No Hat... Drat... and skier visits theories

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Kapow
Blue Chatterbox

No Hat... Drat... and skier visits theories

Post by Kapow »

Cleared the 100 day hurdle today (mogul city blanketed with snowball snow). Nick from Rutland then let me know K was out of hats.
They ordered 200 which seemed like a safe cushion after last year’s 156. I got put on the stragglers list along with two other late achievers (so far).

On the drive home the data points got me thinking. A 30 percent increase in 100 day skiers corresponds to a roughly threefold increase in snowfall from last year. This leads to a series of questions.

Is this a typical correlation between the increase in snowfall totals from a bad year to a good year (three fold) and 100 day skiers (up 30 percent).

Is this correlation a fair proxy for the general relationship between snowfall totals and skier visits?

Is this correlation weaker among 100 day skiers than among the general population (because 100 day skiers have a comparatively inelastic demand for ski days) or stronger (because 100 day skiers are drawn more powerfully by news or rumors of fresh snow)?

What is the long term trend of correlation between snowfall deviations from the mean and skier visits?
boston_e
Postaholic

Re: No Hat... Drat... and skier visits theories

Post by boston_e »

I would think the correlation of snowfall totals is a lot weaker to 100 day skiers as compared to the general overall skier visits.

I think the increase in the 100 day club is more of a result of it becoming more publicized and more people setting a goal to reach 100 days.

Now on a bigger snow year I suppose there could be more days the mountain is open making it "easier" to get to 100 days.... bit I think the masses coming to the mountain on the heels of a big snow event would outweigh that difference.
Don't Killington Pico
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Kapow wrote:Cleared the 100 day hurdle today (mogul city blanketed with snowball snow). Nick from Rutland then let me know K was out of hats.
They ordered 200 which seemed like a safe cushion after last year’s 156. I got put on the stragglers list along with two other late achievers (so far).

On the drive home the data points got me thinking. A 30 percent increase in 100 day skiers corresponds to a roughly threefold increase in snowfall from last year. This leads to a series of questions.

Is this a typical correlation between the increase in snowfall totals from a bad year to a good year (three fold) and 100 day skiers (up 30 percent).

Is this correlation a fair proxy for the general relationship between snowfall totals and skier visits?

Is this correlation weaker among 100 day skiers than among the general population (because 100 day skiers have a comparatively inelastic demand for ski days) or stronger (because 100 day skiers are drawn more powerfully by news or rumors of fresh snow)?

What is the long term trend of correlation between snowfall deviations from the mean and skier visits?
Congratulations on joining the 100 day club. Sorry to hear they have no more hats to give out. If you want a picture with the banner please introduce yourself to GIS who is the current holder of the banner.
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Congrats Kapow . . . several years ago, they ran out of hats when MrG reached his 100 days . . . not to worry, they had more made - not sure that is the plan this season, but cannot imagine they would not!!
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

For the month of May we plan to operate Fridays 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. and Saturdays and Sundays 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. until the snow melts. And if it doesn't? June.

Operating day: 193
No contenders for perfect attendance this year? Closing in on 200 days.
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

ME2VTSkier wrote:No contenders for perfect attendance this year? Closing in on 200 days.
If you read the Mountain Times Brady Crain who writes the Altitude Sickness column has been scanned every day this year. He has been delaying back surgery while he chases this goal.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
Bumper

Post by 180 »

His woes of pain and sickness are reason alone to read the Times
ozzy
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by ozzy »

156 people in the 15/16 100 day club? The poster has 121 names

Don't know about the correlation to last year and this year or other normal snow years. I know that I had more days in 15/16 then in the normal snow year of 14/15. However, this yr I have more than the previous two seasons. I think it's more about having the time than the actual conditions.

I didn't break 100 K days in 14/15 until they went to weekend only operations and they were out of inventory once I went to claim mine. They sent me a hat in August once they got their backorder in over the summer.
skiskee8 wrote:Skiing in powder sucks. It's so much more work, and you can't go as fast.