closed trails?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

random1
Blue Chatterbox

closed trails?

Post by random1 »

I understand why they might list some of the trees (like all of Bear?!) closed, but Fiddle? Is it to wait for the weekend? There is no way that is not skiable. Upper Catwalk and Cascade Headwall? I would maybe believe that on 3ft of snow you're a little too close to the gondola on Cascade? Just curious. Looking forward to tracked out remnants this weekend regardless!
madhatter
Signature Poster

Re: closed trails?

Post by madhatter »

random1 wrote:I understand why they might list some of the trees (like all of Bear?!) closed, but Fiddle? Is it to wait for the weekend? There is no way that is not skiable. Upper Catwalk and Cascade Headwall? I would maybe believe that on 3ft of snow you're a little too close to the gondola on Cascade? Just curious. Looking forward to tracked out remnants this weekend regardless!
windscour and sun damage still have lots of rocks exposed since there was little base left before stella...there is actually BARE ground at the top of old needles....that said the skiing is still VERY good...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Noticed the Growler and Centerpiece are also closed.

I'm sure they are all tracked out already....Geez :roll:

Much more opened at STOWE and JAY!
Where is Happy Hour ?
random1
Blue Chatterbox

Post by random1 »

RustyK wrote:Noticed the Growler and Centerpiece are also closed.

To be fair, Jay is reporting 74" in the last 7 days!
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

random1 wrote:
RustyK wrote:Noticed the Growler and Centerpiece are also closed.

To be fair, Jay is reporting 74" in the last 7 days!
good luck to anyone going to jay this weekend...but since we're being fair everywhere should see big crowds this weekend...some will deal with them better than others...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
liv4ski
Bumper

Post by liv4ski »

Stowe was fantastic today. Way more base than K.
random1
Blue Chatterbox

Post by random1 »

madhatter wrote: good luck to anyone going to jay this weekend...but since we're being fair everywhere should see big crowds this weekend...some will deal with them better than others...
Never been, my son's going for the w/e. Huge lift lines? I thought it's far enough to get to that it'd be ok?
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

random1 wrote:
madhatter wrote: good luck to anyone going to jay this weekend...but since we're being fair everywhere should see big crowds this weekend...some will deal with them better than others...
Never been, my son's going for the w/e. Huge lift lines? I thought it's far enough to get to that it'd be ok?
Close to Montreal. I've seen seriously long lift lines during holiday periods - 30-40 min.
ImageImageImageImage
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Stormchaser wrote:
random1 wrote:
Close to Montreal. I've seen seriously long lift lines during holiday periods - 30-40 min.
I thought I saw a post from them on FB about being booked up full for the weekend w some quebec vacation week thing going on... can;t find it now...suffice it to say many will travel from far and wide to see 70" in person...lifts there are slow and have long lines just about every weekend...I like jay, but midweek in april....if crowds and lines don't bother you ( and many take it all as part of the skiing experience) then jay probably has the most snow as far as fresh and deep goes...temps s/b decent too...

madhatter is all about crack of noon, lift side parking, booting up in the parking lot, skiing directly on to the lift and banging out non stop vertical til it closes...I got no time fer all day at the mountain, chit chat, sammiches, beers,lodges, lift lines, crowds, resting or any of that non-ski related stuff... :D ( and if that's what you like then jay is not the place to go on midwinter weekends esp after the 70 " hype)
mach es sehr schnell

Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Hit my day 100 at Stowe today. Way more snow at Stowe and I skied all the storm days at Killington. Steep trees between Starr and National were very nice.
Attachments
Our Guide
Our Guide
IMG_2864.jpg (114.81 KiB) Viewed 707 times
Go Green
Go Green
IMG_2869.jpg (115.36 KiB) Viewed 707 times
Boarder down
Boarder down
IMG_2873.jpg (105.76 KiB) Viewed 707 times
Steep powder
Steep powder
IMG_2887.jpg (89.97 KiB) Viewed 707 times
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

madhatter wrote:
random1 wrote:I understand why they might list some of the trees (like all of Bear?!) closed, but Fiddle? Is it to wait for the weekend? There is no way that is not skiable. Upper Catwalk and Cascade Headwall? I would maybe believe that on 3ft of snow you're a little too close to the gondola on Cascade? Just curious. Looking forward to tracked out remnants this weekend regardless!
windscour and sun damage still have lots of rocks exposed since there was little base left before stella...there is actually BARE ground at the top of old needles....that said the skiing is still VERY good...
what hatter said ... the 30" was great for a day or so but some of it was on bare ground. every flake's been skied to within an inch of it's life and only someone with the terrain acumen of g.i.s. can find untracked now. probably a minority view, but i thought the mtn skied better the week before pres weekend. that snow all fell on a deep solid base. skied the trees with total impunity then. the bear trees in particular rocked. now i'd be careful at the lower elevations. ski patrol had a difficult rescue in growler wednesday. don't get me wrong the skiing's been awesome but the fact a number of trails are closed is a tell.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

The warm spell killed off all the base with the exception of some on Julio and Anarchy since they face kind of northern and they are higher up on the mountain. All the other tree trails are very bony. Royal Flush held up ok for awhile since it has few rocks on it.
random1
Blue Chatterbox

Post by random1 »

skiadikt wrote:
madhatter wrote:
random1 wrote:probably a minority view, but i thought the mtn skied better the week before pres weekend. that snow all fell on a deep solid base.
I don't doubt it. That previous Sunday as the snow started to really hammer down at lunchtime, was great. 12-4 that Sunday was my best skiing of the season. Looking forward to this weekend though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

random1 wrote:
skiadikt wrote:
madhatter wrote:
random1 wrote:probably a minority view, but i thought the mtn skied better the week before pres weekend. that snow all fell on a deep solid base.
I don't doubt it. That previous Sunday as the snow started to really hammer down at lunchtime, was great. 12-4 that Sunday was my best skiing of the season. Looking forward to this weekend though.
Apples and baked apples.

February's snows came in smaller doses on a slick base. Much more slid off and skied off. March's 3 day event fell on a far less slick base, the initial 10 inches was a firmer binder course, and the total was higher. The result: March's surface post storm has some exquisite buttercream coverage that has endured far better (off the interstate highways and scoured areas. Skyehawk skiers right is a mess, even the rocks got windburn, skiers far left is one side of a half pipe from the gun blow over).
icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

GSKI wrote:The warm spell killed off all the base with the exception of some on Julio and Anarchy since they face kind of northern and they are higher up on the mountain. All the other tree trails are very bony. Royal Flush held up ok for awhile since it has few rocks on it.
Exactly, no base but most lines are tracked so you should be able to notice the snow snakes?

Did anyone hit Hibernator?
"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh