Madhatter's 2017 Garden Thread

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

freeski
Post Office

Re: Madhatter's 2017 Garden Thread

Post by freeski »

One Pumpkin plant. Something ate the other.
8 Tomatoes.
14 Jalapeno Peppers. Grown from seed from my over wintered plant.
10 Cucumbers. Direct sown.

Three flower beds.
I'll put some pictures up when I have something of interest.

I'm going to name my biggest pumpkin Shortski. 8)
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

on this day in 2009:
710 am
in the fortys again last nite ( currently 48) guess ya can pretty much forget about vt grown tomato's this summer unless they're greenhouse grown.
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

garden going gangbusters. peas & zucchini every night for dinner :-) made a few mistakes but doing well so far. keeps me out of trouble.
broccoli
broccoli
IMG_1169.jpg (308.46 KiB) Viewed 605 times
IMG_1170.jpg
IMG_1170.jpg (220.44 KiB) Viewed 605 times
yellow zucchini
yellow zucchini
IMG_1173.jpg (349.36 KiB) Viewed 605 times
IMG_1175.jpg
IMG_1175.jpg (201.81 KiB) Viewed 605 times
IMG_1171.jpg
IMG_1171.jpg (402.28 KiB) Viewed 605 times
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

skiadikt wrote: peas & zucchini every night for dinner.
That's some nice looking broccoli. But you know you don't have to grow zucchini, you can go hunt the big ones in the woods up there.
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

Nice summer squash.

Had some decent poppies. Now California poppies are blooming.
DSC00900.jpg
DSC00900.jpg (267.29 KiB) Viewed 594 times
Pink willow during a thunder storm.
DSC01180.jpg
DSC01180.jpg (129.12 KiB) Viewed 594 times
Leather leaf viburnum. These are great shrubs. The white flowers turn to red berries and the leaves turn purple and some stay on all winter.
DSC01150.jpg
DSC01150.jpg (289.37 KiB) Viewed 594 times
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Been very busy painting the inside of my house so the garden has suffered a bit. I noticed that the weeds are taking over. I will have to go out there soon and remove them.

Skiadikt, your garden looks great. I am almost done eating the lettuce and the radishes. I've picked my first tomatoes and grape tomatoes and cucumbers. String beans are coming along too.

In the flower garden, some of my impatients have died or are in the process of dying. I will have to find some other type of flowers to replace them. The rose bushes seem to have some kind of fungus and I need to spray them but have not found the time to do it.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

tyrolean_skier wrote:Been very busy painting the inside of my house so the garden has suffered a bit. I noticed that the weeds are taking over. I will have to go out there soon and remove them.

Skiadikt, your garden looks great. I am almost done eating the lettuce and the radishes. I've picked my first tomatoes and grape tomatoes and cucumbers. String beans are coming along too.

In the flower garden, some of my impatients have died or are in the process of dying. I will have to find some other type of flowers to replace them. The rose bushes seem to have some kind of fungus and I need to spray them but have not found the time to do it.
Impatient can't take full sun when it's hot out, in part shade they do great.....try petunias in full sun, they are pretty drought resistant as well.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

lookin' good skiadikt...things are starting to take off here, late late on some stuff like greenbeans, others like peas are just wrapping up, which is rather late...been way lazy taking pictures...guess I s/b doing a little better job w this thread...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

madhatter wrote:lookin' good skiadikt...things are starting to take off here, late late on some stuff like greenbeans, others like peas are just wrapping up, which is rather late...been way lazy taking pictures...guess I s/b doing a little better job w this thread...
yeah wrapped on the first planting of peas/snow peas. 2nd planting probably ready. mistake was planting the rows too close together. greenbeans flowering. too much zucchini. tomatoes are loaded but haven't turned color yet. enough cukes. broccoli looking good but daily battle pulling those damn green worms off. reluctant to spray. healthy brussels but no sprouts yet. invested in asparagus & strawberry futures. used 6 of 11 beds. some good lessons for next year. since i'm on the dl because of my knee, garden's kept me off the streets.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Nice pics all ....

Anyone know what first pic is? Second is banana plant with portulacas and this yellow flower in background. In the fall when we headed to K, MrG put the banana plant in cellar - I had taken out portulacas in Sept and replaced with small mums. When we returned after June 1st, noticed banana plant sprouting - well, this is what I got - portulacas and this yellow flower 8)

Third pic are my lupine Moose gave us :wink:
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (106.46 KiB) Viewed 529 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (156.67 KiB) Viewed 529 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (188.15 KiB) Viewed 529 times
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

Picked up some pinwheel petunias. Love'em...
DSC01223.jpg
DSC01223.jpg (232 KiB) Viewed 531 times
Oddly some petunias I've grown in the same container (they reseed) have some similar strips.
DSC01224.jpg
DSC01224.jpg (151.17 KiB) Viewed 531 times
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

Vine cucumbers...
DSC01226.jpg
DSC01226.jpg (260.46 KiB) Viewed 530 times
Bush cucumbers...
DSC01227.jpg
DSC01227.jpg (254.58 KiB) Viewed 530 times
Pumpkins are starting to grow after a slow start. Deer ate most of my tomatoes. Hopefully it was early enough they recover.
DSC01225.jpg
DSC01225.jpg (255.24 KiB) Viewed 530 times
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

MrsG, maybe a squash?
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

daytripper wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote:Been very busy painting the inside of my house so the garden has suffered a bit. I noticed that the weeds are taking over. I will have to go out there soon and remove them.

Impatient can't take full sun when it's hot out, in part shade they do great.....try petunias in full sun, they are pretty drought resistant as well.
I know all about impatients not doing well in the sun and these were planted in areas that they get partial sun (in the shade most of the day). Strange that others planted in other areas (also in partial sun) are doing fine.
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

freeski wrote:MrsG, maybe a squash?
That's what we thought, but how the heck does a squash get into a pot that had a banana leaf, portulacas and little mums . . . we do not have a veggie garden, nor do our neighbors - weird!!!! I'll let ya'all know if we get a squash :mrgreen: