Vail buys Stowe

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

PinnacleJim
Slalom Racer

Re: Vail buys Stowe

Post by PinnacleJim »

Vail Resorts is now selling 17/18 Epic passes. No mention of Stowe on the list of resorts. Still running banner that Stowe pass access will be announced shortly. Weird.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

I don't mind paying $700 for my blackout pass. I certainly do not want to go back to the ASC bronze pass days. $350 was great but the weekend crowds were insane. People cry about today's crowds but go back to 2004 and it was a lot worse.
rower
Black Carver

Post by rower »

On the Epic site it says Stowe will be integrated into Epic products after the deal closes.
Seacoaster
Bumper

Post by Seacoaster »

brownman wrote:Gnar, what you describe may be a good Express Pass use case.
Full pass @ $700 is not likely in the cards .. unless Vail decides to declare war on Vermont.

Coaster, adults buying an Epic Pass can buy their kids same pass for $1.

:Toast
Interesting, I'm thinking of buying both K pass as usual as well Epic as we plan to travel a couple of times next year, if we have the option to mix it up with a stowe day here and there, it only furthers the amortization. I've got the stoke for Stowe backcountry action this year so......
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

PinnacleJim wrote:Vail Resorts is now selling 17/18 Epic passes. No mention of Stowe on the list of resorts. Still running banner that Stowe pass access will be announced shortly. Weird.
Guess you don't read the previous posts as this was discussed a couple pages back.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

Seacoaster wrote:
spanky wrote:Sugarbush, Alta, Snowbird and Snowbasin on the Mountain Collective makes that very attractive. Three days at the Bush and 2 each at the UT resorts easily covers the $400 price tag (and kids are $1). Subsequent tickets are 50% off.
Can you expand with details on the kids are $1- part of this statement?
Right on the home page. Kids 12 and under just $1*.

https://mountaincollective.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
GlacierBoy
Black Carver

Post by GlacierBoy »

AIG's CEO resigned this morning under pressure from the Board of Directors, including Carl Icahn. I guess the sale of Stowe to Vail didn't save his job.

Updated March 9, 2017 9:41 a.m. ET
American International Group Inc. said Chief Executive Peter Hancock will resign after two years at the helm of the giant property and casualty insurer, following a major setback in its turnaround plan.
GnarDawg
Green Skidder

Post by GnarDawg »

What is the typical time frame that the mountain releases pass prices?
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

GnarDawg wrote:What is the typical time frame that the mountain releases pass prices?
s/b soon...sugarbush goes on sale the 18th, pico is already on sale, jay is on sale,stratton is on sale, mount snow is on sale...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

madhatter wrote:
GnarDawg wrote:What is the typical time frame that the mountain releases pass prices?
s/b soon...sugarbush goes on sale the 18th, pico is already on sale, jay is on sale,stratton is on sale, mount snow is on sale...
Could Vail/Stowe be waiting until K releases prices and vice versa.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

Those lucky bastards that ski Stowe, maybe Vail will still be interested in Killington down the road.

With a kid heading off to college in Colorado this Fall and Stowe being only 1:45 minutes from our digs in VT, it looks like there is an Epic Pass in my future. Love Stowe anyway, just never motivated enough before to drive the hour and 45 mins with Killington and Okemo both 15 minutes away. Skied Beaver Creek for 2 days in late January for the first time in 25+ years and was blown away by it. A friend gave me (6) 50% off employee vouchers which knocked the day ticket rate from $179 to $90. The skiing is world class but $179 a day is brutal. Hello Epic Pass.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
wannabeskibum
Bumper

Post by wannabeskibum »

KingsFourMan wrote:Those lucky bastards that ski Stowe, maybe Vail will still be interested in Killington down the road.

With a kid heading off to college in Colorado this Fall and Stowe being only 1:45 minutes from our digs in VT, it looks like there is an Epic Pass in my future. Love Stowe anyway, just never motivated enough before to drive the hour and 45 mins with Killington and Okemo both 15 minutes away. Skied Beaver Creek for 2 days in late January for the first time in 25+ years and was blown away by it. A friend gave me (6) 50% off employee vouchers which knocked the day ticket rate from $179 to $90. The skiing is world class but $179 a day is brutal. Hello Epic Pass.

Get yourself the Epic Local - gives you unlimited skiing in Summit County (with only a few black out dates), 10 days - Vail/Beavercreek, as well as unlimited Tahoe, Utah, and some days at Whistler/Blackcomb. Once they announce their plans for Stowe it will probably include a few days at Stowe. Epic Local is $639 (on sale now), with $49 down. It pays for itself in 5 days based on on-line pricing. I have been getting it for years (it is on autorenew). Don't forget the pass insurance for $25- In January, I ruptured my achilles tendon while at Breckenridge. I skied 6 days on the pass (they somehow only counted 5 days) and they valued each day at $75, so they are sending me a check for $234 - the difference between the $375 and the purchase price + tax. Dealing with the insurance was as skiing as filling out a claim form and sending in the medical sheet from the doctor.
Skis - Blizzard Brahma 88, Nordica Enforcer 104
Age - over 45 years @ Killington
derickson178
Beginner On Rentals

Post by derickson178 »

While I agree the Epic pass could be good deal for a lot of people, be careful what you wish for. Stowe already has crowding problems as evidenced MLK weekend when it took friends an hour to get to Stowe lifts from the town of Stowe, and this was at 7am!. Then, going home at 5pm back to town of Stowe, 2 hrs. Complete gridlock. I don't care if the skiing is free, I'm not signing up for that mess. The Epic pass will surely bring more crowds to Stowe, just like Vail. Vail on a weekend with good conditions is basically intolerable. Crazy long lift lines from day trippers and weekend warriors from Denver area. Yet you can drive another 1 1/2 hours to Aspen/Snowmass and the place is empty with much better snow and more terrain. Sometimes the best deal isn't really the best deal if you look at the big picture. Killington will get it dialed in. They have to in order to protect their investment and geographically it blows Stowe away with easier access from NY, NJ, CT, RI, MA, etc.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

derickson178 wrote:While I agree the Epic pass could be good deal for a lot of people, be careful what you wish for. Stowe already has crowding problems as evidenced MLK weekend when it took friends an hour to get to Stowe lifts from the town of Stowe, and this was at 7am!. Then, going home at 5pm back to town of Stowe, 2 hrs. Complete gridlock. I don't care if the skiing is free, I'm not signing up for that mess. WORDThe Epic pass will surely bring more crowds to Stowe, just like Vail. Vail on a weekend with good conditions is basically intolerable. Crazy long lift lines from day trippers and weekend warriors from Denver area. Yet you can drive another 1 1/2 hours to Aspen/Snowmass and the place is empty with much better snow and more terrain. Sometimes the best deal isn't really the best deal if you look at the big picture. Killington will get it dialed in. They have to in order to protect their investment and geographically it blows Stowe away with easier access from NY, NJ, CT, RI, MA, etc.
K don't close in april either....
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

wannabeskibum wrote:
KingsFourMan wrote:Those lucky bastards that ski Stowe, maybe Vail will still be interested in Killington down the road.

Get yourself the Epic Local - gives you unlimited skiing in Summit County (with only a few black out dates), 10 days - Vail/Beavercreek, as well as unlimited Tahoe, Utah, and some days at Whistler/Blackcomb. Once they announce their plans for Stowe it will probably include a few days at Stowe. Epic Local is $639 (on sale now), with $49 down. It pays for itself in 5 days based on on-line pricing. I have been getting it for years (it is on autorenew). Don't forget the pass insurance for $25- In January, I ruptured my achilles tendon while at Breckenridge. I skied 6 days on the pass (they somehow only counted 5 days) and they valued each day at $75, so they are sending me a check for $234 - the difference between the $375 and the purchase price + tax. Dealing with the insurance was as skiing as filling out a claim form and sending in the medical sheet from the doctor.
was planning on doing the max pass add-on next season but the epic local's a fantastic deal. go for 2 weeks and ski for $45/day. lots of choices now.
spoiled South American skiin' whore