Monday 4/17/17 report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Monday 4/17/17 report

Post by tyrolean_skier »

I can't believe nobody made a report for today. It started out colder and grayer than yesterday so things not groomed were chattery. I started at Snowdon were most of the runs were groomed. Mouse Trap was chattery when I skied it. Because I was only skiing the morning I decided to ski off the Superstar quad to get as many runs in as possible. Bittersweet skied OK - I enjoyed Old Bitter. Skylark was good top to bottom. Superstar was starting to soften up at that time - probably much better later in the day. Skyhawk was pretty soft by 11. Middle Ovation's moguls were very skiable but Nivis is getting thin and the exit to Superstar had a big gap. Maybe they could farm some snow from the closed lower Ovation to make the exit more skier friendly. Skied everything twice. Needles and Bear were closed. Canyon Quad and the North Ridge triple were not running. Highline must have been nice because a lot of people were skiing it. Didn't have time to ski the Canyon so cannot report on conditions there.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Re: Monday 4/17/17 report

Post by skiadikt »

short afternoon session. stayed on skye peak. headed over to needles where there was no lift and most everything was closed. the trail getting there was a mess and panic has bare spots. skied well though. small widely spaced gs bumps on lower skye lark. bumps on supe have developed nicely. middle o beautiful but as ty pointed out there's dirt walking involved at the exit and perhaps some snow farming could make that more user friendly.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Cajun5150
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Cajun5150 »

For a Cajun the skiing was great played in the park on Mouse Run some.

Its thin and soupy on Great Northern but last night should have tightened that up some.

Made about 15 laps the legs were a touch tired LOL

Over all my girls had a blast!!! Cant believe we skiing this late in the year Daddy!!

Might be and annual ritual now!!
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

skiadikt wrote:short afternoon session. stayed on skye peak. headed over to needles where there was no lift and most everything was closed. the trail getting there was a mess and panic has bare spots. skied well though. small widely spaced gs bumps on lower skye lark. bumps on supe have developed nicely. middle o beautiful but as ty pointed out there's dirt walking involved at the exit and perhaps some snow farming could make that more user friendly.
and just like that poof, gone...
look for fresh corduroy on Cascade, Superstar and Lower East Fall.
:sad:
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

The Legend
The Legend
2017-04-17 20.21.42.jpg (445.65 KiB) Viewed 569 times
One last post from Summit County.

Jumped into a thaw freeze cycle at A Basin and wasnt expecting much. Was able to pull off a couple runs on Exhibition that normally is good early hard left. Couple unintresting runs in Okemo bowl [Montezuma] and couple decent runs short side East Wall.

Surprised after lunch when the Pali side came through for us. 6 runs all across the Pali territory and all were good. Mid winter at top to softer spring bumps lower.

Brownman; it doesnt seem to have lost any pitch since last year!

Heading out 4 our last day today at AB and cyall this Sat back at the K.

Looking forward to Max Creek!
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Looks loverly up on old Pali way. :like
Give our regards to the 'Beach Lifeguard'.

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
Fusion Zoner
Green Skidder

Post by Fusion Zoner »

