fiddleheads...

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

madhatter
Signature Poster

fiddleheads...

Post by madhatter »

the time is now...

the bright green ones w the papery brown skin are fiddleheads the others are NOT...

happy foraging...

ramps...

perfect size for harvesting, washed under the hose then rinsed clean indoors...

you cannot just pull these up, you need a small trowel to dig them...

every bit except the thin scraggly roots are edible....

* pics are from last year, things are just starting to happen here...downstate it s/b in full swing now...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
MrsG
Whipping Post

Re: fiddleheads...

Post by MrsG »

Looking forward to fiddleheads and asparagus right out of the ground/from the fields . . . one of the first things we enjoy when we head home midweek when K closes for long-weekends only 8)
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

just went on a foraging excursion...there were enough ramps up to harvest a bunch for dinner tonite...fiddleheads are just peaking out, gonna be a few more days before they are harvestable...then just like that they'll be gone til next year...they make make an appearance at bay one this weekend...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

these pics are from today april 17, 2017*

early patch of ramps...

fiddleheads just beginning to show...

fiddleheads and ramps are often found in the same general vicinity...

* all pictures were taken at hatter's hollow, a province of madhatterville, USA...
mach es sehr schnell

killyfan
Blue Chatterbox

Post by killyfan »

Thanks for posting this Madhatter! I have the day off today - will make my first Fiddlehead and Ramp foray... I usually just pick the fiddles in the yard, and they aren't anywhere close to coming up yet, so I'll go lower down. I pickle them for martini garnishes - seriously good. And freeze a TON of both for quiche / side dishes etc.
Attachments
Fiddlehead quiche.jpg
Fiddlehead quiche.jpg (97.15 KiB) Viewed 255 times
Fiddlehead Martini.jpg
Fiddlehead Martini.jpg (84.63 KiB) Viewed 255 times
In a world where you can be anything, why not choose to be kind...
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

killyfan wrote:Thanks for posting this Madhatter! I have the day off today - will make my first Fiddlehead and Ramp foray... I usually just pick the fiddles in the yard, and they aren't anywhere close to coming up yet, so I'll go lower down. I pickle them for martini garnishes - seriously good. And freeze a TON of both for quiche / side dishes etc.
:like :like
mach es sehr schnell