Tuesday 2/21/17 report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Tuesday 2/21/17 report

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Day started out with blue skies and lots of sun but changed over to overcast later in the morning. It was another groomer day. Skied everything open at Bear and the worst grooming was on OL. Don't know if it softened up later in the day - I hope so. Everything groomed skied pretty much all the same. They even groomed middle and lower Vertigo. Gone are the seeded moguls. Ovation had been groomed so we skied it twice but the second time the ice was more visible. It still is the best way to get to the K1 from the Superstar area. We found some soft snow on Downdraft and Double Dipper. Cascade skied better today. Northridge groomed trails skied nicely. We did ski an open West Glade (North Ridge) and the moguls on there although not soft were skiable. Powerline was also open but it did not look too good. Found some soft snow on parts of Highline. This afternoon I skied at Snowdon and did all the runs off the poma including the open naturals. Also skied a couple off the Snowdon quad but no naturals. Nothing had softened up and skied basically the same.
DES
Slalom Racer

Re: Tuesday 2/21/17 report

Post by DES »

You only forgot to mention how FAST everything skied! Nice to have complete runs/trails to myself so could feel comfortable going high speed, I can't believe how deserted it was for a holiday week. That was a beautiful clear sky in the morning, from the peak it looked like I could hit ski areas in NY with a snowball if I tried to...I think I actually saw the Jay Peak tram going up the mountain also it was so crystal clear...
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

DES wrote:You only forgot to mention how FAST everything skied! Nice to have complete runs/trails to myself so could feel comfortable going high speed, I can't believe how deserted it was for a holiday week. That was a beautiful clear sky in the morning, from the peak it looked like I could hit ski areas in NY with a snowball if I tried to...I think I actually saw the Jay Peak tram going up the mountain also it was so crystal clear...
I think most people can figure out that if the runs are groomed you ski very fast. Thanks for mentioning how deserted it was. I could not believe how empty the ski club was for a holiday week. Of course, it was better for us that it was empty because you could ski right onto a lift. Yes it was very clear most of the morning and you could see very far.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

tyrolean_skier wrote:
DES wrote:You only forgot to mention how FAST everything skied! Nice to have complete runs/trails to myself so could feel comfortable going high speed, I can't believe how deserted it was for a holiday week. That was a beautiful clear sky in the morning, from the peak it looked like I could hit ski areas in NY with a snowball if I tried to...I think I actually saw the Jay Peak tram going up the mountain also it was so crystal clear...
I think most people can figure out that if the runs are groomed you ski very fast. Thanks for mentioning how deserted it was. I could not believe how empty the ski club was for a holiday week. Of course, it was better for us that it was empty because you could ski right onto a lift. Yes it was very clear most of the morning and you could see very far.
not all groomers are created equal. some days groomers ski faster than others. looks like by tomorrow, things should soften up and the groomers will slow down :lol:
spoiled South American skiin' whore
liv4ski
Bumper

Post by liv4ski »

This is funny. I think I was looking at K from the peak at Jay this morning.
Midwest Skier
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Midwest Skier »

DES wrote:Nice to have complete runs/trails to myself so could feel comfortable going high speed, I can't believe how deserted it was for a holiday week.
Strange that this full week is blackout. If it's so empty, you'd think they'd want more people there buying food and drink.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

tyrolean_skier wrote: Nothing had softened up and skied basically the same.
Condensed version.

Thursday afternoon has potential: Partly sunny, with a high near 52
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Mister Moose wrote:
Condensed version.

Saturday is suppose to be in the 50s too but then Sunday it's back to the 30 and will more than likely be another groomer day.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Mister Moose wrote:
Condensed version.

What a difference a week makes. :wink:
All those stream beds are active again. :sad:
Euphoria is only 10 days away.

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
E O Eleven
Black Carver

Post by E O Eleven »

:zzz
Last edited by E O Eleven on Nov 17th, '22, 10:58, edited 2 times in total.
biged
Slalom Racer

Post by biged »

tyrolean_skier wrote:
Schools have stopped giving this week off which is why attendance is low.
DES
Slalom Racer

Post by DES »

Yup, I had talked with a few groups last Friday, and was surprised at how many schools had off Fri & Monday only, as opposed to this full week...maybe next season there'll be less black-out days for the pass.

brownman- yes, the streambeds will be active again (keeps it interesting though! or at least it's worth a laugh when I say to myself "I can't believe I went too far AGAIN!"), but don't worry, there's still a deep base besides over running water.

liv4ski- really not kidding about seeing the Jay tram (of course I'm not guaranteeing I wasn't seeing things, I may had taken a couple vicodins by then...)

and skiadikt- on the "slower groomer days", it's funny that typically the end-of-day beers go down faster than on the "fast groomer days"...and I have a feeling the beers are going to be flowing tomorrow!
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

So you ski on Vicodin? :?c :?c :?c :?c :?c
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA
Roundtop: 12/22,12/23, 1/8, 1/13, 1/14, 1/17 LR, 1/18 LR, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1//22 LR, 1/23 LR, 1/26, 1/29 LR, 2/2 LR, 2/3, 2/4, 2/7 LR, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/15, 2/16 LR, 2/17, 2/18, 2/19 LR, 2/21 LR, 3/8 LR, 3/9, 3/10

Ski Visits in VT
Okemo: 12/8, 2/29, 3/1, 3/2, 3/18
Stowe: 12/9
Killington: 12/10, 2/25, 2/26, 2/27, 3/16, 3/17

Ski Visits in NY
Hunter: 3/15

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
DES
Slalom Racer

Post by DES »

of course I do, I just can't remember if I'd taken a couple or if I only had taken one by then...but I take vicodin to wash dishes/vacuum the floor/go to church, skiing is just one more thing that would hurt my back...I had burst a vertebra and am fused together now.
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

Sorry about your back, Glad its not just recreational...
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA
Roundtop: 12/22,12/23, 1/8, 1/13, 1/14, 1/17 LR, 1/18 LR, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1//22 LR, 1/23 LR, 1/26, 1/29 LR, 2/2 LR, 2/3, 2/4, 2/7 LR, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/15, 2/16 LR, 2/17, 2/18, 2/19 LR, 2/21 LR, 3/8 LR, 3/9, 3/10

Ski Visits in VT
Okemo: 12/8, 2/29, 3/1, 3/2, 3/18
Stowe: 12/9
Killington: 12/10, 2/25, 2/26, 2/27, 3/16, 3/17

Ski Visits in NY
Hunter: 3/15

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs