Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Re: Bear Mountain Renovation

Post by hillbangin »

Big Bob wrote:
liv4ski wrote:
Bubba wrote:
liv4ski wrote:K's proposed Base Camp at Bear may be competing against SP Land Company, LLC's Village for prospective property buyers. http://www.livekillington.com/#intro" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is the second home market at K big enough for both projects to go forward? It will be interesting to see which project starts first. The Village real estate may be more desirable as the slopeside season is longer and it will be much closer to the bars, restaurants and retail stores that will be developed as part of the Village.

Does the Base Camp have all of is permits? I believe it was reported recently that Phase I of the Village has received all of its permits.
Don't know that the Bear project has even filed for approval yet. Still, while the "Village" has received Act 250 approval, SP Land has to find developers before coming back to the Planning Commission for final approval. Meanwhile, the minute the Bear project gets its approvals, it can move ahead. I'd bet it gets started well before the "Village".
I'm talking only about the duplex buildings, not the lift and trail improvements. "Phase 2 of the Bear Mountain Revitalization features construction of 18 duplex buildings near the foot of the Devil’s Fiddle ski trail with an estimated cost of $25 million, and is expected to begin during summer 2020."

You think construction on the Village condos/townhomes will start after 2020? If SP Land can't find a developer by 2020 because of a weak market, it's hard to believe K (or Powder) will go forward with the duplex buildings at Bear.
I believe that K/Powdr is not the developer of this project, but the individual who did Sunrise.
Ottauquechee Realty Advisors, LLC led by Steve Malone

The principals of Ottauquechee Realty Advisors, Steve Malone and Richard Saunders, have an extensive background in ski resort development in New England, including the Topridge project built in the early to mid-2000s, and the lodges at Killington, built around 2009. Both projects were in Killington.
Malone said the Bear Mountain project was being planned for a number of years, but American Skiing Company was unable to enter a contract because of other commitments. When Killington and Pico were sold to SP Land Company in 2007, the project was revived.
Malone said he also funded the RiverWalk Resort at Loon Mountain in Lincoln, New Hampshire.
“What we’re trying to do is improve the overall skiing experience by these mountain improvements,” he said.
One example Malone used was a bar at the base lodge that will look out at the ski trails.
Solimano said the project’s permits are not in place, but because the principals from Ottauquechee have developed other projects, including those in Killington, he said Killington Resort officials were confident they will be successful in aquiring the permits needed for the work to go forward.
The project is not expected to interfere with skiing seasons. Solimano said the next ski season will go on as normal, and construction of the first phase of the project is expected to start in spring 2018.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Looks good. Although, Kzone will argue endlessly about the details. Space Walk has always been there as access to the DF lift, at least now it will be groomed/maintained. And while I think Mr. Moose's cross traffic estimates are utter nonsense, I'll agree that as a ski home location it is not kid friendly. Can't say I've ever skied from the left half of Space Walk to the right half, but I have walked it (Word of advice: Don't!!). It certainly isn't a green circle route, and coming off of Wildfire, it is pointless to try and describe it as one. Might be some additional traffic, but not much. Realistically, there may need to be an accommodation for walking from Bear Lodge to the units.

Looks like there is a significant loss of parking at Bear: it would appear the main lot might be narrower (but perhaps not), and the area to the lookers left of the Bear lodge is gone; at least it is now drawn as grass. I suspect the owners are going to have to gate the entrance to their overflow parking in order to prevent day trippers from taking advantage of it.

The subtle win for Killington on this is septic. Bear still uses a spray field along Bear Mtn Road (where that random compressor is). I assume Bear's septic will now be tied into whatever is built for these new homes. That's one more compressor they'll have for snow making, and one less gross mess in the middle of the woods.
Coydog
Guru Poster

Post by Coydog »

hillbangin wrote: Ottauquechee Realty Advisors, LLC led by Steve Malone

The principals of Ottauquechee Realty Advisors, Steve Malone and Richard Saunders, have an extensive background in ski resort development in New England, including the Topridge project built in the early to mid-2000s, and the lodges at Killington, built around 2009. Both projects were in Killington.
Malone said the Bear Mountain project was being planned for a number of years, but American Skiing Company was unable to enter a contract because of other commitments. When Killington and Pico were sold to SP Land Company in 2007, the project was revived.
Malone said he also funded the RiverWalk Resort at Loon Mountain in Lincoln, New Hampshire.
“What we’re trying to do is improve the overall skiing experience by these mountain improvements,” he said.
One example Malone used was a bar at the base lodge that will look out at the ski trails.
Solimano said the project’s permits are not in place, but because the principals from Ottauquechee have developed other projects, including those in Killington, he said Killington Resort officials were confident they will be successful in aquiring the permits needed for the work to go forward.
The project is not expected to interfere with skiing seasons. Solimano said the next ski season will go on as normal, and construction of the first phase of the project is expected to start in spring 2018.
Malone is an excellent money guy with extensive knowledge of Killington. Very good chance of this turning out well.
skifaster
Poster Child Poster

Post by skifaster »

Bitch, Bitch, Bitch, What a bunch of whiners.
Nothing is perfect, But with Mike S at helm I have faith he has K's customers at heart.
Newsflash, you pay to play at K, If you want a say and a share, buy in to Magic and Mad River.
Bravo K, I am looking forward to the lift, build out, and improvements.
"Audaces Fortuna Luvat” Fortune Favors the Bold...
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

skifaster wrote:Bitch, Bitch, Bitch, What a bunch of whiners.
Nothing is perfect, But with Mike S at helm I have faith he has K's customers at heart.
Newsflash, you pay to play at K, If you want a say and a share, buy in to Magic and Mad River.
Bravo K, I am looking forward to the lift, build out, and improvements.
yup whats good for the madhatter, ain't always good for K and what's good for K ain't always good for the madhatter...
Last year was the first time I bought a full K pass in 10 years...I'm happy w what K is doing overall...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
PinnacleJim
Slalom Racer

Post by PinnacleJim »

Coydog wrote:
hillbangin wrote: Ottauquechee Realty Advisors, LLC led by Steve Malone

Malone is an excellent money guy with extensive knowledge of Killington. Very good chance of this turning out well.
This project reminded me of the developments of Topridge and the Lodges at Bear, so not surprised its the same developer. In general, the concept makes sense to me. Considering how long it took SP Land to get the permits through on the Village, I remain skeptical that this one can get approved in 1 year.
killyfan
Blue Chatterbox

Post by killyfan »

Bubba wrote:
brownman wrote:Special P .. tunnels and bridges coming out of Bear .. please advise :?
Snowshed Crossover, as it crosses the Stash then Skye Burst.
In case anyone still doesn't understand the bridge/tunnel plan:
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-04-07 at 5.02.32 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-04-07 at 5.02.32 AM.jpg (710.48 KiB) Viewed 1324 times
In a world where you can be anything, why not choose to be kind...
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (115.35 KiB) Viewed 1246 times
Thank you Jean Claude.
Although, that's a trail map with some added colors.
A plan usually involves a lot more detail.
Let us know if they build anything like above. :like
A new lift matters to many .. the rest, not so much.

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

That's the Wheelerville Tunnel - you should not have posted that - it's classified info - Top Secret
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Sorry, butt since many don't traverse there, thought it would be useful to post that shot.
The permitting and electrical work was tough, butt 'idle' workers are plentiful at Coopers.

Forever .. Goat Path
DES
Slalom Racer

Post by DES »

Well I'm not going in any tunnel that was built by the same crowd I meet at Coopers!
killyfan
Blue Chatterbox

Post by killyfan »

brownman wrote:
Thank you Jean Claude.

Yes, I do know the difference between "architectural plans" and "ideas." (My sister owns an architectural firm...) My apologies for my misuse of the word "plan." But I do think that there was a LOT more in that presentation that was incredibly interesting and matters to many of us other than the lift at Bear. That, I could take or leave. I've skied here with and without it, and it's fine either way as far as I'm concerned. For me it's more about the lodge revamping and how its energy consumption will compare to the old lodge. It would be REALLY nice to see an NZEB building there when this is finished. I can only hope that the condos/townhomes/whatever else they will put up will be constructed with energy conservation in mind.
In a world where you can be anything, why not choose to be kind...
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

killyfan wrote:
brownman wrote:
Thank you Jean Claude.

Yes, I do know the difference between "architectural plans" and "ideas." (My sister owns an architectural firm...) My apologies for my misuse of the word "plan." But I do think that there was a LOT more in that presentation that was incredibly interesting and matters to many of us other than the lift at Bear. That, I could take or leave. I've skied here with and without it, and it's fine either way as far as I'm concerned. For me it's more about the lodge revamping and how its energy consumption will compare to the old lodge. It would be REALLY nice to see an NZEB building there when this is finished. I can only hope that the condos/townhomes/whatever else they will put up will be constructed with energy conservation in mind.
If they replace the doors that are rusted out at the bottom that would help with the energy efficiency! And fix the tripping hazard deck board buckles!!
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Killy .. Bubba, SpecialP and others answered my question.
Thank you for your understanding.

ps.. Bear Lodge ZNE .. bumper stickers :like
Forever .. Goat Path
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

killyfan wrote:
brownman wrote:
Thank you Jean Claude.

Does the State of VT have an energy code like NH does?
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22