tyrolean_skier wrote:I can't believe nobody made a report for today. It started out colder and grayer than yesterday so things not groomed were chattery. I started at Snowdon were most of the runs were groomed. Mouse Trap was chattery when I skied it. Because I was only skiing the morning I decided to ski off the Superstar quad to get as many runs in as possible. Bittersweet skied OK - I enjoyed Old Bitter. Skylark was good top to bottom. Superstar was starting to soften up at that time - probably much better later in the day. Skyhawk was pretty soft by 11. Middle Ovation's moguls were very skiable but Nivis is getting thin and the exit to Superstar had a big gap. Maybe they could farm some snow from the closed lower Ovation to make the exit more skier friendly. Skied everything twice. Needles and Bear were closed. Canyon Quad and the North Ridge triple were not running. Highline must have been nice because a lot of people were skiing it. Didn't have time to ski the Canyon so cannot report on conditions there.
My whole family (wife + 2 daughters) had been out for the previous 4 days covering most everything but the Canyon (younger daughter just turned 5 and is not quite up to Downdraft yet!) so just my older daughter and I went out there for the morning on Monday as we were leaving in the afternoon. Early on, Cascade was pretty crunchy, either the temps actually did hit 32 overnight or the wind was strong enough to cause some crusting. As the sun started to come out, things softened up a bit and the sun felt good because we had dressed light. In the Canyon, ROTD was undoubtedly East Fall since the snow cover is so superior to all the other trails there (although the moguls were pretty much flattened). However, on our way out, we decided to head down Great Northern and drop into Highline to finish (we were parked in the lot next to the K1 car storage) and by that time (11:45-ish) the sun had put Highline into really nice shape, and the moguls were nice sized. So not as much snow as East Fall but more technical fun so I call it a tie for ROTD. On a side note, my daughter loves the home of the wizard, so on one of our runs we ducked the rope at Helter Skelter (a bit sketchy) and took a detour into the Light. There was a fair amount of pine needles and twigs but still surprisingly skiable/rideable. Unfortunately for my daughter, the wizard was out. :cry: Anyway, aside from the early crunchiness, all was good where we traveled, I give a B+ for the day.
Attachments
Plenty of cover!
Plenty of cover!
IMG_4531.JPG (169.27 KiB) Viewed 472 times
Daughter just before the exit run
Daughter just before the exit run
IMG_4539.JPG (185.23 KiB) Viewed 472 times
Before the exit run - wide shot
Before the exit run - wide shot
IMG_4544.JPG (165.61 KiB) Viewed 472 times
liv4ski
Bumper

Post by liv4ski »

I skied the Light over the weekend and saw a guy with kids opening the door to the bird house. What's the story with the wizard?
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Your gonna make some people here mad posting pics of unmarked woods, even though the light gets more tracked up than some marked woods.
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

he didn't post directions on how to get there... Even a once every other year guy like me knows where the light is...
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA
Roundtop: 12/22,12/23, 1/8, 1/13, 1/14, 1/17 LR, 1/18 LR, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1//22 LR, 1/23 LR, 1/26, 1/29 LR, 2/2 LR, 2/3, 2/4, 2/7 LR, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/15, 2/16 LR, 2/17, 2/18, 2/19 LR, 2/21 LR, 3/8 LR, 3/9, 3/10

Ski Visits in VT
Okemo: 12/8, 2/29, 3/1, 3/2, 3/18
Stowe: 12/9
Killington: 12/10, 2/25, 2/26, 2/27, 3/16, 3/17

Ski Visits in NY
Hunter: 3/15

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

jimmywilson69 wrote:he didn't post directions on how to get there... Even a once every other year guy like me knows where the light is...
It didn't bother me, but there are some people here that won't like it.
liv4ski
Bumper

Post by liv4ski »

In the strangest of places if you look at it right
skifaster
Poster Child Poster

Post by skifaster »

daytripper wrote:Your gonna make some people here mad posting pics of unmarked woods, even though the light gets more tracked up than some marked woods.

Nahh, all good, The light is easier to find than some marked glades.
"Audaces Fortuna Luvat” Fortune Favors the Bold...
Fusion Zoner
Green Skidder

Post by Fusion Zoner »

liv4ski wrote:I skied the Light over the weekend and saw a guy with kids opening the door to the bird house. What's the story with the wizard?
That "bird house" is actually a little house that some nice person (K-zoner?) built for the wizard, a little stuffed one, that used to be found there without any protection from the elements. My daughter always wants to see him, and earlier this season we found him in his new little house so she always wants to check in every trip up to K.

I know Daytripper was saying that I would make some people upset discussing Light so hopefully these pics are not a big deal. The wizard pics don't give anything away since you'd still have to already know where to go in order to find him. And if you look at the number of tracks around the tree, he gets a lot of visitors.
Attachments
The wizard
The wizard
IMG_4239.JPG (170.26 KiB) Viewed 349 times
Daughter & the wizard
Daughter & the wizard
IMG_4240.JPG (181.35 KiB) Viewed 349 times
Fusion Zoner
Green Skidder

Post by Fusion Zoner »

daytripper wrote:Your gonna make some people here mad posting pics of unmarked woods, even though the light gets more tracked up than some marked woods.
Definitely not trying to upset anybody. And c'mon, if someone who does not know where the light is could find it from those pictures, then they deserve an award!

BTW, has anybody ever asked Ski Patrol why they maintain a rope at one of the entrances (sometimes up, sometimes dropped), even though it's actually not a mapped trail?