It's not going to happen since they just rebuilt the midstation.
There's a pretty hot rumor that they can't get parts for the triple anymore...........If it were high speed - they would not need the ramp.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Would be happy with a replacement of the safety bar on the triple with something lighter than the 50# death bar.
Remove all of those and strip the 50 coats of lead paint, that lift would run way faster.

:cool
Forever .. Goat Path
K42
Green Skidder

Post by K42 »

brownman wrote:Would be happy with a replacement of the safety bar on the triple with something lighter than the 50# death bar.
Remove all of those and strip the 50 coats of lead paint, that lift would run way faster.

:cool
:like
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

while a charter member of the sssq, if i had to replace a snowdon lift, it would be the triple. despite the recent mid-station build, it's 20 years older than the quad and would provide another quick lift out of the killington base area crowding. also if they kept the current load & unload areas, it might not have as much impact on the snowdon tree skiing as replacing the quad.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
K42
Green Skidder

Post by K42 »

skiadikt wrote:while a charter member of the sssq, if i had to replace a snowdon lift, it would be the triple. despite the recent mid-station build, it's 20 years older than the quad and would provide another quick lift out of the killington base area crowding. also if they kept the current load & unload areas, it might not have as much impact on the snowdon tree skiing as replacing the quad.
I agree it makes getting out of the KBL area that much easier
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

Both Snowdon lifts are crap and need to be replaced. Unfortunately the triple will most likely be there into the 22nd century since a lot of money was spent on that crappy midstation which is ridiculous! Barely can get your feet above it. I've seen several people almost get mangled. Seen a couple people snap their poles. People sometimes just forget to lift up their equipment to clear the ramp which is like 6 inches below the footrest. Actually surprised there haven't been more injuries. Sometimes people forget to drop the footrest and are too busy talking and don't pay attention. Even when I put my board on the footrest the end of it still drags on the ramp sometimes if the lift is full. Sorry, but whoever designed that thing is a moron!
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

skiadikt wrote:while a charter member of the sssq, if i had to replace a snowdon lift, it would be the triple. despite the recent mid-station build, it's 20 years older than the quad and would provide another quick lift out of the killington base area crowding. also if they kept the current load & unload areas, it might not have as much impact on the snowdon tree skiing as replacing the quad.
I had said this years ago before the upgrade and the mid station install. I read on another forum that mid stations were no longer legal to install. Just goes to show you how much revenue K gets from Highline as a reserved trail.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 30 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
Atomic1
Level 10K poster

Post by Atomic1 »

The black cover on the seats of the Snowdon quad are also very slippery whether it's wet or dry and I have seen people do the " scoop-n-slide " right off of the seat many times. I'd like to see a High speed lift there but realize this would increase the amount of skiers and they would need to install tunnels at a couple intersections . As I previously stated , the liftie on their phone or reading a book in the upper shack doesn't help the situation either .