Please don't idle your cars Killington employees

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

killyfan
Blue Chatterbox

Please don't idle your cars Killington employees

Post by killyfan »

I was going to post this on the political board, but since I wanted to be certain that it was seen by the "powers that be" at the resort, I'm sticking it here.

This morning I was parking my car at a local business, and a very recognizable and well-known Killington employee pulled up next to me, hopped out and left his car running. He went inside, took several minutes to make his purchases and then zipped out of the parking lot on his way up the access road.

It really hit me - I'm sitting here in a bone dry parking lot with nothing but mud and grass to look at at the end of February, (and throw in the dust rolling across the road like an apocalypse had just happened) and here is a guy who's very livelihood DEPENDS ON SNOW, yet he doesn't have the courtesy to turn off his car while he is shopping. I don't typically rant in public forums, but we're supposed to be a GREEN RESORT, and one of the most recognizable employees of that same resort is polluting the environment unnecessarily.

No - I'm not a rabid environmentalist. But YES, I do make every attempt to do the right thing and not waste fuel, cause unnecessary emissions, recycle every single thing that I can, and yes, even compost. I think that all of us need to be conscious of their behavior and how it affects our environment. It's been a long, long time since I have seen an "epic non-stop" winter here, and I definitely want to see more in the future.

Please let's all help make our lives more fun and our environment more enjoyable.
In a world where you can be anything, why not choose to be kind...
SkiDork
Site Admin

Re: Please don't idle your cars Killington employees

Post by SkiDork »

agreed, lets all try to be green. I wish the tour buses would also heed this (they idle all day)
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
Seacoaster
Bumper

Post by Seacoaster »

I always have wondered what creates a larger carbon footprint, the idling of a vehicle for a couple of minutes or the inefficiency of start up/shutdown combustion...... And shouldn't the comment be a generalized commentary, not directed at the specific employee for he/she is not alone in this action, calling them a high profile employee to me is irrelevant to the discussion.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

The state of VT has a no idling law. Perhaps folks need to be reminded... I remind MG staff at least once a year to remind bus drivers. Buses arrive at MG at 1-2 am from NYC/Jersey and then idle for 2 hours while everyone finds their rooms and then unloads the bus. Annoying when it's right outside your bedroom window...
ImageImageImageImage
killyfan
Blue Chatterbox

Post by killyfan »

Seacoaster wrote:I always have wondered what creates a larger carbon footprint, the idling of a vehicle for a couple of minutes or the inefficiency of start up/shutdown combustion...... And shouldn't the comment be a generalized commentary, not directed at the specific employee for he/she is not alone in this action, calling them a high profile employee to me is irrelevant to the discussion.
I have read some scientific reports that say that if you're going to need to idle for more than something like 30 seconds it has been proven that it is more environmentally conscious to turn off the vehicle and turn it back on again. I believe the town of Burlington even has a law in effect about idling...

I wasn't sure the resort would notice this post if I didn't use the words "Killington employee" but I made sure to not name any names. I don't want to embarrass anyone, nor get a specific person into any hot water, so I very specifically did not name any names. Just am hoping the resort can remind their staff that they are a GREEN resort, something that a lot of us are very proud of.
killyfan
Blue Chatterbox

Post by killyfan »

Stormchaser wrote:The state of VT has a no idling law. Perhaps folks need to be reminded... I remind MG staff at least once a year to remind bus drivers. Buses arrive at MG at 1-2 am from NYC/Jersey and then idle for 2 hours while everyone finds their rooms and then unloads the bus. Annoying when it's right outside your bedroom window...
Thank you! Anything that we can all do helps. :-)
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

killyfan wrote:
Stormchaser wrote:The state of VT has a no idling law. Perhaps folks need to be reminded... I remind MG staff at least once a year to remind bus drivers. Buses arrive at MG at 1-2 am from NYC/Jersey and then idle for 2 hours while everyone finds their rooms and then unloads the bus. Annoying when it's right outside your bedroom window...

I'm always tempted to move unaccompanied, idling vehicles around the corner and just out of sight. Haven't worked up the courage...
ImageImageImageImage
Nikoli
Poster Child Poster

Post by Nikoli »

Stormchaser wrote:
killyfan wrote:

I'm always tempted to move unaccompanied, idling vehicles around the corner and just out of sight. Haven't worked up the courage...
Had friend do that to a URI police car!
And the sea will grant each man new hope . . .
-Christopher Columbus
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Posting here wont resolve that issue. :sad:
If it's truly buggin' you, confront the offender.
VT Law is 5 minutes in a 60 minute window.

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

I think they should remove all of the lifts and we all hike for our turns, using ski equipment made from natural and renewable resources.
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

throbster wrote:I think they should remove all of the lifts and we all hike for our turns, using ski equipment made from natural and renewable resources.
Like manure
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

throbster wrote:I think they should remove all of the lifts and we all hike for our turns, using ski equipment made from natural and renewable resources.
Or... A Jet Powered Mega Chair. :shock:
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

Who is this horrific K employee. He must be stopped immediately! :twisted:
Bumper

Post by 180 »

agreed. very against idling
killyfan
Blue Chatterbox

Post by killyfan »

brownman wrote:Posting here wont resolve that issue. :sad:
If it's truly buggin' you, confront the offender.
VT Law is 5 minutes in a 60 minute window.

:Toast
I wanted to but he was bigger than me. A LOT bigger! :shock: