Whipping Post

Re: Vail buys Stowe

Post by RENO »

Bring back the bronze pass! :P
skibikeclimbguy
Black Carver

Post by skibikeclimbguy »

This is an awesome opportunity for Killington to increase pass prices, Nyberg's failed dream. Stowe will become the low margin high volume product negating it's elite status. Killington can become the high margin low volume luxury option.

As a Killington homeowner, I'd gladly pay up for a Killington pass to reduce traffic and liftlines in their aged and failing infrastructure.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

skibikeclimbguy wrote:This is an awesome opportunity for Killington to increase pass prices, Nyberg's failed dream. Stowe will become the low margin high volume product negating it's elite status. Killington can become the high margin low volume luxury option.

As a Killington homeowner, I'd gladly pay up for a Killington pass to reduce traffic and liftlines in their aged and failing infrastructure.
Dumb, dumb, dumb idea.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

My guess, K pass drops to $1,100.

Killington doesn't have the infrastructure to go low volume high rent.
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

freeski wrote:My guess, K pass drops to $1,100.

Uhm, the early season pass was below that line last year.
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

SnoBrdr wrote:

Did I say discounted early season? I thought a pass was $1,270 or so.
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Nobody will pay that for a full K pass next season.
They're scuttling their opportunity to grab market share. :sad:

We're all over the MC. Best bet for our use case.
Praying for a 2018 Snow Bonanza in Cottonwood/Jackson. :like

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

freeski wrote:
SnoBrdr wrote:

Did I say discounted early season? I thought a pass was $1,270 or so.
Does anyone here NOT buy a early season pass?
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

From WCAX:

Another big competitor to Stowe is Killington. While Killington hasn't announced their season pass price for next winter, they tell WCAX they are closely monitoring how other ski areas are reacting to the purchase of Stowe by Vail.

Places with a more local vibe, like Mad River Glen, aren't planning to change a thing. Their passes this year, if bought early, were under $800.

"The second that we start adapting to what other people do, that's the nail in the coffin for us. We have to be proud of who we are, what we're about," said Eric Friedman, Mad River Glen.
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

Looks like the plan is indeed to have Stowe as part of the Epic pass...

http://news.vailresorts.com/corporate/v ... -stowe.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So a Stowe season pass will be $859.00.

Wonder how Killington will respond?
Don't Killington Pico
wannabeskibum
Bumper

Post by wannabeskibum »

boston_e wrote:Looks like the plan is indeed to have Stowe as part of the Epic pass...

http://news.vailresorts.com/corporate/v ... -stowe.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My $639 Epic local pass is looking quite nice (includes 10 days Stowe, Vail, BeaverCreek) -
Skis - Blizzard Brahma 88, Nordica Enforcer 104
Age - over 45 years @ Killington
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

wannabeskibum wrote:
boston_e wrote:Looks like the plan is indeed to have Stowe as part of the Epic pass...

My $639 Epic local pass is looking quite nice (includes 10 days Stowe, Vail, BeaverCreek) -
Does this mean you can only ski 10 days at Stowe total?

Will there be a Stowe only pass or are you SOOL after the 10 days and you have to pay the daily rate ?

The pages says " unlimited, unrestricted access to Stowe Mountain Resort for the 2017-2018 winter season" but then it mentions the 10 days.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

wannabeskibum wrote:

Won't be crowded there on the weekends..........

Let the war begin
da Pimp
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by da Pimp »

I expect them to respond with their typical arrogance, feeling that they have a superior product and hoping that a longer season will negate their crappy lift performances and ancient lodges. Walk up to the K window with $105 and you see a huge line at the K1 which is currently stopped, then you look at the ancient old triple next to it which looks like the crappy chairs at your local and much cheaper tidbit hill, and then you take a gander at the throwback K1 lodge but you can't actually get there without sliding around and feeling at risk on the crappy uncleared walkways.

All of these things would not exist at a Vail Resorts property, or would exist for a very short time before being permanently corrected. Under POWDR, this scenario repeats year after year. "But wait, we invest a lot of capital every year, you just do not see it". Sure we see it. Every time the K1 and Snowdon quad stop and hold on a calm dry day we see their "investment". Time to stop complaining about the poor handling by ASC and start actually making a difference in the lifts. How many years has POWDR been in charge? Lose the South Ridge lift and area, and gain more Magic Carpets and a wooden walkway. Both the carpets and the walkway are good things, but small in comparison to 6-pack bubble canopy chairs down the street. Sorry you lost Park City, how about growing Killington with the K profits?
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

da Pimp wrote:I expect them to respond with their typical arrogance, feeling that they have a superior product and hoping that a longer season will negate their crappy lift performances and ancient lodges. Walk up to the K window with $105 and you see a huge line at the K1 which is currently stopped, then you look at the ancient old triple next to it which looks like the crappy chairs at your local and much cheaper tidbit hill, and then you take a gander at the throwback K1 lodge but you can't actually get there without sliding around and feeling at risk on the crappy uncleared walkways.

All of these things would not exist at a Vail Resorts property, or would exist for a very short time before being permanently corrected. Under POWDR, this scenario repeats year after year. "But wait, we invest a lot of capital every year, you just do not see it". Sure we see it. Every time the K1 and Snowdon quad stop and hold on a calm dry day we see their "investment". Time to stop complaining about the poor handling by ASC and start actually making a difference in the lifts. How many years has POWDR been in charge? Lose the South Ridge lift and area, and gain more Magic Carpets and a wooden walkway. Both the carpets and the walkway are good things, but small in comparison to 6-pack bubble canopy chairs down the street. Sorry you lost Park City, how about growing Killington with the K profits?
Chris Nyberg, year one of Powdr ownership: "We eat what we kill", and most people believed him. Since then, the reality of corporate ownership and management has struck home. Capital allocations are made from corporate headquarters and local profitability, while important, is not the driving factor. Overall corporate performance is key. If returns on invested capital are better elsewhere, that's where the capital will flow.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe