Hardest Trail in the East

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Skier77
Beginner On Rentals

Hardest Trail in the East

Post by Skier77 »

I was trying to come up with a list of the hardest trails in the east. I came up with a few that are off map but very well known. There are a few spots here at K ton I would put on this list but off map. Any other input would be great. Here's the list not ranked.
- Dj's tramline Cannon
- Paradise MRG
- Black hole Smuggs
- Profanity chute Stowe
- Goat stowe
- The ridge Jay
- Rumble Sugarbush
- The church Sugarbush
boston_e
Postaholic

Re: Hardest Trail in the East

Post by boston_e »

Are you assuming reasonable conditions in your analysis? Otherwise the hardest trail is whatever happens to be steeper and icy.
Don't Killington Pico
Skier77
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Skier77 »

boston_e wrote:Are you assuming reasonable conditions in your analysis? Otherwise the hardest trail is whatever happens to be steeper and icy.

Yes, I'm assuming reasonable conditions.
iRock
Bumper

Post by iRock »

Ovation at 3pm in the flat light on a cloudy day. Frozen over as usual, of course.
trees, steeps, and yan lifts
that's why I ski DA BEAST
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

How about a reasonable question? East is way too broad. Comparing Green Mountain range narrows the field. Tough to compare trails to glades to off map as each one is different. Simple answer a vague question - The Face Chutes on Jay are in a class by themselves. Stowe has the most kick ass side country runs. Beyond Paradise at MRG is my favorite gnarly glade. Ovation is the steep that makes my heart race.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
jskivt
Beginner On Rentals

Post by jskivt »

Sigh....for beginners start with hike to only terrain only at Stowe, just watch out for the mandatory cliff jumps....

What's the hardest terrain in the East, christ depends where you want to hike. hello McFly?
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

For maintained trails some of the Snowfield trails at Sugarloaf are tough. White Nitro, Upper Gondi Line are steep and often wind scoured. At Killington, I won't attempt Devil's Fiddle unless it's full and soft. I've skied Cannon my whole life and never touched DJ's Tramline (like Kinsman Glade, skier's right of Tramline and steeper), rocks scare me.
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

ovation is probably a pretty good challenge today...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
DES
Slalom Racer

Post by DES »

All things being equal, I feel the most difficult marked trail to ski top-to-bottom and make it look easy is Goat, but close behind is Rumble. And that's if they both have good conditions...I'd flip them as 1 & 2 if you're talking about skiing them when there may have been a closed sign/rope. (with great conditions, Rumble gets "easier", but with lots of snow, Goat gets "harder" as the double fall-line gets more pronounced)
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

DES wrote:All things being equal, I feel the most difficult marked trail to ski top-to-bottom and make it look easy is Goat, but close behind is Rumble. And that's if they both have good conditions...I'd flip them as 1 & 2 if you're talking about skiing them when there may have been a closed sign/rope. (with great conditions, Rumble gets "easier", but with lots of snow, Goat gets "harder" as the double fall-line gets more pronounced)
madhatter's favorite trail---no one goes on goat twice by accident...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
DES
Slalom Racer

Post by DES »

Rumble's my favorite "marked trail", but it could just be because I get to yell "LET'S GET READY TO RUUUUUUUMBLE" before I go down it (ya, I'm annoying to ski with)
skifaster
Poster Child Poster

Post by skifaster »

Make the list hardest on map trails. Everyone has their stash at select mtns. And it should be general, not dependent on conditions, as an iced over steep slope is death defying to an intermediate, and or a bony rock strewn trail.
Overall hardest mapped trails in east:
"Audaces Fortuna Luvat” Fortune Favors the Bold...
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

Snowshed headwall. Nothing scarier no matter what condition it's in! :shock:
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

RENO wrote:Snowshed headwall. Nothing scarier no matter what condition it's in! :shock:
yodeler headwall w the hairpin turn is far more treacherous, death defying even...
mach es sehr schnell

Skier77
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Skier77 »

Doing just marked trails then here is my edited list.
-rumble
-goat
-djs tramline
-face chutes
-paradise
black hole
Last edited by Skier77 on May 9th, '17, 11:36, edited 1 time in total.