Knee Surgeries

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skimom
Beginner On Rentals

Knee Surgeries

Post by skimom »

Curious as how many zoners have had knee replacements and that were a successful enough (or not) to continue skiing. I'm in my mid 50's with two bad knees (thanks Killington :lol: ) and after three operations of cleaning up meniscus tears, along with arthritis, my doctor tells me to live with the pain until it gets too bad and then consider replacement. So I put up with the pain after skiing every year in fear that a replacement might be the end of skiing altogether. Thanks for any feedback
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Re: Knee Surgeries

Post by SnoBrdr »

skimom wrote:Curious as how many zoners have had knee replacements and that were a successful enough (or not) to continue skiing. I'm in my mid 50's with two bad knees (thanks Killington :lol: ) and after three operations of cleaning up meniscus tears, along with arthritis, my doctor tells me to live with the pain until it gets too bad and then consider replacement. So I put up with the pain after skiing every year in fear that a replacement might be the end of skiing altogether. Thanks for any feedback
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/13/trav ... .html?_r=0
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Been living with my right knee after surgery for almost 35 years now. Total knee replacement within the next four years I'm guessing.

I know many people who still ski the same with a new knee. Going to leave the original equipment there until I cannot sleep anymore.

It's affecting my bicycle riding in the summer as the range of motion is only 90 degrees now.

Researching different types of artificial knees and doctors with good outcomes. Jager helps with the pain.
HiKnee.JPG
HiKnee.JPG (90.1 KiB) Viewed 1044 times

https://bonesmart.org/knee/knee-replace ... materials/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Where is Happy Hour ?
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

House dad I used to rent with had both knees replaced at age 70. He is now heading for 82, moved to Utah and skis, trail rides, street rides and roller blades. Just can't keep the man down. If he stops he goes to sleep for a few minutes and is ready to go again. Yep, his surgery is a full success. (Dr. Zimmerman, Hartford Orthopedic Group)
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
skimom
Beginner On Rentals

Post by skimom »

Rusty, Im in the same camp as you. Living with as long as possible. :|

Did not know Jager was good for joints though. Ill give that a try. :banana:
icedtea
Guru Poster

Knee Surgeries

Post by icedtea »

First season back after ACL/MCL/meniscus surgery. Gets stronger every time I get out there. I'm only 34 (crazy where time goes) so I guess I have more fun to look forward to. Pain is weakness leaving the body right?

Strong indicas help.
"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

icedtea wrote:First season back after ACL/MCL/meniscus surgery. Gets stronger every time I get out there. I'm only 34 (crazy where time goes) so I guess I have more fun to look forward to. Pain is weakness leaving the body right?

Strong indicas help.
It took me 3 years to get back from my ACL/MCL surgery. This year I finally feel that my knee is strong without pain. I do feel the meniscus after doing a lot of moguls.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

icedtea wrote:First season back after ACL/MCL/meniscus surgery. Gets stronger every time I get out there. I'm only 34 (crazy where time goes) so I guess I have more fun to look forward to. Pain is weakness leaving the body right?

Strong indicas help.

Tore ACL/MCL/Lateral Meniscus/Medial Meniscus in February 2004. Had dead body parts inserted in April 2004. Was skiing that November and ever since without issue.
ImageImageImageImage
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Think she's talking total knee replacements.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

SnoBrdr wrote:Think she's talking total knee replacements.
She is. I was replying to other comments... 3 years till healed on an ACL repair isn't normal. I skied in 6 months with more repair without issue. Folks shouldn't be afraid of knee repair surgery.
ImageImageImageImage
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Stormchaser wrote:
She is. I was replying to other comments... 3 years till healed on an ACL repair isn't normal. I skied in 6 months with more repair without issue. Folks shouldn't be afraid of knee repair surgery.
Yes, it's not like looking at Bobby Orr's knee or some other older NFL players with the foot long scars on either side of the knee.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Stormchaser wrote:
It might have something to do with age too - I am older than you and recovery takes longer the older you are. BTW I skied way too early after surgery and had a setback because of it. Glad you recovered so quickly.
rower
Black Carver

Post by rower »

When I was 47, had acl reconstruction on March 15. Skied with brace Friday after Thanksgiving, Had checkup after week at Sugarloaf in January at which time I was cleared to ski without a brace. 22 years later have some arthritis in repaired knee which probably would have been worst without surgery. My best ski buddy had knee replacement a few years ago. She has never skied better. Don't be afraid to go for the surgery if it is recommended by doctor.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

As a related side note, I just recently started taking a supplement for joint pain - Glucosamine / Chondrotin / MSM. Its the Osteo Bi-Flex product, specifically the joint shield version with 5-LOXIN (Boswella Serrata), and without Vitamin D3. It's a mainstream product, commonly available at Walmart, etc. It's commonly used by runners and weight lifters, especially at 40 years and older.

It is AWESOME. I started taking it because was getting pain in my shoulder joints from weight lifting, and my knees were starting to feel creaky sometimes. It can supposedly take a couple weeks to really notice a difference, but I'm seeing major improvements in 4 days so far - shoulders, knees and back. Since all joints are complex systems, I'm hoping this supplement will result in an overall improvement in strength and durability in my major joints. Look into it.

I've also been doing full range of motion barbell back squats on and off for about 6 months, which are very good for building strong knee ligaments that support the knee joint. After having a minor knee problem for several months last season, this year my knees have been rock solid.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

FYI:

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-trea ... -knee-pain" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My favorite glucosamine study involved a group of Navy SEALS, and was published in a military medical journal in 1999. The SEALS were younger (average age: 43) and much more active than your typical person with knee osteoarthritis, so I figure they come closer to mimicking the stresses that runners face. Indeed, the study authors noted: "Osteoarthritis is not unexpected in this occupational setting, given the history of high levels of activity and trauma."

The SEALS all suffered from knee osteoarthritis before beginning the double-blind, randomized, 16-week study. Half of them took a supplement containing glucosamine hydrochloride, chondroitin sulfate, and manganese ascorbate; the other half took a placebo. "The relief of knee discomfort was the most important finding of this study," the researchers concluded. "Knee osteoarthritis symptoms were relieved" for the SEALS who took the supplements, an assessment reached both by questioning the patients and by examining their knees.

Among the testimonial e-mails on my desk, the one from Bruce Truax is typical. A self-described "young 53" and a 15- to 25-mile-a-week runner, Truax tore his meniscus three years ago. When his knee pain persisted, his doctor suggested a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement that gradually helped Truax return to pain-free running. "I've been using the supplement ever since," says Truax. "It's great stuff, and I'm a heavy runner at 245 pounds, so I really work the knees hard."
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters