Rutland Just Got Hammered

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skilab
Blue Chatterbox

Rutland Just Got Hammered

Post by skilab »

Trees down everywhere, roofs off, wires flopping in the streets, fences blown over, power out, transformers blowing, super crazy. Cant believe there is no damage in Killington. Must have been wind sheer or something.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Re: Rutland Just Got Hammered

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Went through Rutland on my way to Killington and there were no lights except for around the hospital area. Mendon also had lights out. I was glad that Killington had lights although all my clocks had to be reset so we must have lost power at some point.
Fusion Zoner
Green Skidder

Post by Fusion Zoner »

tyrolean_skier wrote:Went through Rutland on my way to Killington and there were no lights except for around the hospital area. Mendon also had lights out. I was glad that Killington had lights although all my clocks had to be reset so we must have lost power at some point.
Went through Rutland on my way to Killington and there were no lights except for around the hospital area. Mendon also had lights out. I was glad that Killington had lights although all my clocks had to be reset so we must have lost power at some point.[/quote]
We went through Rutland almost an hour later and still mostly dark but no r*in at all. There was a bit of lights-on in the south end but then complete darkness. There was a fire truck idling up by Tops , the only lights we saw. Coming across Route 4 from New York, we were getting hit by some serious wind so there must have been some concentrated system in the area. All good along the K Road though, but it was still r*ining lightly.
Snowboardgod
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Snowboardgod »

Lost power for a few minutes down here near skyeship but nothing major. Up on access road around 6pm there was no power anywhere up and down the road and down to the deli, welcome center etc. not sure how long it was out for.
ozzy
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by ozzy »

Storm rolled through around 4:45p Friday and tore stuff up. Somehow or another crews got power restored around 3pm today. I thought that we would be without power until Monday/Tuesday the way things looked. Snapped poles, transformers lying in the street, lines down everwhere, but somehow power was quickly restored.
GIS, tell your folks they did a fine job :-)
I may even make an appearance on SS tomorrow :barebutt:
skiskee8 wrote:Skiing in powder sucks. It's so much more work, and you can't go as fast.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

ozzy wrote:Storm rolled through around 4:45p Friday and tore stuff up. Somehow or another crews got power restored around 3pm today. I thought that we would be without power until Monday/Tuesday the way things looked. Snapped poles, transformers lying in the street, lines down everwhere, but somehow power was quickly restored.
GIS, tell your folks they did a fine job :-)
I may even make an appearance on SS tomorrow :barebutt:
It's amazing how those downslope winds can accelerate as they head toward Rutland. That's the second time in a few years that the city took the brunt.

As for GIS, he's VELCO, not GMP, but I'm sure they had issues on the transmission system as well as GMP had them on distribution.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

We got home late this afternoon from 5 days away and found three trees down in the backyard. Very happy to say they missed the shed, although we'll have to have them removed in order to get into it.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Bubba wrote:We got home late this afternoon from 5 days away and found three trees down in the backyard. Very happy to say they missed the shed, although we'll have to have them removed in order to get into it.
Glad you defied the odds with 3 downed trees not hitting anything. If a Killington tree falls into Mendon, who pays to have it cleaned up?

(you do!)
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

Mister Moose wrote:
Bubba wrote:We got home late this afternoon from 5 days away and found three trees down in the backyard. Very happy to say they missed the shed, although we'll have to have them removed in order to get into it.
Glad you defied the odds with 3 downed trees not hitting anything. If a Killington tree falls into Mendon, who pays to have it cleaned up?

If it's a healthy tree then ownership is determined by where it lands. :shock:
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

freeski wrote:
Mister Moose wrote:

If it's a healthy tree then ownership is determined by where it lands. :shock:
Oh, we clearly own them, healthy or not. Our property spans the Killington/Mendon line and the fallen trees cross from Killington into Mendon.
Attachments
IMG_1059.JPG
(3.92 MiB) Downloaded 10 times

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

Smart to have a pro come in. There could be a violent shift when the trees are cut. Looks like a lot of potential energy.
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
LINYbob
Bumper

Post by LINYbob »

I had a big maple come down in my back yard a few months ago - it looked like your situation. In the back, no
damage to any buildings. (But it did hit the electrical wires and took out the power to the whole neighborhood - except for my house!!)
The electric company cut it off the power lines and left it in my yard and my neighbor's yard.

Just for kicks, I called my insurance company and to my surprise, they told me my policy covered it to have it cut
up and removed!

You might want to at least try...
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Our neighbor has had a number of trees taken down and recommended Trees Inc. in Rutland. Anyone have other recommendations? As for insurance, I thought of that as well but not sure it'll be worth it with the deductible.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

On Friday, on the drive up I was cutting through Rutland the back way and had to turn around before Stratton Rd. Due to trees down everywhere. Very eery driving through Rutland with all the lights out.
"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

icedtea wrote:On Friday, on the drive up I was cutting through Rutland the back way and had to turn around before Stratton Rd. Due to trees down everywhere. Very eery driving through Rutland with all the lights out.
freakish storm. gmp did a great job restoring power. with all the carnage, surprised my power was down only 24 hrs.
spoiled South American skiin' whore