A New South Ridge Lift and the Rebirth of a great ski resort

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

A New South Ridge Lift and the Rebirth of a great ski resort

Post by Southside_Bobby »

With Killington's announcement of a new South Ridge lift, to be built next summer, I suppose my work here is done.

I guess I could change my handle to "Roberto Interconnecto" ...
Attachments
South Ridge 1.jpg
South Ridge 1.jpg (101.28 KiB) Viewed 1846 times
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Re: A New South Ridge Lift and the Rebirth of a great ski re

Post by ANGUS »

Southside_Bobby wrote:With Killington's announcement of a new South Ridge lift, to be built next summer, I suppose my work here is done.

It's a dirty job. Somebody has to do it. I'm looking forward to the new lift. However K has a long way to go. Let us not forget the abbreviated sky ship. ( Somebody forgot stage 3. Only one lift to the peak?) How about Rams head. They cut it short on that new lift back in the day. Interconnect is only a way to move cats to and from Pico. Perhaps with the increased pressure from surrounding resorts we will see new infrastructure. The big boys from the west will be putting money into their new purchases. Powder should get the message. It's not Mike. It's Powder corp. that sucks. I'll keep spending at K. For the foreseeable future. They still have the best game in town. When the day comes that K1 requires a parking permit I'll reconsider my options.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

ANGUS wrote:
Southside_Bobby wrote:With Killington's announcement of a new South Ridge lift, to be built next summer, I suppose my work here is done.

It's a dirty job. Somebody has to do it. I'm looking forward to the new lift. However K has a long way to go. Let us not forget the abbreviated sky ship. ( Somebody forgot stage 3. Only one lift to the peak?) How about Rams head. They cut it short on that new lift back in the day. Interconnect is only a way to move cats to and from Pico. Perhaps with the increased pressure from surrounding resorts we will see new infrastructure. The big boys from the west will be putting money into their new purchases. Powder should get the message. It's not Mike. It's Powder corp. that sucks. I'll keep spending at K. For the foreseeable future. They still have the best game in town. When the day comes that K1 requires a parking permit I'll reconsider my options.
POWDR is never going to do anything at Killington beyond the bare minimum.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
yiddle on da fiddle
Powderhound

Post by yiddle on da fiddle »

Highway Star wrote:
ANGUS wrote:

POWDR is never going to do anything at Killington beyond the bare minimum.
Correct-a-mundo. Its the goose that keeps layin the golden eggs.....
da Pimp
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by da Pimp »

I hope that Killington takes full advantage of this improvement by cutting at least one new trail that follows the longest fall line as possible while still allowing a slight traverse back to the chair at the bottom. And clears some glades in there. Since there is not a lot of vertical to be had, they should capitalize with growth of that area.

I sure hope that the SR improvement is not going to be "it" for a while. Snowdon lift ops is embarrassing compared to the competition. But I sure am thankful for an improvement no matter where it happens. Getting more people spread out on to that chair and the terrain will cut back some of those other peak time lift lines.

Not sure where the snowmaking capacity stands for SR, but I remember that SR had some pipe repairs some years back. It would be great to see a pipe go down a new trail over there. Since it is a slightly higher elevation than a lot of other acreage, all you need is a decent base and mother nature will do the rest.
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

Well everything to the skiers left of the old South Ridge chair is already a trail or glade and there is not much room to put anything in there. To the right there is not much of an option for a trial given the topography. Those Roundabout glades are actually pretty good.
da Pimp
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by da Pimp »

Seems like you can run a natural trail straight down the fall line starting near Blue Heaven and ending up as low as you can go before you lose the traverse pitch back to the chair bottom. Then run a new snowmaking trail halfway between that new natural trail and the liftline. This would start to the skier's right of the liftline along the south ridge. Glades could be thinned out on either side of this trail. Sure, not as long as desired but it would be new trails and new places to put people, and it would offer a different experience, since it would be higher up the hill but still facing the sun. Trees would offer wind protection. Gotta give blue square skiers something to talk about just as much as experts.

Or don't use any of the new trails, just cross over to the Canyon and let others enjoy them. Its good to have options.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

da Pimp wrote:Seems like you can run a natural trail straight down the fall line starting near Blue Heaven and ending up as low as you can go before you lose the traverse pitch back to the chair bottom. Then run a new snowmaking trail halfway between that new natural trail and the liftline. This would start to the skier's right of the liftline along the south ridge. Glades could be thinned out on either side of this trail. Sure, not as long as desired but it would be new trails and new places to put people, and it would offer a different experience, since it would be higher up the hill but still facing the sun. Trees would offer wind protection. Gotta give blue square skiers something to talk about just as much as experts.

Or don't use any of the new trails, just cross over to the Canyon and let others enjoy them. Its good to have options.
IIRC there are land use issues in that area. I can't recall if it's ownership or conservation related... There is a plan out there somewhere; I've seen it here before.
ImageImageImageImage
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

Parkers gore land exchange?

http://www.newenglandskihistory.com/ski ... rsgore.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Isn't Parker's Gore bear habitat? I thought they traded that away for the interconnect land.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

daytripper wrote:Isn't Parker's Gore bear habitat? I thought they traded that away for the interconnect land.

By the late 1990s, after over a decade of legal challenges, the new ownership (American Ski Company) was acquiring Pico and determined connecting the two areas to be a more important project. As such, 3,000 American Ski Company owned acres in Parker's Gore were exchanged with the State of Vermont for 1,073 acres closer to Killington Peak, reportedly to help spur the developing of a Killington Village.
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

Great resource here . . . 1904 survey of Parkers Gore

https://www.sec.state.vt.us/media/460099/A204149.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

vlt.JPG
vlt.JPG (88.34 KiB) Viewed 1126 times
The yellow represents where Vermont Land Trust owns. I'm not sure this rendering is surveyer quality, however. Pretty safe bet that hell will freeze over before they allow Killington to cut a trail on their land. I believe Juggernaut, et al, are grandfathered in.

Their interactive map is here: http://www.vlt.org/land-weve-conserved/ ... d-land-map
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

I see room between VLT and Jug, and between Pipe Dream and Roundabout.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Just a lift and many will be happy. :like

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path