No Bear this weekend

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skixc2
Black Carver

No Bear this weekend

Post by skixc2 »

"We had hoped to reopen Bear Mountain this weekend to give spring mogul fans one last crack at Outer Limits, but the unseasonably warm and wet weather we've endured this past week has put a fork in that plan. With no snow on connecting trails between Bear and K-1 Base Areas, and no snow left at the unload area of the Bear Mountain Quad, Bear Mountain is now closed for the season."

:sad:
Raise 'Em Jay
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Re: No Bear this weekend

Post by daytripper »

The lifts are closed but the mountain and some snow are still there, just need to park a car by the gate to the lot.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Always wondered why they opt to shutter the entire base area at Bear, rather than continue to run Snowshed shuttle every 1/2 hour. Proper warning signs indicating "No lift service" would deter most. Patrol rescues would be rare there.

OL bumps this Sunday sure would be sensational :sad: .. So it goes (Vonnegut)

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

brownman wrote:Always wondered why they opt to shutter the entire base area at Bear, rather than continue to run Snowshed shuttle every 1/2 hour. Proper warning signs indicating "No lift service" would deter most. Patrol rescues would be rare there.

OL bumps this Sunday sure would be sensational :sad: .. So it goes (Vonnegut)

:Toast
yeah it's a complete mystery :?c :roll:
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
liv4ski
Bumper

Post by liv4ski »

Could be a good weekend for Uber drivers. Hope they have racks. Uber snowmobile would allow many more OL laps.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

I understand closing the base area, but why do they have to lock the lot? Sure sucks walking to the car. Maybe when they build these new condos on centerpiece the lot will stay open so late season OL runs require less walking.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

daytripper wrote:I understand closing the base area, but why do they have to lock the lot? Sure sucks walking to the car. Maybe when they build these new condos on centerpiece the lot will stay open so late season OL runs require less walking.
didn't a couple jack@sses try to break in there a while back?
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

How bad are the breaks in the snow between K1 and Bear? Creative snow movement and "walking required" signs couldn't suffice?

Forget about the bear quad, they just have to run the SPE.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

spanky wrote:How bad are the breaks in the snow between K1 and Bear? Creative snow movement and "walking required" signs couldn't suffice?

Forget about the bear quad, they just have to run the SPE.
skyeburst was toast on sunday, wildfire not far behind...OL the only viable option...K was a ghost town last sunday...granted it was easter....the end is nigh...
mach es sehr schnell

RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

UBER

Back from OL
Where is Happy Hour ?
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

madhatter wrote:
daytripper wrote:I understand closing the base area, but why do they have to lock the lot? Sure sucks walking to the car. Maybe when they build these new condos on centerpiece the lot will stay open so late season OL runs require less walking.
Yes, but they have always kept the bear lot locked if bear isn't open so that didn't have anything to do with it.
skixc2
Black Carver

Post by skixc2 »

I know I am but a single person, but I would have come to K this weekend if Bear was open, now I'll take my business to Jay Peak on Saturday and Tuckerman Ravine on Sunday. (Sunday was happening either way if the weather/avalanche forecast holds)
Raise 'Em Jay
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

skixc2 wrote:I know I am but a single person, but I would have come to K this weekend if Bear was open, now I'll take my business to Jay Peak on Saturday and Tuckerman Ravine on Sunday. (Sunday was happening either way if the weather/avalanche forecast holds)
How do they open bear without snow? I have my gripes with some things Killington does, but what do you want them to do? Jay got about double the amount of natural snowfall this year as K.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

daytripper wrote:
madhatter wrote:
Yes, but they have always kept the bear lot locked if bear isn't open so that didn't have anything to do with it.
I figured it was always locked to prevent that easy access...there may have been times in the long distant past where people drove up falls brook and camped in spring too...
mach es sehr schnell

ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

skixc2 wrote:I know I am but a single person, but I would have come to K this weekend if Bear was open, now I'll take my business to Jay Peak on Saturday and Tuckerman Ravine on Sunday. (Sunday was happening either way if the weather/avalanche forecast holds)

Check the conditions at Tuckerman. After last week you'll be hiking in and out. Its was melting faster than Bodie on a bad trip.