Saturday, March 18 report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

GlacierBoy
Black Carver

Saturday, March 18 report

Post by GlacierBoy »

Okay, I wanna be first! What a great day at The Beast! Crowds were not so bad and the snow is soft (most places) and warm and soft.
Runs of the Day: Powerline and Double Dipper. Soft and supple
Crap Run: lower Ovation- hit it late morning and we could not ski the ice. (Hey, 19 days skiing out West will soil ya!)
Idling Report- sorry, KillyFan, we idled the auto tinwarm up this morning and gain while picking up skis at Peak Perff
GRADE: A-. Would have been an A if we had not skied so many days out West
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Re: Saturday, March 18 report

Post by Captain Hafski »

Afternoon Report. Good day all in all but not 'best of the season'. Highlights were the great weather with ample sun and though crowded, very spread out for the most part and no lines to speak of (avoided SPQ and K1).

Disappointed on the cover in the woods. Some places better than others but was overall not real good. Snowdon woods for example I was hitting stuff everywhere.

Did our normal lap up Skyeship, through Needles Eye, Superstar area, Snowdon, Canyon, Southridge and Bear. ROTD was a tie between Stichline (very good cover), Northstart, and Double Dipper. WROTD, as already mentioned was Ovation. Not real good in the middle section and scary on first half of the lower section. Folks that skied it early in the day liked it. Very icey when I got to it and kept shooting me into the rocky right side. I did hear it was skiable hard right.

Thimble OK. Old Bitter headwall very good. I thought Patsys sucked. West Glade / East Fall were good and heard good report on lower Cascade. Southridge pretty good with Pipe Dream being the better choice. Stash OK as well. Valley Plunge pretty good but one extended 'thin cover' area to deal with.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

I think most has been covered by the other two reports. I only have to add that Old Superstar was wonderful on Saturday with very nice soft snow. Also enjoyed skiing some unnamed woods that had good snow. Juanita was not bad at all and we managed to find a way to avoid the rock garden at the bottom. I was skiing with Powday and he sampled the Vertigo headwall and confirmed that the rocks were quite prevalent. Entering the lower part of Vertigo was a challenge because of the iciness and rocks. The Dreammaker headwall had quite a few rocks to avoid but otherwise was enjoyable.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Thanx Ty. I passed up on Vertigo headwall.as.well
Now.wish I had gone for the dream maker one.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Started over at the South ridge for some trees turns.

Then over to Bear with 3 runs on Growler with surprisingly good cover and untracked near my usual exit by space walk.

Got too busy there so over to Needles for more undisclosed trees. Met up with SBF and Tricks and crew.

Somewhere/nowhere not bad but thinner.

Juanita good, but the usual rock garden issues.Found Capboy.

Canyon runs all afternoon. Never really did any trails. Just woods.

Last chair up to Low rider, which was thin for sure. Great Pickle happy hour with Whiteout and crew.

One of the better days at the K for me...
Where is Happy Hour ?
Sergio2232
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Sergio2232 »

Saturday was the stuff wet dreams are made of !!! Awesome conditions until the end of the day, I did find a few large ice patches after 2:00. Sunny, blue skies, hardly any wind. Surprisingly I didn't really see the crowds that one would expect the weekend after 33inches of snow, but since mostly everyone got dumped on I guess Killington wasn't the only place to go. Cheers to the same this following weekend, conditions and population on the hill.