Easter Sunday 4/16/17 report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Easter Sunday 4/16/17 report

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Another beautiful day at the start but dark clouds did appear and disappear during the afternoon. Bay1 grilling was going on too with some zoners attending. I got out a bit late due to church services and family time. Started at Bear were things were nice and soft. There is melting going on on lower Skyburst and lower Wildfire. OL had nice soft moguls but deeper than yesterday so I only skied it once because I didn't want to push it with my injury. OL still has great coverage. Old Needles still had good cover. The other runs at Needles were ok but parts of Cruise are starting to go. Lower Vertigo still has great moguls. There is a lot of water running down Stitchline. Old Bitter is still skiable. Nice moguls on Middle Ovation still - lower is closed. Skyhawk to Skylark was a nice run. Gaps are also showing up at the bottom of lower Downdraft and on Double Dipper. Downdraft skied nice up to that point. Escapade is developing a large wet area but most of it is still good. North Ridge is still skiable and the other trails there have good coverage. Highline was enjoyable too for a last run.

I took a bunch of pictures today but can only attach a few to this post. The others will be in a subsequent response.
OL_041617.JPG
OL_041617.JPG (132.12 KiB) Viewed 1025 times
lower Wildfire gaps 041617.JPG
lower Wildfire gaps 041617.JPG (181.69 KiB) Viewed 1025 times
Skyburst 041617.JPG
Skyburst 041617.JPG (100.01 KiB) Viewed 1025 times
Lower Vertigo 041617.JPG
Lower Vertigo 041617.JPG (102.89 KiB) Viewed 1025 times
Stichline 041617.JPG
Stichline 041617.JPG (164.66 KiB) Viewed 1025 times
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Re: Easter Sunday 4/16/17 report

Post by tyrolean_skier »

If any of you can get here this week, you may be able to still enjoy some of the remaining trails. Here are the other pictures:
Northstar 041617.jpg
Northstar 041617.jpg (127.14 KiB) Viewed 1010 times
Bottom of Northstar 041617.jpg
Bottom of Northstar 041617.jpg (109.03 KiB) Viewed 1010 times
bottom of Downdraft 041617.JPG
bottom of Downdraft 041617.JPG (117.52 KiB) Viewed 1010 times
Gaps on Double  Dipper.JPG
Gaps on Double Dipper.JPG (112.54 KiB) Viewed 1010 times
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Warm beautiful Easter Sunday afternoon weather greeted us. Soft pushed up melting snow surface was dreamy creamy fun. Ran down to Bear to ski the trails that will be roped off tomorrow. Rode the Bear Chair saying goodbye as it will be the last time year that I ride the lift. Lost half our group but we reassembled for last chair up Superstar. Nice to see Radio Ron in the house enjoying the sweet bumps on Superstar were some of the best of the year bump lines could be found.

Spring Corn Grade A-

Quote of the Day – Go straight over the bare spots and turn in the snow after.
Attachments
Bear Mtn.JPG
Bear Mtn.JPG (110.99 KiB) Viewed 980 times
Last Chair Crew.JPG
Last Chair Crew.JPG (107.32 KiB) Viewed 980 times
Close Feet.JPG
Close Feet.JPG (94.05 KiB) Viewed 980 times
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
liv4ski
Bumper

Post by liv4ski »

Definitely the best bump lines of the season for me yesterday. OL, Skyhawk, Dipper, Downdraft, SS and Ovation were prime. Thanks to the Mooses for the tastiest every Easter lamb and to the Hatters for the spicy sausage apres. That plus the many different beers that were handed to me at lunch, the warm temps and the soft snow made the last hour one of the best ski hours of the season.

madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

liv4ski wrote:Definitely the best bump lines of the season for me yesterday. OL, Skyhawk, Dipper, Downdraft, SS and Ovation were prime. Thanks to the Mooses for the tastiest every Easter lamb and to the Hatters for the spicy sausage apres. That plus the many different beers that were handed to me at lunch, the warm temps and the soft snow made the last hour one of the best ski hours of the season.

both were quite excellent...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Bumper

Post by 180 »

Snowpack taking a major hit. Very concerned about May.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

180 wrote:Snowpack taking a major hit. Very concerned about May.
10 day don't look to be too helpful in that regard either...

https://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/fi ... TOCK2&MR=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:sad: :sad: :sad:
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
liv4ski
Bumper

Post by liv4ski »

Last spring was mild and dry until the end of May. This spring is the complete opposite so far. Looks like K is doing everything it can. Nothing we can do other than ski it as much as possible before it melts.

Monday, April 17, 2017
10:42 am 04/17/17--We lucked out all weekend, skiers and riders, with sunny weather during the day and showers that held off until evening both Saturday and Sunday. It looks like we'll dodge the showers again today, giving us another mostly sunny opportunity to ski or ride The Beast.

In order to preserve as much of our precious snowpack as possible, we avoided disturbing warm, wet snow overnight, keeping our grooming plan to a minimum. The majority of the 22 groomed trails on offer today will be on intermediate terrain, with the exception of black diamond lower East Fall. Expect to find wonderful soft moguls on Expert level favorites like Superstar and Cascade.
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Love it when peeps 'steal my thunder' - but, hey, they are what they are :P

Awesome Easter Day skiing - thanks K for what you do .... this morning was a challenge for you, but you conquered Morher Nature when the sun came out and softened things up :wink: