PSA - Route 100/103 Bridge work detour . . . update!

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

MrsG
Whipping Post

PSA - Route 100/103 Bridge work detour . . . update!

Post by MrsG »

For those traveling south from Killington to Rt. 91, I'm sure you're aware of the bridge work on Rt. 100 at Rt. 103 which is closing the bridge on Rt. 100 for the next 10 days. We ended up taking the long way through Tyson to Rt. 106 home today - pretty, but long . . . confirmed with locals that if you continue south on Rt. 100 past Tyson, turn right just before Clear Lake Furniture (just giving you an idea of how far down Rt. 100) on to Rod and Gun Club Road to Buttermilk Falls Road back to Rt. 103 - sorry, do not have distances, but this is the "local" detour. Of course, going north on Rt. 103, pass Rt. 100 to Buttermilk Falls Road, turn right to Gun Club Road to Rt. 100. The VtTrans website mentions this is very windy and sharp turns, so no large trucks allowed.

Please feel free to make any corrections or additions if you are already aware of this detour. Thanks.
Last edited by MrsG on May 18th, '17, 15:09, edited 1 time in total.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Re: PSA - Route 100/103 Bridge work detour . . .

Post by SnoBrdr »

MrsG wrote:For those traveling south from Killington to Rt. 91, I'm sure you're aware of the bridge work on Rt. 100 at Rt. 103 which is closing the bridge on Rt. 100 for the next 10 days. We ended up taking the long way through Tyson to Rt. 106 home today - pretty, but long . . . confirmed with locals that if you continue south on Rt. 100 past Tyson, turn right just before Clear Lake Furniture (just giving you an idea of how far down Rt. 100) on to Rod and Gun Club Road to Buttermilk Falls Road back to Rt. 103 - sorry, do not have distances, but this is the "local" detour. Of course, going north on Rt. 103, pass Rt. 100 to Buttermilk Falls Road, turn right to Gun Club Road to Rt. 100. The VtTrans website mentions this is very windy and sharp turns, so no large trucks allowed.

Please feel free to make any corrections or additions if you are already aware of this detour. Thanks.
If you are travelling North is this not an issue ?
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

Thanks MrsG for the intel. I haven't been up since last Monday. They were still letting traffic on it. It was down to one lane with a flagger. I think its only a short bridge closure. 10-14 days? My bridge from Walpole NH to Westminster VT is down to one lane with lights at the moment. Must be construction season.
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

SnoBrdr wrote:
MrsG wrote:For those traveling south from Killington to Rt. 91, I'm sure you're aware of the bridge work on Rt. 100 at Rt. 103 which is closing the bridge on Rt. 100 for the next 10 days. We ended up taking the long way through Tyson to Rt. 106 home today - pretty, but long . . . confirmed with locals that if you continue south on Rt. 100 past Tyson, turn right just before Clear Lake Furniture (just giving you an idea of how far down Rt. 100) on to Rod and Gun Club Road to Buttermilk Falls Road back to Rt. 103 - sorry, do not have distances, but this is the "local" detour. Of course, going north on Rt. 103, pass Rt. 100 to Buttermilk Falls Road, turn right to Gun Club Road to Rt. 100. The VtTrans website mentions this is very windy and sharp turns, so no large trucks allowed.

If you are travelling North is this not an issue ?
"Of course, going north on Rt. 103, pass Rt. 100 to Buttermilk Falls Road, turn right to Gun Club Road to Rt. 100. The VtTrans website mentions this is very windy and sharp turns, so no large trucks allowed."

According to VtTrans website, closed for 10 days beginning today, May 15th :wink:
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

If you can figure out how to get there, South Bound cross the lakes on redbridge road and then hit the road to take you back to Ludlow. Drops you near the sewer plant. Not as bad as vs. local dirt road by buttermilk falls.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

For those coming from 91 through Ludlow you would go past the 100n from 103 and take the next right on Buttermilk Falls Rd. then the next rt on Rod and Gun Club Road which takes you back to 100n make a left.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ludlo ... 72.7006518" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Dr. NO wrote:If you can figure out how to get there, South Bound cross the lakes on redbridge road and then hit the road to take you back to Ludlow. Drops you near the sewer plant. Not as bad as vs. local dirt road by buttermilk falls.
Thanks Doc, where do you turn going north - before or after the sewer plant ... and what else is near the power plant for those that may be traveling in the dark?
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

MrsG wrote:
Dr. NO wrote:If you can figure out how to get there, South Bound cross the lakes on redbridge road and then hit the road to take you back to Ludlow. Drops you near the sewer plant. Not as bad as vs. local dirt road by buttermilk falls.
Thanks Doc, where do you turn going north - before or after the sewer plant ... and what else is near the power plant for those that may be traveling in the dark?
It has been awhile since I took that route but think it is across the street from the sewer plant. I have to head South this afternoon so will check it out. Traveling South, the road up the mountain is red bridge road. Turn Right at the top and it takes you back to that turn on 103.

