How are the woods?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

RustyK
Whipping Post

Re: How are the woods?

Post by RustyK »

Captain Hafski wrote:
Skier77 wrote:How about for the weekend, will the snow stay in the trees and stay open? Is the unmarked all tracked out? Will the snow stay soft and powdery?
Amazing that anyone [eg GSKI] would even respond to this.

The Powder is all gone at the K.

You should go up to Stowe. They got 50+ inches. All powder too. In the woods primarily.

It's also a discount day if you are from CT.
Where is Happy Hour ?
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

RustyK wrote:
Captain Hafski wrote:
Skier77 wrote:How about for the weekend, will the snow stay in the trees and stay open? Is the unmarked all tracked out? Will the snow stay soft and powdery?
Amazing that anyone [eg GSKI] would even respond to this.

The Powder is all gone at the K.

You should go up to Stowe. They got 50+ inches. All powder too. In the woods primarily.

It's also a discount day if you are from CT.
Does this mean you will be at Stowe this weekend?
DES
Slalom Racer

Post by DES »

Ya, didn't get too tracked from Thursday non-crowd (most regulars seemed to go to Pico instead?), but we whaled on the mt today, sorry to you weekend warriors...you be lucky to find 10-15 straight/unmarked turns in just about any woods now! Good luck though.
icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

DES wrote:Ya, didn't get too tracked from Thursday non-crowd (most regulars seemed to go to Pico instead?), but we whaled on the mt today, sorry to you weekend warriors...you be lucky to find 10-15 straight/unmarked turns in just about any woods now! Good luck though.
There might be a nor' incher tonight.
"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Sorry I didnt get this posted earlier. Snow snake about one foot.down that.gave me no advance warning. Poma glades at.Pico last Friday.
Attachments
After the faceplant
After the faceplant
2017-03-20 06.29.06.jpg (279.45 KiB) Viewed 412 times
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Captain Hafski wrote:Sorry I didnt get this posted earlier. Snow snake about one foot.down that.gave me no advance warning. Poma glades at.Pico last Friday.
Those snow snakes as well as stumps and rocks are horrible when they are hidden by new snow. Always worried when I am skiing fresh powder in the woods but can't resist going in there.
wannabeskibum
Bumper

Post by wannabeskibum »

tyrolean_skier wrote:
Captain Hafski wrote:Sorry I didnt get this posted earlier. Snow snake about one foot.down that.gave me no advance warning. Poma glades at.Pico last Friday.
Those snow snakes as well as stumps and rocks are horrible when they are hidden by new snow. Always worried when I am skiing fresh powder in the woods but can't resist going in there.
Yes, those buried stumps and rocks are even known to get you a ruptured achilles tendon - I am now 8 weeks post surgery, 4 more weeks to go before I can walk without an air boot.
Skis - Blizzard Brahma 88, Nordica Enforcer 104
Age - over 45 years @ Killington
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

Well, maybe K will start taking a more aggressive approach to cleaning and smoothing up the glades, in return for the glades they have ruined with the bike trails.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

ME2VTSkier wrote:Well, maybe K will start taking a more aggressive approach to cleaning and smoothing costs moneyup the glades, in return for the glades they have ruined with the bike trailsmakes money.
that said it would be nice if during the maintenance and eventual restructuring/rebuilding of trails at ramshead the backsides of the berms got some attn and were shaped/smoothed some in order to facilitate better skiing terrain...right now the backsides of many of them are rock strewn ditches and gullies that are "blind" from the uphill side...

It still remains to be seen what things will look and ski like over there in a prawpah wintah where we get some decent snowpack that sticks around and builds up...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

madhatter wrote:
ME2VTSkier wrote:Well, maybe K will start taking a more aggressive approach to cleaning and smoothing costs moneyup the glades, in return for the glades they have ruined with the bike trailsmakes money.
that said it would be nice if during the maintenance and eventual restructuring/rebuilding of trails at ramshead the backsides of the berms got some attn and were shaped/smoothed some in order to facilitate better skiing terrain...right now the backsides of many of them are rock strewn ditches and gullies that are "blind" from the uphill side...

It still remains to be seen what things will look and ski like over there in a prawpah wintah where we get some decent snowpack that sticks around and builds up...

A couple of those were very launchable on Wednesday and Thursday - Very dangerous by Saturday........
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

ME2VTSkier wrote:Well, maybe K will start taking a more aggressive approach to cleaning and smoothing up the glades, in return for the glades they have ruined with the bike trails.
POST OF THE YEAR !!!!

:like :like :like :like :like :like :like :like :like
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

hillbangin wrote:
madhatter wrote:

A couple of those were very launchable on Wednesday and Thursday - Very dangerous by Saturday........
Had fun skiing Wednesday and Thursday with one double eject superman from a boulder, and one lawn dart (yes boys and girls, head first with my arms by my side buried to the waist in snow with my ski bottoms skyward) from a yet to be determined object. Lucky not to sustain injury. Landed on another hidden boulder and blew up the tail of my new skis. Big and round, recently excavated and hidden by snow drifts next to the new bike features in the woods. I know we all take the risk of hitting hidden features in the woods, but K doesn't need to be adding to it...
ImageImageImageImage
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Stormchaser wrote:
hillbangin wrote:
madhatter wrote:

Had fun skiing Wednesday and Thursday with one double eject superman from a boulder, and one lawn dart (yes boys and girls, head first with my arms by my side buried to the waist in snow with my ski bottoms skyward) from a yet to be determined object. Lucky not to sustain injury. Landed on another hidden boulder and blew up the tail of my new skis. Big and round, recently excavated and hidden by snow drifts next to the new bike features in the woods. I know we all take the risk of hitting hidden features in the woods, but K doesn't need to be adding to it...
you'd think they'd organize a cleanse the glades day - no saws - just clean up the big stuff that was down.

Wouldn't that be good for the environment?
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Stormchaser wrote:
hillbangin wrote:
madhatter wrote:

isn't that exactly what the stash is?
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

madhatter wrote:
Stormchaser wrote:
hillbangin wrote:
madhatter wrote:

isn't that exactly what the stash is?
By hidden features, I mean logs and boulders from trail and jump construction, not the jumps and berms themselves. Clean construction, minimizing leftover debris is all I'm seeking.
ImageImageImageImage