Vail buys Stowe

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

spanky
Site Admin

Re: Vail buys Stowe

Post by spanky »

GnarDawg wrote:What is the typical time frame that the mountain releases pass prices?
Last year, it was March 24th. Or right around then based on this thread...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41585" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

derickson178 wrote:While I agree the Epic pass could be good deal for a lot of people, be careful what you wish for. Stowe already has crowding problems as evidenced MLK weekend when it took friends an hour to get to Stowe lifts from the town of Stowe, and this was at 7am!. Then, going home at 5pm back to town of Stowe, 2 hrs. Complete gridlock. I don't care if the skiing is free, I'm not signing up for that mess. The Epic pass will surely bring more crowds to Stowe, a weekend just like Vail. Vail on with good conditions is basically intolerable. Crazy long lift lines from day trippers and weekend warriors from Denver area. Yet you can drive another 1 1/2 hours to Aspen/Snowmass and the place is empty with much better snow and more terrain. Sometimes the best deal isn't really the best deal if you look at the big picture. Killington will get it dialed in. They have to in order to protect their investment and geographically it blows Stowe away with easier access from NY, NJ, CT, RI, MA, etc.
Exactly why I much prefer Beaver Creek over Vail.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
derickson178
Beginner On Rentals

Post by derickson178 »

Agreed on the Beavercreek reference in regards to no crowds. Unfortunately, the terrain there is much more focused on intermediate and less steeps. And to my main point, there is not a "Beavercreek" alternative to Stowe to avoid the masses. Fortunately, Kton has Pico. Vail's entire model is to get more volume with a lower cost season pass. They will succeed at this. Unfortunately, if you are a weekend skier, I have a feeling the lines (lifts and roads) at Stowe are only going to get worse. 1 road in, 1 road out.
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

I didn't monitor Sugarbush season pass prices last year, but I think they have responded with lower prices in anticipation of competing with the Epic pass...

Sugarbush Adult Premium Pass (ages 40 - 64) for only $799, a Senior Premium Pass (ages 65 - 79) for $699, a Silver Senior Premium Pass (ages 80 - 89) for $149, a 90+ Premium Pass at no cost, a Youth Premium Pass (ages 7 - 18) for $349, a For20s Premium Pass (ages 19 - 29) for $349, and a new For30s Premium Pass (ages 30 - 39) for $549. These spring prices will be available until May 3rd and do not include the 6% sales tax that Vermont charges. All of our Premium Passes are valid every day that Sugarbush is open for skiing and riding, and they also include enrollment in the Mountain Collective program, which offers a 50% discount off the day ticket price at all Mountain Collective members other than Sugarbush
Don't Killington Pico
blakeslee_a
Black Carver

Post by blakeslee_a »

Sugarbush slashed pass prices pretty much a full thousand dollars. Will be interesting to see what K does.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

blakeslee_a wrote:Sugarbush slashed pass prices pretty much a full thousand dollars. Will be interesting to see what K does.
Wonder how many they sell compared to K.

Or for that matter how many does K sell, I had thought someone had said it was like 15000 pases but I can't swear to that #.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
GnarDawg
Green Skidder

Post by GnarDawg »

If the BIG K Dawg slashes prices by half I'm buying one and renting a place in Royalton for the seazzzzzzzzzzzzz. :Toast :Toast :Toast
PinnacleJim
Slalom Racer

Post by PinnacleJim »

blakeslee_a wrote:Sugarbush slashed pass prices pretty much a full thousand dollars. Will be interesting to see what K does.
Senior midweek (Boomer) pass is up 30% :sad:
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

rumor has it K passes will go on sale on/after this coming weekend...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

madhatter wrote:rumor has it K passes will go on sale on/after this coming weekend...
Rumor say anything about any price change ?
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

SnoBrdr wrote:
madhatter wrote:rumor has it K passes will go on sale on/after this coming weekend...
Rumor say anything about any price change ?
nope...that's all I got...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

boston_e wrote: a new For30s Premium Pass (ages 30 - 39) for $549.
This is NUTS. Zero black out days.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Highway Star wrote:
boston_e wrote: a new For30s Premium Pass (ages 30 - 39) for $549.
This is NUTS. Zero black out days.
The Bush making a strong move for unrestricted free agent Highway Star.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

If the Epic passes are actually $800, I will seriously consider putting a Stowe or Sugarbush house or somewhere in between.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Will Stowe sale mean cheaper ski passes elsewhere?

From WCAX

STOWE, Vt. -
Price wars have started among Vermont ski resorts as Vail edges into the Green Mountain State.

We reported several weeks ago that Vail Resorts is purchasing the Stowe Mountain Resort. That's expected to be finalized later this spring, at which time Stowe is likely to be included on Vail Resorts' epic pass. The pass runs $859 and includes access to 15 resorts, many of them in the West.

Already, ski areas near Stowe are taking action.

"We thought we really needed to respond," said Win Smith, the president of Sugarbush. "We decided to unbundle our family pass and have an adult pass at $799 and a child pass at $349. Same for families; cheaper if you don't have children."

That means an adult pass to Sugarbush will be $350 cheaper next season.

Our Nick Borelli will have more on how this transaction could impact the local ski industry tonight on the Channel 3 News at 6 p.m.