Shut up and Ski!

da Pimp
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by da Pimp »

Going south on Rt 100: Turn left at the Salt Ash Inn - Kingdom Road, continue and turn right on Twenty Mile Stream Road. This will parallel Rt 100 south and bring you out to Rt 131 in Proctorsville. From there, turn right to rejoin Rt 103 which takes you to I-91. This bypasses Ludlow. Heading north: While still on Rt 103 turn right on to Rt 131 at the Castle Inn, then left on Twenty mile Stream Road to Kingdom Road. Turn left to Rt. 100, right to Killington.

Both ends of this detour have small shortcuts that are marginally helpful. 20 Mile is a dirt road for half its length, so after heavy r*ins or during mud season it should be avoided. Normally it is well maintained and you can carry a decent pace.

Sometimes I use this route just to avoid Ludlow at peak times, especially Sunday afternoons when Rt 100 backs up heavily getting into Ludlow. Watch for snowmobile crossings on 20 Mile.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

da Pimp wrote:Going south on Rt 100: Turn left at the Salt Ash Inn - Kingdom Road, continue and turn right on Twenty Mile Stream Road. This will parallel Rt 100 south and bring you out to Rt 131 in Proctorsville.
This is like 30 miles on back roads. Why would this be preferable to either of the other 2 shorter routes given the lower level of May/June traffic?

Google maps already has the eastward at Echo Lake - N Hill Cross Rd detour recommended. Buttermilk Falls route looks the shortest and none of us drive big trucks to go skiing.
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Thought this thread was about my prostate PSA numbers.

I'm still about .5% which I am told is a good PSA number.

https://www.cancer.gov/types/prostate/psa-fact-sheet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Carry on then....
Where is Happy Hour ?
da Pimp
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by da Pimp »

I mentioned the 20 Mile Stream route simply because it runs parallel to the intended southerly route, and on the busy winter Sundays it shortens my time to get thru/around Ludlow when it backs up. Obviously it does not make sense when there is no traffic or bridge construction. And it is not 30 miles extra, check it out on MapQuest and don't forget to consider no traffic lights, never any radar and no traffic at all at any time.

PSA counts are damn important to guys despite some of the recent stories about wasting time and unnecessary concerns. I am hoping early detection saves my life.
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

ANGUS wrote:Thanks MrsG for the intel. I haven't been up since last Monday. They were still letting traffic on it. It was down to one lane with a flagger. I think its only a short bridge closure. 10-14 days? My bridge from Walpole NH to Westminster VT is down to one lane with lights at the moment. Must be construction season.
and to quote Jeff Foxworthy

If you know all 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter and road construction, you live in New England
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

OOPS ! Drove past Ludlow yesterday and forgot to check out the roads coming off the mountain. I did notice, while in East Wallingford, the detour signs on 103. Looks like they take the heavy traffic all the way to Rt. 7 and then North to 4. Talk about a long way around. The gun club road is the shortest way, and with spring traffic should be quite fast. The Red Bridge Road is typically used to bypass the Okemo afternoon disaster for traffic. You still have to catch a break from the traffic when getting back onto 103. By the time I get the actual road name the bridge will be re-opened.

Shut up and Ski!

MrsG
Whipping Post

Re: PSA - Route 100/103 Bridge work detour . . . update!

Post by MrsG »

Just did the detour - Buttermilk is .3 miles past the Rt 103/100 intersection, turn right. The Gun Rod right is another .6 miles. You need to go over a small bridge that is only one truck width wide. Continue to Rt 100 - one mile - you'll see Clear furniture - turn left and continue. It was a total of a 1.9 mile detour. It was a breeze, but remember, I did it in the daylight. The Gun Rod road is dirt, but a very hard packed dirt!! Good luck 8)