Sunday 5/7/17 report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

throbster
Postaholic

Re: Sunday 5/7/17 report

Post by throbster »

My point about the toddler is that a trail like Superstar in May is very unsafe for a 30lb person. Every wannabe bump skier in the east is tearing down the hill, the moguls are huge, and there are ice patches everywhere. The odds of getting mowed down by a twin tip-no poles 15 year old (or any out of control skier) goes way up. Same with Reason in November.

We know mom and dad that you are "rad", but please do you job as a parent and keep your child out of harm's way.

Sheesh.
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

throbster wrote:My point about the toddler is that a trail like Superstar in May is very unsafe for a 30lb person. Every wannabe bump skier in the east is tearing down the hill, the moguls are huge, and there are ice patches everywhere. The odds of getting mowed down by a twin tip-no poles 15 year old (or any out of control skier) goes way up. Same with Reason in November.

We know mom and dad that you are "rad", but please do you job as a parent and keep your child out of harm's way.

Sheesh.
Great Eastern on a normal busy weekend has a much higher danger factor than Superstar in the Spring. Have yet this spring to see ski patrol removing anyone off Superstar injured. I feel safe skiing Superstar with the very skilled Killington crowd. Letting kids be kids is good parenting IMHO.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

Do you have kids?
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

throbster wrote:Do you have kids?
Yes, Two kids that I taught to ski starting at age three. They learned how to safely manage the mountain. My son loved to mimic my helping skiers in trouble. People have entrusted their children with me to teach them to ski for years. Also taught my 13 year old Granddaughter and skied with her weekly with the Killington Elementary School Program. Tons and tons of kid ski time here.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
DES
Slalom Racer

Post by DES »

I'm with GIS, Great Eastern on a holiday (or walking thru the base lodge as a 3 year old when it's crowded) has got to be more dangerous than her skiing or being carried this past Sunday...I had skied up to them the 1st time I saw the dad carrying her to see if I could help with anything, and she was just chatting away...didn't surprise me to see them make multiple runs. From what I could tell at that moment was she wanted to be with her dad, and the dad wanted to be with her...seems like a good thing to me.
icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

throbster wrote:My point about the toddler is that a trail like Superstar in May is very unsafe for a 30lb person. Every wannabe bump skier in the east is tearing down the hill, the moguls are huge, and there are ice patches everywhere. The odds of getting mowed down by a twin tip-no poles 15 year old (or any out of control skier) goes way up. Same with Reason in November.

Sheesh.
What about wannabe bump riders?
"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

small kids are NOT expert skiers by any stretch ( same could be said for many adults as well) add in the erratic nature of kids and their inability to be aware of their surroundings and the safety not only of themselves but of other skiers and riders as well and I find them to be a liability I'd prefer to not have to deal with...no matter how much of a boneheaded move a kid makes or how completely at fault they are, if you hit and injure one yer gonna be screwed...

a kid could jump out in front of a bus on 91 and most parents would still find fault w the bus driver...

so ideally beginners should ski in the slow only beginner areas and leave experts only runs to cough cough "experts"...

never happen but ideally that's how I see it...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

can't comment on sunday but on one of the final days of lower ovation, at a choke point skiers left which was maybe 2 ft wide swath of ice, dirt & rock for about 20 feet, a dad was trying to cajole his 4-5 yr old kid through. kid was frozen terrified. took all my self control not to say something about the dad's intelligence or lack thereof.
spoiled South American skiin' whore