Re: Madhatter's 2017 Garden Thread

Post by Mister Moose »

Chipmunks.
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Mister Moose wrote:Chipmunks.
Why yes, that must be it . . . thanks . . .
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

tyrolean_skier wrote:
daytripper wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote:Been very busy painting the inside of my house so the garden has suffered a bit. I noticed that the weeds are taking over. I will have to go out there soon and remove them.

Skiadikt, your garden looks great. I am almost done eating the lettuce and the radishes. I've picked my first tomatoes and grape tomatoes and cucumbers. String beans are coming along too.

In the flower garden, some of my impatients have died or are in the process of dying. I will have to find some other type of flowers to replace them. The rose bushes seem to have some kind of fungus and I need to spray them but have not found the time to do it.
Impatient can't take full sun when it's hot out, in part shade they do great.....try petunias in full sun, they are pretty drought resistant as well.
I know all about impatients not doing well in the sun and these were planted in areas that they get partial sun (in the shade most of the day). Strange that others planted in other areas (also in partial sun) are doing fine.
The likely source is an airborne fungus that has spread far and wide by wind. Be careful, it could spread to your roses, tomatoes and other plants.

https://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/ya ... landscape/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
!!!!!!!!!! MAKE AMERICA LOVE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

f.a.s.t. wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote:Been very busy painting the inside of my house so the garden has suffered a bit. I noticed that the weeds are taking over. I will have to go out there soon and remove them.

Skiadikt, your garden looks great. I am almost done eating the lettuce and the radishes. I've picked my first tomatoes and grape tomatoes and cucumbers. String beans are coming along too.

In the flower garden, some of my impatients have died or are in the process of dying. I will have to find some other type of flowers to replace them. The rose bushes seem to have some kind of fungus and I need to spray them but have not found the time to do it.
The likely source is an airborne fungus that has spread far and wide by wind. Be careful, it could spread to your roses, tomatoes and other plants.

https://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/ya ... landscape/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My roses are infected by something that seems to happen every summer. Leaves get brown spots and then they get yellow and fall off. They are fine in the spring but once the heat starts this seems to happen. I have sprayed them in the past and will need to do so again soon.
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

Doesn't get any more local than this. Haddock caught by f.a.s.t. and Mrs. f.a.s.t. off the New Hampshire coast on Sunday was soaked in buttermilk for 2 hours, lightly battered with flour and cornmeal, then fried with a knob of butter and canola oil. Picked cherry tomato, cucumber and basil this morning from our back yard garden for our salad. The zucchini and summer squash was also picked this morning and then sautéed in a homemade brown butter and a little fresh cracked pepper and black salt.
Attachments
SAM_1324.JPG
SAM_1324.JPG (414.6 KiB) Viewed 624 times
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

f.a.s.t. wrote:Doesn't get any more local than this. Haddock caught by f.a.s.t. and Mrs. f.a.s.t. off the New Hampshire coast on Sunday was soaked in buttermilk for 2 hours, lightly battered with flour and cornmeal, then fried with a knob of butter and canola oil. Picked cherry tomato, cucumber and basil this morning from our back yard garden for our salad. The zucchini and summer squash was also picked this morning and then sautéed in a homemade brown butter and a little fresh cracked pepper and black salt.
Looks very yummy.
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

Looks good for healthy food. :|
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

this mornings harvest. leave town for a few days and things go wild. bad enough i'm eating either peas, green beans or snow peas everyday. next year better planning. anyone need any zucchini ...
harvest.jpg
harvest.jpg (106.38 KiB) Viewed 569 times
spoiled South American skiin' whore
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

skiadikt wrote:this mornings harvest. leave town for a few days and things go wild. bad enough i'm eating either peas, green beans or snow peas everyday. next year better planning. anyone need any zucchini ...
harvest.jpg
Very nice haul, well done.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Did you grow the broccoli and blueberries as well? You're quite the farmer.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

tyrolean_skier wrote:Did you grow the broccoli and blueberries as well? You're quite the farmer.
broccoli yes. blueberry bushes were there. just bird proofed them. looking to plant raspberry & blackberry this fall.

the zukes have been unbelievable. that's half the harvest w/more coming. planted 2 green & 2 yellow plants but for some reason the yellows have been twice as prolific.

anxiously waiting to see what the brussels do. plants looking good. and the tomatoes ...
spoiled South American skiin' whore
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

skiadikt wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote:Did you grow the broccoli and blueberries as well? You're quite the farmer.
broccoli yes. blueberry bushes were there. just bird proofed them. looking to plant raspberry & blackberry this fall.

the zukes have been unbelievable. that's half the harvest w/more coming. planted 2 green & 2 yellow plants but for some reason the yellows have been twice as prolific.

anxiously waiting to see what the brussels do. plants looking good. and the tomatoes ...
Dirtadkt would have loved all these vegetables. You need to plant some flowers in her honor too.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

skiadikt wrote:

brussels will be much better after they have frozen on the stalk a few times...don;t be afraid to spray w BT....all yer doing by not spraying is allowing more cabbage worms to breed...mix it w some molasses or corn syrup to help it stick to the leaves...GIS may be able to help w raspberries check in w him...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

Madhatter let's see what you got growing...
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

freeski wrote:Madhatter let's see what you got growing...
having issues getting pics off my phone....USB keeps disconnecting before I can download...

lots of beans, peas just finished, lots of zucch and summer squash...I need to take my regular camera out and take some pics...been really busy w all this bike stuff and what not...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....