World Cup Announcement

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Re: World Cup Announcement

Post by ME2VTSkier »

RENO wrote:A couple new trails would be nice and a lot more days with the lift running than previously when they just ran it weekends Jan-Mar...
Even just a couple days a week 9-3 would be nice. At least could plan on what weekdays to show up better if they had some kind of set plan like with the Canyon4. I'm sure it will be once the Condos/Duplexes get built. Probably the Bear4 too.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Skier's right of the return line there is room for a trail, it would have to bump right up next to the Vermont Land Trust holdings. I don't think they are big fans of Killington or for that matter any other ski resort. Getting permitting to cut that trail is probably non-trivial, and Killington may decide that isn't a battle worth fighting. Or perhaps they will go in with a plan to replace the lift and cut a trail, then compromise (if necessary) to just putting in the lift. Speculation on my part, obviously.

Regarding another comment, the homeowners at Bear may want the Bear Quad to run 7 days, but given the availability of the ladies tee on OL, it is unlikely the schedule will need to change. The developer may put pressure on Killington to get Bear open earlier in the season, especially during the selling phase. That'll be good while it lasts...
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

rogman wrote:Skier's right of the return line there is room for a trail, it would have to bump right up next to the Vermont Land Trust holdings. I don't think they are big fans of Killington or for that matter any other ski resort. Getting permitting to cut that trail is probably non-trivial, and Killington may decide that isn't a battle worth fighting. Or perhaps they will go in with a plan to replace the lift and cut a trail, then compromise (if necessary) to just putting in the lift. Speculation on my part, obviously.

Regarding another comment, the homeowners at Bear may want the Bear Quad to run 7 days, but given the availability of the ladies tee on OL, it is unlikely the schedule will need to change. The developer may put pressure on Killington to get Bear open earlier in the season, especially during the selling phase. That'll be good while it lasts...

ie - Bear won't be open for the World Cup...........Not suggesting it should be - It won't be.

The weather is just different at Bear - more sun, less clouds, warmer, less snow, etc
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

hillbangin wrote:
rogman wrote:Skier's right of the return line there is room for a trail, it would have to bump right up next to the Vermont Land Trust holdings. I don't think they are big fans of Killington or for that matter any other ski resort. Getting permitting to cut that trail is probably non-trivial, and Killington may decide that isn't a battle worth fighting. Or perhaps they will go in with a plan to replace the lift and cut a trail, then compromise (if necessary) to just putting in the lift. Speculation on my part, obviously.

ie - Bear won't be open for the World Cup...........Not suggesting it should be - It won't be.

The weather is just different at Bear - more sun, less clouds, warmer, less snow, etc
No sh*t: Lower elevation and it faces east. I doubt anyone would ever expect them to get Bear open by Thanksgiving, but getting OL open for Christmas week (which seldom happens) might be more of a priority.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

rogman wrote:
hillbangin wrote:

No sh*t: Lower elevation and it faces east. I doubt anyone would ever expect them to get Bear open by Thanksgiving, but getting OL open for Christmas week (which seldom happens) might be more of a priority.
No sh*t - you said Bear open earlier not OL -

If I were making snow I'd skip Wildfire and go right to OL to make sure its open for XMas ( good advertising ) - never understood why Wildfire is open before OL -
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

hillbangin wrote:
rogman wrote:
hillbangin wrote:

If I were making snow I'd skip Wildfire and go right to OL to make sure its open for XMas ( good advertising ) - never understood why Wildfire is open before OL -
cuz 99% of K's patrons cannot ski the fall line of OL...steeper it is the faster it gets scraped off by herbs and spores...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

madhatter wrote:
hillbangin wrote:
rogman wrote:
hillbangin wrote:

cuz 99% of K's patrons cannot ski the fall line of OL...steeper it is the faster it gets scraped off by herbs and spores...
Agreed - but the joeys and bettys ruin Wildfire too - so why not lay some base on OL......
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

Wildfire = less snow and connectivity from SPX
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA
Roundtop: 12/22,12/23, 1/8, 1/13, 1/14, 1/17 LR, 1/18 LR, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1//22 LR, 1/23 LR, 1/26, 1/29 LR, 2/2 LR, 2/3, 2/4, 2/7 LR, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/15, 2/16 LR, 2/17, 2/18, 2/19 LR, 2/21 LR, 3/8 LR, 3/9, 3/10

Ski Visits in VT
Okemo: 12/8, 2/29, 3/1, 3/2, 3/18
Stowe: 12/9
Killington: 12/10, 2/25, 2/26, 2/27, 3/16, 3/17

Ski Visits in NY
Hunter: 3/15

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

jimmywilson69 wrote:Wildfire = less snow and connectivity from SPX
also less exposure and can satisfy more joeys....
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

No joeys, bettys, herbs or spores may mean no early/late open/close . . . learn to work around them, they are peeps trying to have fun too!!!
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

boston_e wrote: Bring back Echo Woods!!!!
they are still there . .
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

MrsG wrote:No joeys, bettys, herbs or spores may mean no early/late open/close . . . learn to work around them, they are peeps trying to have fun too!!!
no one's complaining about them.. they are the bread and butter of every mountain...only makes sense that trails used by the most people will be opened earliest or under "snowmaking only" conditions...the snow also holds up longer on those trails...signature steeps require much more snow and a solid base in order to stand up to traffic...
mach es sehr schnell

ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

madhatter wrote:
MrsG wrote:No joeys, bettys, herbs or spores may mean no early/late open/close . . . learn to work around them, they are peeps trying to have fun too!!!
no one's complaining about them.. they are the bread and butter of every mountain...only makes sense that trails used by the most people will be opened earliest or under "snowmaking only" conditions...the snow also holds up longer on those trails...signature steeps require much more snow and a solid base in order to stand up to traffic...
Ski fast. Ski around them. Tourons are bread and butter for mountain profits. They also make for excellent human gate training. Just do it safely. Don't spook the paper ticket people away. They subsidize your pass.
Last edited by ANGUS on Apr 7th, '17, 05:13, edited 1 time in total.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Why does the newest release of the Drift say: . "We also announced that the Audi FIS Ski World Cup is likely to come back to Killington in November 2017"

So it's not a done deal?
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

SnoBrdr wrote:Why does the newest release of the Drift say: . "We also announced that the Audi FIS Ski World Cup is likely to come back to Killington in November 2017"

So it's not a done deal?
I believe there is a ceremonial approval then it's a done deal and they release the official schedule - it's 99.5%