Madhatter's 2017 Garden Thread

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Re: Madhatter's 2017 Garden Thread

Post by Stormchaser »

madhatter wrote:late season drought going on currently...irrigation required...on a side note warm spells like this is why I don't exactly follow the advice of those who want you to top, pinch or otherwise prevent plants from setting new fruit as early as they do( 2-3 weeks before first expected frost date, usually sep 15 for my area) some years I don't see frost or at least frost heavy enough to kill until november...lots of production during sep and oct some yrs...
Two years ago I harvested my brussel sprouts December 26th, after the first heavy freeze.
ImageImageImageImage
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Stormchaser wrote:
madhatter wrote:late season drought going on currently...irrigation required...on a side note warm spells like this is why I don't exactly follow the advice of those who want you to top, pinch or otherwise prevent plants from setting new fruit as early as they do( 2-3 weeks before first expected frost date, usually sep 15 for my area) some years I don't see frost or at least frost heavy enough to kill until november...lots of production during sep and oct some yrs...
Two years ago I harvested my brussel sprouts December 26th, after the first heavy freeze.
oh yeah...they can freeze and unfreeze many times...best if they do as I'm sure you know...I have a real nice crop of those this year...I did top those the other day...not sure if was really necessary but mrs hatter felt like it was...been harvesting the overly big ones on the bottom for a couple weeks now...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

Frost and freeze warnings out for most of NH. Time to put plants in the bunker. 1 a.m. till 8 a.m. in most spots.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

ANGUS wrote:Frost and freeze warnings out for most of NH. Time to put plants in the bunker. 1 a.m. till 8 a.m. in most spots.
went out this morning to see my beautiful basil crop essentially blackened/darkened from the frost/freeze past 2 nights. guessing it doesn't come back. had only made a few batches of pesto. was gonna kick into high production this week. another rookie mistake ...
spoiled South American skiin' whore
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

My largest pumpkin is 5' around. :shock: :cool Madhatter what are you doing Friday the 13th :?:
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

skiadikt wrote:
ANGUS wrote:Frost and freeze warnings out for most of NH. Time to put plants in the bunker. 1 a.m. till 8 a.m. in most spots.
went out this morning to see my beautiful basil crop essentially blackened/darkened from the frost/freeze past 2 nights. guessing it doesn't come back. had only made a few batches of pesto. was gonna kick into high production this week. another rookie mistake ...
Gotta cut and dry half of it by September 15th, even earlier....I start drying it out when it starts to bolt.....mix the dry basil with some dried oregano and whatever spices you like for a great Itallion seasoning to use untill u next summer
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

A lo of the light frosts, like this one likely was, is survivable by covering with towels or tarps.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

skiadikt wrote:
Basil does not come back- it's an annual. My crop was lousy this year. Don't know why. I've had parsley, sage and rosemary survive. Also I got a grape tomato plant that grew from a seed that had fallen last year.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Mister Moose wrote:A lo of the light frosts, like this one likely was, is survivable by covering with towels or tarps.
:like :like
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

How is this wall still standing?

Back in the spring I had a post in this thread about building a dry stone wall. I had read on the internet that a properly built wall can shift and move with the freeze/thaw cycle. I came across this wall the other day in New Durham, NH. At first I thought that it had moved because of the cycle and the drainage ditch under it. Looking closer, especially at the right side, it had to have been built this way. Whoever built it, knew what they were doing. It's about 100 yards long-about 3 feet high and wide!
Attachments
SAM_5717.JPG
SAM_5717.JPG (419.65 KiB) Viewed 388 times
SAM_5716.JPG
SAM_5716.JPG (419.25 KiB) Viewed 388 times
SAM_5715.JPG
SAM_5715.JPG (420.42 KiB) Viewed 388 times
SAM_5714.JPG
SAM_5714.JPG (417.78 KiB) Viewed 388 times
!!!!!!!!!! MAKE AMERICA LOVE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!
icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

Looks like a well developed weed in neighbors front yard. Any ideas what it is?

"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

icedtea wrote:Looks like a well developed weed in neighbors front yard. Any ideas what it is?
If it's a snapable wet stalk like celery and hollow I have a number of the same thing. Also the 5 foot tall ruddy spikes with little yellow flowers that bloom over different times so the spike always looks 1/4 flowers and 3/4 ugly.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Performed a fall chore today by pulling out the gladiolus bulbs. The cannas and dahlias are still blooming so I will wait until they say there will be frost to get them out of the ground for winter storage.
icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

Mister Moose wrote:
icedtea wrote:Looks like a well developed weed in neighbors front yard. Any ideas what it is?
If it's a snapable wet stalk like celery and hollow I have a number of the same thing. Also the 5 foot tall ruddy spikes with little yellow flowers that bloom over different times so the spike always looks 1/4 flowers and 3/4 ugly.
Someone suggested an empress tree.
"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

I'd smoke it.
I Belong A Long Way From Here.