NSR- ticks and tick removal

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

madhatter
Signature Poster

NSR- ticks and tick removal

Post by madhatter »

lots of ticks around this spring even up here in VT where we normally see very few if any ( in my neck of the woods anyway)

this removal method seems legit in it's explanation and from the video itself but I haven't had the opportunity to try it out ( fortunately)

http://hangoutlife.com/you-have-to-lear ... o-camping/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

remember it's VERY important to not leave the head and mouth parts embedded in the skin...

if anyone tries this either on themselves or a pet let me know if it actually works...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Tabe
Blue Chatterbox

Re: NSR- ticks and tick removal

Post by Tabe »

I had one the other day,rubbed a q tip on a wet bar of soap and then did this,let go after 20 seconds.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Tabe wrote:I had one the other day,rubbed a q tip on a wet bar of soap and then did this,let go after 20 seconds.
^^^word to the wise^^^
:like :like
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

Thanks for sharing this. You may save someone from lyme disease. I've had two on me in the last week. My dog had 2 in one walk tonight. I have deer and other critters that live in the yard. I'm sure they don't help. (I refuse to harvest deer that live in my yard. Until shtf and I need them.) Ticks and diseases are a scary way of life . They have a vaccine for dogs. I wish my vet would let me try it. It's like Russian roulette every time I go outside.
TreeRunner
Beginner On Rentals

Post by TreeRunner »

Lots of ticks in CT this time of year for sure. I've learned to drop a little bit of vodka or rubbing alcohol on the tick, let it sit for 20 seconds then they usually let go or at least make it easier to use a tick twister tool or tweezers. I've also heard peppermint oil works very well but I haven't tried it yet.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

thanks. will try this next time. usually use alcohol before tweezering. had one crawling on me the other day (mendon). usually had to remove a couple per season at my ny house. tuck pants into socks in garden boots and wear long sleeves. quite a sight ... this tick business ruins the whole notion of going outdoors.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Powassan is the worst tick borne dieses.

http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsod ... ise-in-u-s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.wxyz.com/news/national/powas ... his-summer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

ANGUS wrote:Thanks for sharing this. You may save someone from lyme disease. I've had two on me in the last week. My dog had 2 in one walk tonight. I have deer and other critters that live in the yard. I'm sure they don't help. (I refuse to harvest deer that live in my yard. Until shtf and I need them.) Ticks and diseases are a scary way of life . They have a vaccine for dogs. I wish my vet would let me try it. It's like Russian roulette every time I go outside.
Since a human lives longer than a dog they have not used this vaccine on humans. It may eventually kill the human from what I have heard. I live in the hotspot for Lyme in southern NH, more than 12 cases have been reported in my town per year with a relatively small population.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

I had lymes disease over 10 years ago. It's very bad in NJ. The antibiotics used to treat it make you feel worse than the lymes.
"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

I live on Long island which has more ticks than anywhere in the country. I have never had one on me, guess I'm just lucky. I use Frontline on the dog and have never seen one on her either.
skifaster
Poster Child Poster

Post by skifaster »

Vile insect... I despise them.
I have had many. I have heard of the Peppermint oil, may try that in the unlucky event one uses me as a host...
Thanks for posting the above vid. I had one last year that its head broke off in my leg... I ended up cutting it out as tweezers wouldn't work. I can live with a scar, rather than deal with Lyme or worse...
Prevention and awareness fellow peeps, good luck. It does put a damper on the outdoors, doesn't stop from mtn biking, but puts a shadow on it for sure as I frantically inspect after every ride.
PS, my daughter had a deer tick on her neck at two yrs old from the back yard. They travel on rodents, mice, chipmunks etc not just deer.
"Audaces Fortuna Luvat” Fortune Favors the Bold...
nsvencer1
Beginner On Rentals

Post by nsvencer1 »

Careful using other liquids (oils, vasoline, alchohol, etc). Theories go that while they make the ticks come out, the ticks typically eject liquids upon exiting under stress and increase chance of passing some nasties at that time. I've always gone with the tried and true grab the tick as far down/close to the skin as possible, then squeeze gently and pull with an easy steady force. After a few seconds they give in and let go.
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

I've got places I hike I won't go to when ticks are out. Even though I use Frontline I still get them on doggy. I just gently pull them out with fingernail in front of the head. Then into a plastic bag and squish. Gave doggy lime vaccine last year. It took two shots.
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

NEVER EVER PULL-NEVER EVER PULL

Get yourself tweezers specifically designed for tics-photo attached. You push the orange button on top and the tweezers open. Grab the pest as close to the skin as possible and let go of the button. The tweezers will grab the pest. Then you TURN, NEVER PULL-NEVER PULL. The damn pest should come right out, head and all from turning, not pulling.
Attachments
SAM_6815.JPG
SAM_6815.JPG (416.58 KiB) Viewed 748 times
!!!!!!!!!! MAKE AMERICA LOVE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

There are a lot of gadgets on the market. Waste of $ unless you have a hang up about touching a bug. Main thing is to get the whole tick and to get it off ASAP. When they're on for more than 10 hours that's when you run into trouble.
I Belong A Long Way From Here.