Things not to miss at Sunday River?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Stache
Poster Child Poster

Things not to miss at Sunday River?

Post by Stache »

Next week I have to drive up to SR on the 29th, get a good night's sleep and pick up a bus load of Brits on the 30th to take them back to NYC and JFK. Rather than leave at 3 pm I have permission to leave at 3 am and take my skiis for a day at the River. Bucket List item is to ski "Monday Mourning". What else is a SR must hit, see, or do?
Stache

2018-19
Killington = 2
Whaleback = 1
Dartmouth Skiway =
Ballzout
Bumper

Re: Things not to miss at Sunday River?

Post by Ballzout »

Matterhorn Ski Bar for a couple of beverages when you're finished skiing.
2021-2022 season total days: 18

Killington, VT: 2
Ski Roundtop, PA: 3..........Ski Whitetail, PA: 5............Ski Liberty, PA: 3
Jack Frost, PA: 0.......... Okemo, VT: 2............Stowe, VT: 3
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

I was there yesterday. It is still open. You should ride the Spruce Peak triple, awesome terrain off that lift! :D
They do close some lifts midweek similar to Killington and some are old and slow. Lift 1 was on hold yesterday which shut down one peak for the day ( maybe for this week waiting for a part) and this was a high speed quad! Weather was not a factor as it was a 10. Mountain did look wind scoured from the storm in places, but plenty of snow in the woods. Dick C is a regular along with Machski.
Last edited by Big Bob on Mar 21st, '17, 06:31, edited 2 times in total.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

Shock Wave off the White Heat Quad.
!!!!!!!!!! MAKE AMERICA LOVE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Never miss the Bus.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
snowmaster
Green Skidder

Post by snowmaster »

All of the Jordan trails are worth doing once. Black Hole is a nice pitch on Aurora. Spruce is without a lift, so not really anything worth hiking for. I like the two backside trails on North Peak that lead down to Aurora. Lazy River on Barker, as well as Ecstacy and Jungle Road over to Locke. On Locke, if the chair is running, try Bim's or T2, if not, I've always had a soft spot for wildfire. On White Cap, Obsession and the trails that zig and zag between it and Locke; also Tempest. If the glades are in good shape, it's hard to go wrong. I like Blind Ambition for a gentler pitch and Wizard's Gulch for some steeper path-pickin'.
Stache
Poster Child Poster

Post by Stache »

Guy in Shorts wrote:Never miss the Bus.
:like
Stache

2018-19
Killington = 2
Whaleback = 1
Dartmouth Skiway =
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

flyin' monkeys
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Dear Rusty,

We're officially one day into spring and can say without a doubt that this is the best we’ve had it in years. With five feet of snow in February and another two feet last week, the stockpiles are deep and we're skiing wall-to-wall on all 135 trails and eight mountain peaks. Set your alarm, pack your sunscreen, and get ready—the sun and fun index is through the roof.

Spring Pass Flash Sale
We're giving you one last chance at spring's best deal. The Spring Fling Pass gets you unlimited skiing from this Saturday, March 25 to closing day on May 1 for just $149. This flash sale ends Wednesday, March 22 at midnight. Take the savings and stock up on sunscreen.

Some Like It Hot
Expect chills, thrills, and plenty of spills this Sunday at the Master of the Hose Race, where men and women in full firefighting turnout take to the slopes to race each other, and Sunday River’s very own snowmakers. It’s the ultimate contest, not to be confused with “The Contest,” and is followed by our annual Chili Cook-Off at noon. Beer will be served.

New Millennial Pass
If you’re a snow-loving man or woman between the ages of 19 and 29, we have a deal for you. The new 2017-18 Sunday River Millennial Pass is just $399 through April 30. And just like 2017-18 New England Passes, you can lock in the spring rate with just $50 down, or buy your pass now and use it to ski free this spring.
Where is Happy Hour ?
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

If you like "Make Big Super G turns / pretend you are Bode Miller" groomed type of trails Obsession off of White Cap is usually great for that.
Don't Killington Pico
GnarDawg
Green Skidder

Post by GnarDawg »

Not sure if these will be open but if they are these are my must ski trails.

Agony
Hollywood
Northern Exposure
Gnarnia
Ruby Palace
Caramba
Quantum Leap
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Stache wrote:What else is a SR must hit, see, or do?
Sugarloaf.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
Andrew B.
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Andrew B. »

I second the small hike up to Bim's (great vista) is well worth it but if its midweek the Lock lift will likely be closed. You can see Mt Washington from the top of the Jordan lift. speaking of small hikes; Spruce is skiing great. access from Aurora lift and then ski Borealis and 200 yard hike up Sirius. Gnarnia was skiing great but I didn't hit it this weekend
skied Shockwave Sunday and I wouldn't recommend it unless its late in the afternoon of a warm up. of course the steepest widest longest.......... :roll: may not live up to the hype but is a great "fall line" run none the less
the trees were all open and in play this weekend. steep trees try the glades on Whitecap or around OZ, for lower angle woods try last tango or blind ambition.
as you mentioned ripping down T2>Monday Morning is a GS ski's dream(access T2 from Jungle road if Locke lift is closed)
Right stuff is a fun steep groomed trail off Barker. if bumps are your thing hit Agony
check out the new bar in the peak lodge and say hi to Joe and/or Kevin :D
Andrew B.
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Andrew B. »

GnarDawg wrote:Not sure if these will be open but if they are these are my must ski trails.

Agony
Hollywood
Northern Exposure
Gnarnia
Ruby Palace
Caramba
Quantum Leap
+1
except QL. it was in rough shape
the rest were open this weekend. NE was looking thread bare by Sunday afternoon
skixc2
Black Carver