Is this our future?? ......Endless ski seasons?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Sgt Eddy Brewers
Slalom Racer

Is this our future?? ......Endless ski seasons?

Post by Sgt Eddy Brewers »

How will the ski industry survive climate change?? Squaw considering staying open all year!!

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2017/04/s ... ext-season" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I understand that this is "weather not climate???" but...not exactly the horror show that has been predicted.
Ski the edges!
brownman
Postinator

Re: Is this our future?? ......Endless ski seasons?

Post by brownman »

Though glaciers continue to recede out west, one can ski year round at many locations on this continent.
Squaw may just want to capitalize on an epic year of snowfall.
As you know, Just a couple years ago, they could barely open.

Don't hold your breath for a roof over Superstar.
They've got too much on their plate already. :wink:

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
killyfan
Blue Chatterbox

Post by killyfan »

brownman wrote:Though glaciers continue to recede out west, one can ski year round at many locations on this continent.

Exactly! Thanks for saying it so I didn't have to...
In a world where you can be anything, why not choose to be kind...
BoozeTan
Guru Poster

Post by BoozeTan »

Sgt Eddy Brewers
Slalom Racer

Post by Sgt Eddy Brewers »

killyfan wrote:
brownman wrote:Though glaciers continue to recede out west, one can ski year round at many locations on this continent.

Brownman is smart and sane and realizes, of course, that my post was a tongue in cheek response to the delightful news from Squaw...which is actually pretty amazing...first time this has been suggested for a "normal" ski area!!

Epic...as he said.

And in , at least modest, contrast to the endless voices of doom which scream in stereo that we are soon at the end of normal ski seasons...

Sell your skis while there is still a market...they will be worthless soon...winter will be a thing of the past.... and sell your oceanfront villas before the ocean eats them!!

I'm buying if you're selling cheap.
Ski the edges!
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

it will be the norm once the next ice Age starts.

Didn't you guys see the Day after tomorrow?
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA
Roundtop: 12/22,12/23, 1/8, 1/13, 1/14, 1/17 LR, 1/18 LR, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1//22 LR, 1/23 LR, 1/26, 1/29 LR, 2/2 LR, 2/3, 2/4, 2/7 LR, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/15, 2/16 LR, 2/17, 2/18, 2/19 LR, 2/21 LR, 3/8 LR, 3/9, 3/10

Ski Visits in VT
Okemo: 12/8, 2/29, 3/1, 3/2, 3/18
Stowe: 12/9
Killington: 12/10, 2/25, 2/26, 2/27, 3/16, 3/17

Ski Visits in NY
Hunter: 3/15

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

I understand that this is "weather not climate???" but...not exactly the horror show that has been predicted
Actually it is only weather when it is abnormally cold. When it is a really hot day that means there is an urgent global crisis requiring us to radically change our lifestyles, unilaterally destroy our economy and send our money to 3rd world dictators who will use it to buy heavy weapons and luxury goods while the people telling us about the crisis live in 5 homes and fly around on private jets.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Jimbo .. the day after tomorrow is not guaranteed.
Better to concentrate on the day after yesterday. :wink:

Forever .. Goat Path
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

GSKI wrote:
I understand that this is "weather not climate???" but...not exactly the horror show that has been predicted
Actually it is only weather when it is abnormally cold. When it is a really hot day that means there is an urgent global crisis requiring us to radically change our lifestyles, unilaterally destroy our economy and send our money to 3rd world dictators who will use it to buy heavy weapons and luxury goods while the people telling us about the crisis live in 5 homes and fly around on private jets.
:like :like
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
killyfan
Blue Chatterbox

Post by killyfan »

Sgt Eddy Brewers wrote:
killyfan wrote:

Brownman is smart and sane and realizes, of course, that my post was a tongue in cheek response to the delightful news from Squaw...which is actually pretty amazing...first time this has been suggested for a "normal" ski area!!

Epic...as he said.

And in , at least modest, contrast to the endless voices of doom which scream in stereo that we are soon at the end of normal ski seasons...

Sell your skis while there is still a market...they will be worthless soon...winter will be a thing of the past.... and sell your oceanfront villas before the ocean eats them!!

I'm buying if you're selling cheap.
Agreed! And SEB - I would still like to have a beer with you if you would agree to show up. Last time you said yes, then dissolved before the meeting took place... It would have been nice for you to be there - we had a decent time.

You too Yiddle if you're watching this thread. Maybe if we actually met, then you would realize that I'm smart and sane also? It is very easy to make assumptions about people when you haven't met them. (Or at least, that's what I think.) Brownman - you're invited too.

ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

All this is merely idle talk.
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
killyfan
Blue Chatterbox

Post by killyfan »

ski wrote:All this is merely idle talk.
:mrgreen: Yeah.... not really. I just want to meet a couple more of the people who think I'm an a-hole. The few that I have met already became supporters once we met in person. I think that it's really difficult to get a true/accurate sense of someone's personality/intelligence level/temperment/etc over the internet. Face-to-face has a lot more value to it.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

killyfan wrote:
:mrgreen: Yeah.... not really. I just want to meet a couple more of the people who think I'm an a-hole. The few that I have met already became supporters once we met in person. I think that it's really difficult to get a true/accurate sense of someone's personality/intelligence level/temperment/etc over the internet. Face-to-face has a lot more value to it.
supporters might be a bridge too far there killyfan...definitely didn't think you were an a-hole before or afterwards though...to each his own... you are quite passionate about your ideals and while they aren't exactly my ideals, the end results you seek are commendable...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Sugarloaf had snow today.

http://sugarloaf.com/the-mountain/daily-report" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
killyfan
Blue Chatterbox

Post by killyfan »

madhatter wrote:
killyfan wrote:
supporters might be a bridge too far there killyfan...definitely didn't think you were an a-hole before or afterwards though...to each his own... you are quite passionate about your ideals and while they aren't exactly my ideals, the end results you seek are commendable...
MadH I think you are a great guy - would hang w/you any time. I wasn't referring to you though when I used the word supporter. I know our ideals are somewhat different - one beers worth of conversation made that clear. And that is totally cool with me.

I have friends from all walks of life. From diehard conservative Republicans to liberal hippies. I like to keep an open mind when carefully choosing my friends... Otherwise I may miss out on something good. I don't have a ton of friends - but the ones I have mean a LOT to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk