June 1 Final Day

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Coydog
Guru Poster

Re: June 1 Final Day

Post by Coydog »

One of the best closing days in recent memory.

The Proud Viking standing clean and sober while surveying his Kingdom surrounded by a few of his loyal subjects.

The Long Walk Down

The Glorious Ski Down

The Proud Viking, less clean, less sober, not even standing, but victorious nonetheless.

The End

Some of the crew sustained injuries that required heavy medication. By some miracle, I finally found the exit on the 802 bus.

October is right around the corner.
liv4ski
Bumper

Post by liv4ski »

madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

liv4ski wrote:
great job as always!!! there was some sketchball skiing going on out there yesterday...still what a great sendoff we gave the hill...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
buckethead
Slalom Racer

Post by buckethead »

dang nice video and quick work!
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Nice to see that Radio Ron enjoyed the day too.

Nice video.
Where is Happy Hour ?
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Good job on the video liv4ski.
liv4ski
Bumper

Post by liv4ski »

Thanks Rusty and Ty. Missed you yesterday.
liv4ski
Bumper

Post by liv4ski »

More pics for the record:

Lined up like on a pow day at Alta

Free ticket

Jeff greeting the thankful

Most likely the longest line of the season for SS

It will be interesting to see how many green shirts we see late May next season climbing down

Mike and Rob fielding requests, like a stair case down the headwall

Last chair of the season (I believe Dave had first chair of the season on Oct. 25)

Radio Ron is a skiing Mr. Rodgers
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

Thanks for the great vid and the Radio Ron honor. He is one of the spirits of skiing as we all are and for all my life I have felt proud and comforted to be a part of it participating and watching and a part that will live well beyond all of us. We know it it transcends time.
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Early sun quickly hid behind the thicking morning clouds. Line to get the free green skiing in June T shirts started building so we grabbed a slot. Large stack of free tickets were passed around as even season pass holders grabbed one marking the first lift served June skiing in 15 years. Groomer parked on to Headwall top had ropes to allow the horde to belay down to the snow. Overheard one skier say that he will never complain about hike down the Peak walkway again. Dropping was the common cry as folks pushed off into the narrow entrance leading to the groomed Superstar snow surface. Many from the early crowd did a lap or two then headed out. Buddy after our third run said that the snow was so nice he would very happy calling that his last run. We paced ourselves planning to enjoy the entire 8 hours of lift operation. Great to see so many friends come from far and wide to enjoy a rare June ski day. I had hiked up to ski the last three June 1st with this one marking my very first June lift served ski day. Hours passed way too quickly as we loaded heading for last chair party on top of Superstar. Hugs, cheers, toasts and fireworks marked the end of the longest season in the East. Had a spill on my last trip down as the bumps most be conquered on each and every run. Cut on my forearm required a few stiches so I left the after party to get fixed.

June Grade A+

Quote of the Day - Best June ski day that I have ever had.
Attachments
Morning Line.JPG
Morning Line.JPG (117.18 KiB) Viewed 540 times
Dropping.JPG
Dropping.JPG (111.98 KiB) Viewed 540 times
Snow Master.JPG
Snow Master.JPG (142.5 KiB) Viewed 540 times
Last Chair Party.JPG
Last Chair Party.JPG (112.32 KiB) Viewed 540 times
Final Run.JPG
Final Run.JPG (141.21 KiB) Viewed 540 times
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
buckethead
Slalom Racer

Post by buckethead »

^^ crap! Sorry to hear about the spill...and that you had to cut short your after-party.

Heal up fast.

But yes. An absolute A+ day.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Final Afternoon Report of the season: I can sum it up in one word.

Work

Glad so many of you have a great time out there. See ya in October (in the afternoon of course).
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
DES
Slalom Racer

Post by DES »

Wow, I knew the "morning line" was getting long, but since I was in it and too busy talking, I never noticed it went back that far! Once I was on the lift I didn't even think about turning around to look. Heal up fast GIS...
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

the skiing out there was both fun and work...sketchball conditions lead to sketchball skiing esp when the camera was out all day...I hit the ground more times in the last 2 weeks than in the last 2 years...

a bunch of stills from liv4ski's video:

bottom of the headwall, last run...

next frame:

aiming for the next bump:

the goal was to land on that bump:

gonna be a little shy:

taking off in the backseat w southside bobby looking on:

spot the landing and try to get r forward:

woulda coulda shoulda:

but not quite:

mudhatter from the top:

picking a line:

smashing the snirt:

spot the landing early and wait for the ground to come up:

Mr Moose in attack mode...

greg w the spreader daff:

mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Guy in Shorts wrote:Early sun quickly hid behind the thicking morning clouds. Line to get the free green skiing in June T shirts started building so we grabbed a slot. Large stack of free tickets were passed around as even season pass holders grabbed one marking the first lift served June skiing in 15 years. Groomer parked on to Headwall top had ropes to allow the horde to belay down to the snow. Overheard one skier say that he will never complain about hike down the Peak walkway again. Dropping was the common cry as folks pushed off into the narrow entrance leading to the groomed Superstar snow surface. Many from the early crowd did a lap or two then headed out. Buddy after our third run said that the snow was so nice he would very happy calling that his last run. We paced ourselves planning to enjoy the entire 8 hours of lift operation. Great to see so many friends come from far and wide to enjoy a rare June ski day. I had hiked up to ski the last three June 1st with this one marking my very first June lift served ski day. Hours passed way too quickly as we loaded heading for last chair party on top of Superstar. Hugs, cheers, toasts and fireworks marked the end of the longest season in the East. Had a spill on my last trip down as the bumps most be conquered on each and every run. Cut on my forearm required a few stiches so I left the after party to get fixed.

June Grade A+

Quote of the Day - Best June ski day that I have ever had.
Sorry to hear you got hurt and needed stitches. Heal up quickly because kayaking is waiting for you.