Bear Mountain Renovation

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Mistergiff
Black Carver

Bear Mountain Renovation

Post by Mistergiff »

Apparently its $110 Million over 2 years.

http://www.vermontbiz.com/news/april/ki ... r-mountain" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ora-bearmtn.biz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The multi family buildings seem like a great idea. Especially if they are paying for a renovated Bear Lodge and the new South Ridge Lift. Those duplexes however are going to look hideous up on the mountainside. At least we all get to keep the parking lot as is. Thank goodness!

More important question thought, who gets the build for South Ridge? https://liftblog.com/2017/04/04/killing ... d-in-2018/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Plus how long till the Bear Quad has to go too?
GlacierBoy
Black Carver

Re: Bear Mountain Renovation

Post by GlacierBoy »

That Space Walk trail across the bottom mid of OUTER LIMITS will be a green traverse? That's gonna bisect OL and destroy the nice flow of the trail! Killington will destroy another good trail with another unsafe, crappy trail instersection.

THis is what we get when real estate people design a development vs. skiers designing a development preserving the flow and safety of a long uninterrupted Outer Limits run.

[Oueter Limits! Thanks, Bubba]
Last edited by GlacierBoy on Apr 4th, '17, 12:06, edited 1 time in total.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

The issue I see is for BMMC. It looks as if the development will take up valuable space currently used by groups for BBQ, etc.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

GlacierBoy wrote:That Space Walk trail across the bottom mid of Superstar will be a green traverse? That's gonna bisect Superstar and destroy the nice flow of the trail! Killington will destroy another good trail with another unsafe, crappy trail instersection.

THis is what we get when real estate people design a development vs. skiers designing a development preserving the flow and safety of a long uninterrupted SuperStar run.
You of course mean OL, right?
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
skixc2
Black Carver

Post by skixc2 »

GlacierBoy wrote:That Space Walk trail across the bottom mid of Superstar will be a green traverse? That's gonna bisect Superstar and destroy the nice flow of the trail! Killington will destroy another good trail with another unsafe, crappy trail instersection.

THis is what we get when real estate people design a development vs. skiers designing a development preserving the flow and safety of a long uninterrupted SuperStar run.
Dude, it's OL and the trail is already there: Space Walk. It' s a double black right now though - it can't be green because it starts on Wildfire.
Raise 'Em Jay
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Bubba wrote:

You of course mean OL, right?
it'll be an elevated ski-way, hence the name spacewalk....been in the plan for decades, now coming to fruition... it'll be the best viewing of BMMC...:D
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

Spacewalk is already there. When you come out of Center Piece you merge onto Spacewalk. It looks like the parking lot to the left of the Bear Lodge goes away.
Last edited by throbster on Apr 4th, '17, 12:06, edited 1 time in total.
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
GnarDawg
Green Skidder

Post by GnarDawg »

Bear Mountain Single Chair!
Mistergiff wrote:Apparently its $110 Million over 2 years.

http://www.vermontbiz.com/news/april/ki ... r-mountain" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ora-bearmtn.biz/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The multi family buildings seem like a great idea. Especially if they are paying for a renovated Bear Lodge and the new South Ridge Lift. Those duplexes however are going to look hideous up on the mountainside. At least we all get to keep the parking lot as is. Thank goodness!

More important question thought, who gets the build for South Ridge? https://liftblog.com/2017/04/04/killing ... d-in-2018/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Plus how long till the Bear Quad has to go too?
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

So it looks as if the upper existing parking lot will now house condos instead of cars. Since most of the close parking in the basin area also gets sacrificed for condos, aka, the village, I would think that Bear would become more popular since there was close parking. This is now being truncated also!
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
Killington_Lover
Slalom Racer

Post by Killington_Lover »

GlacierBoy wrote:That Space Walk trail across the bottom mid of OUTER LIMITS will be a green traverse? That's gonna bisect OL and destroy the nice flow of the trail! Killington will destroy another good trail with another unsafe, crappy trail instersection.

THis is what we get when real estate people design a development vs. skiers designing a development preserving the flow and safety of a long uninterrupted Outer Limits run.

[Oueter Limits! Thanks, Bubba]
I reset my password just to log in and say you whine far too much glacierboy. It seems you gripe more than HS. Spacewalk has been on the map since there was a north east passage and the old gondola running to the k peak. Feel free to gripe but atleast know your history... the flow of the trail? Give me a break... it might as well be flat there.. if a rich noob crossing to his $$$ condo does not yield to your up hill traffic feel free to spray him good :like pretty sure the skiers code protects that right :wink:
Ski It If You Can!..
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

Big Bob wrote:So it looks as if the upper existing parking lot will now house condos instead of cars. Since most of the close parking in the basin area also gets sacrificed for condos, aka, the village, I would think that Bear would become more popular since there was close parking. This is now being truncated also!
They'd better get started on the town-wide mono-rail system... :wink:
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Fiddle Chair would have made those condos sweet...
ImageImageImageImage
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Big Bob wrote:So it looks as if the upper existing parking lot will now house condos instead of cars. Since most of the close parking in the basin area also gets sacrificed for condos, aka, the village, I would think that Bear would become more popular since there was close parking. This is now being truncated also!
This Bear announcement does appear to be more formal and within the near term realm of possibility.
Bodes well for those over on that ridge that have historically dealt with shorter seasonal service from that side.
Looking at the Bear Lodge renovation rendering, that south side solarium is gonna be one wicked sauna chamber. :dislike

They'll figure out the parking sooner or later, or just redeploy all the new World Cup busses they'll be buying. :wink:
Aside from the recent State approval press piece, the long-awaited Village still has the markings of a long range project.

As to Bob's earlier question on mid-week SRQ operation, this development would hint at that now being more likely.

Happy to see them leveraging Spacewalk .. one of the most underutilized expert trails in New England :lol:
And the observant Stormy already weighing-in with reclamation of the Motor Room Terminus. :like

Their disjointed marketing announcement strategy around pass pricing and this development is puzzling and ignorant.
Huge Buzz could have been achieved Regionally had someone there had the foresight to facilitate a GAME CHANGER.
They choose to plod along. :sad:

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Lower Centerpiece trees are a perfect spot for slope side housing. Only better spot in my book would be the Bay ! Condos. If you loved hanging and BBQ’s slope side at Bear here is you chance to grab your permanent spot.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
Devils Fiddle
Black Carver

Post by Devils Fiddle »

:dislike

The Bear Base can be renamed BEARS ASS with the addition of these eye sore condos.

The lodge gets new windows turning the bar into a greenhouse!!!

We the Killington pass holders lose a nice parking overflow area. I realize its only used on the busiest of weekends. I will miss it.

My guess is the uphill units get built last after the lower ones sell out? Could be years down the road before they build the upper section if that is the case.

Another season with no new on hill infrastructure improvements but hey will be skiing till May maybe into June. :zzz
Last edited by Devils Fiddle on Apr 4th, '17, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.