Winter etiquette still applies

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Winter etiquette still applies

Post by ANGUS »

Just a reminder. Winter is still here. I ran into a kindly old gentleman in the bays yesterday. I think he's a regular. (Despite the Jersey plate) He was stuck in the snowbank over by the cat shed. Trying to climb the hill he slid. I gave him a quick pull with the chain and he was on his way. So if you see someone in need help them out. If you can safely do so. Especially a fellow skier or boarder. Karma will give and take. I know first hand. A competitor saw me stuck the other night. They didn't hesitate to pull me out.
GSKI
Powderhound

Re: Winter etiquette still applies

Post by GSKI »

Does that apply before a powder day or after you are done? What if you are not a long timer that has a lot of powder days under your belt? If you have no chain or a good vehicle you may be of no help at all yet filled with good intentions only delaying credible help from getting involved thinking things are being dealt with. "Helping" may in fact be hurting. I think there is some wiggle room here.
GlacierBoy
Black Carver

Post by GlacierBoy »

So it would be okay to idle my auto to help someone !?

I think I would only stop to help KillyFan in her size 4 ski pants and that Brazilian guy with the girlfriend who wants to ski and not be in sunny Cali.!

Are YOU car idle worthy !? Are ya!? Mass-holes need not apply. ;)
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

This thread has MASSIVE POTENTIAL! We need lots of trolls as well. Great fun.
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

I was once driving to the mountain during the massive Valentines day storm years ago and saw somebody drive off the road right in front of me. There was nothing I could do to help and it was obvious there were no injuries. I kept on driving. Great day!
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

Valid points gentlemen.
If you have no ability to lend a hand or are having a pow emergency keep on trucking.
In full disclosure I never shut my truck off. That's just dumb. I endorse the right to idle.
If I thought it was the troll of the month I would have kept on my way.
We've all been buried in in the winter. It sucks!
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

If it's a stuck snowboarder and a skier stops to help, is it still considered a good deed? :lol: :wink:
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

If it's a stuck snowboarder and a skier stops to help, is it still considered a good deed
If you were with the stuck snowboarder in deep powder and you thought he was ok and kept of skiing cause it was such a great day only to find out later he broke his collar bone in a fall you thought was not so bad then he will never forgive you! Believe you I know! If he wants to hit the mountain next week let me know which day.
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Will never forget years ago when I had my '99 Saab, two-door, and a new truck ended up in the ditch at Bay 1 . . . I mentioned, "oh, I have a "come-along" in my trunk . . . the look on everyone's face was priceless . . . it worked - of course, I did nothing - all the 'guys' handled the situation :mrgreen:
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

GSKI wrote:I was once driving to the mountain during the massive Valentines day storm years ago and saw somebody drive off the road right in front of me. There was nothing I could do to help and it was obvious there were no injuries. I kept on driving. Great day!
How was it "obvious" while you were driving by?

You should have stopped your car, letting it idle of course and checked on the other people.

Did the accident victim shut off their or was it left to idle till the wrecker showed up.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

It was a very slow speed slide off the road into a snow bank on the access road. Nothing dramatic and nothing I could have done. Anywho POWER DAY!
FDSKIER
Beginner On Rentals

Post by FDSKIER »

About half the adults don't know how to alternate in the lift mazes..
And you think they would stop and help someone in a snowbank?

I doubt 20% of grown men can change a tire let alone hook up tow chains...
GlacierBoy
Black Carver

Post by GlacierBoy »

A couple of years ago, we were staying in Sandy, Utah with plans to ski Alta/Snowbird. This was mid-week. Well, the night before, the skies opened and over 1.5 feet of pow-pow fell.
So what happened? ALL the locals, tourists, and their mothers rushed to Little Cottonwood Canyon cuz it was a POWDER DAY! Powder day rules apply - ski before work!! And the Canyon road was limited to chains and 4x4s.

Not only was Little Cottonwood Canyon Road jam-packed at 8AM, but the all the access roads to the Canyon entry were bumper-to-bumper. We thought we'd pull a little New Yawk street smarts and found some shortcuts to a PArk-N-Ride Lot. Lot was jammed with cars and unplowed with axle deep snow. Employees at the resorts were freaking out as the shuttle to Alta/Bird were stopped and they were gonna be late for work. Not helping ya and your stuck car, loser tourists!

Anyway, our rental car with 4-season tires (no snow tires at Hertz) got stuck in no-Parking spot (risk of $100+ ticket and towed)and spun out at a bad angle boxed in by cars. No one stopped to help. No one cared, as it was a Pow-pow day! We trudged to a local supermarket to try to buy a shovel. Luckily, a tow truck stopped to get gas, and we caught him and asked for help. So for a $50 he was a good citizen and pulled us out at 45% angle.

By the time we got in the clear, the Canyon road was clear and we had clear driving and parked at Alta above Widlcat. We found some freshies but blew a lot of gas idling and spinning in place.

Moral of Story: No friends on a Pow day. Car Idling and $^@# happens. Folks will not stop or help you on a pow morning in the Cottonwoods. And yo! Alta is for skiers.