What were your best/worst days on the hill this season?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Bubba
Site Admin

What were your best/worst days on the hill this season?

Post by Bubba »

In the spirit of quality being more important than quantity, what were your best days and worst days out on the hill (Killington or elsewhere) this past season?
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Re: What were your best/worst days on the hill this season?

Post by Mister Moose »

Bubba wrote:In the spirit of quality being more important than quantity, what were your best days and worst days out on the hill (Killington or elsewhere) this past season?
He who asketh is not going to sayeth?
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Valentine's week was the best of the year. Woods were bottomless all week and we hit sugarbush on Valentine's day for $14.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

agree w/daytripper about valentine's week. each day got better that week. the april fool's storm was right up there. the 33" st patty's dump was great as well. the spring on supe rocked. so many great days this season ...

one of the worst - forgot the date, but late in the day went out for a few runs. think only snowdon & north ridge were open. saw corduroy on rime and thought this looks great. turns out it was so frozen that i left no mark on the 'roy. only lower snowdon was skiable.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
DES
Slalom Racer

Post by DES »

Ya made me look (usually I don't "look back" until I'm sick, or the next season is starting)...first off, it was a rare year for me, I only skied at K, nowhere else (that's so strange that no friends dragged me to a different mountain and also strange I didn't even think of it til now). I agree with the prior posts about the Valentines week (I preferred 2/17/17 that week though) and the St Patrick's stretch (I skied the 15th with my daughter, so that's my favorite, but I also rate the 17th & 20th right up there), New Years day was great (but empty, so I doubt many people remember that one specifically), and Ground Hog day also. For "spring", April 9th & 10th were awesome...so many A+ days this season! (oh, and to throw a quantity/quality one in, Jan 29th was great for me because it was my 300th day skiing since breaking my back and being told I'd never walk again...and even the steepest woods were skiable)
da Pimp
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by da Pimp »

Best day was both Tue/Wed at Gore for the big Valentine's dump. Even the AWD cars could not get out of their parking spaces at 5pm. Closely followed by a series of small but sweet snowfalls during a week at Snowbird (the mountain makes every day there special) and about a dozen really great days at Killington for reasons like fresh snow or warm & soft everywhere. One spring day we lapped Low Rider with constant freshies 7 times in a row, no one was in there and the entire area stayed fresh for a long time. Made us hoot & holler every run. My worst of 73 days were better than my best days last season. Not one day stands out as really crappy. Just a few that had me quit early around 1:30 due to frozen hard icy everywhere and no bumps or trees. Tapping the Guiness keg seemed more attractive.
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Best day was in March at Crystal Mountain WA. with SBF. Pow and Steeps galore.

Worst day was the following day at Mt. Baker WA. with SBF in the r*in.

Best East Coast: Jay Peak April 1st. Chowda.

Best Killington: Some Saturday in March when it dumped on Friday. Still got the goods in the trees (finally)
Last edited by RustyK on Jun 2nd, '17, 14:35, edited 1 time in total.
Where is Happy Hour ?
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

I only skied Killington this year so for me any days following substantial snowfall were great and any day following warmup/r*in and then freeze were the worst ones. Regardless I was always out there skiing whenever I could.
skixc2
Black Carver

Post by skixc2 »

Best: 1/9/17 @ Mt. Hood Meadows, Oregon (Middle of a snowstorm, mountain was empty and deep. Snowed a foot in Portland the next day.)

Best East Coast: 2/3/17 @ Wildcat, NH (runners up: 2/15/17 @ Cannon, NH & 4/1/17 @ Killington, VT)

Worst: 3/14/17 @ Ragged, NH (during Stella - wind was blowing so hard up the mountain that you couldn't pick up any speed, it would just bring you to a stop - Brutal!) (runner up: 3/2/17 @ Whaleback, NH )
Raise 'Em Jay
Coydog
Guru Poster

Post by Coydog »

In March, I was at Mary Jane skiing with 3 family friends, Mathew 11, Eli 10 and Liam 7. I skied with Eli for most of the week, pretty much going wherever I wanted to. He kept up remarkably well, but eventually I grew tired of giving him endless technical tips and I finally suggested, “just do what I do.” After the next run, he looked up and asked, “when do we get the beer?”

The whole week was building up to when Mathew would arrive. He’s older, lives locally and skis a lot. When the big day came, Mathew made it very clear what the pecking order was, but when we got on the snow, he was visibly astounded at how much Eli had improved. Skiing around tough terrain for a week made all the difference. So a new dynamic appeared, Mathew and Eli were now the tandem black diamond alphas and poor little Liam was the lowly green dot omega. This went on for the whole the day.

For the last run, we decided to ski a bump trail named Trestle, strategically picked because a blue trail essentially runs parallel to it. As we were standing at the in, the alphas barked out to Liam “it’s way too hard for you, you better go around.”

So the two older boys and I took off, skied down the first pitch and stopped for a quick rest. I looked behind me and low and behold, here comes Liam motoring down in the most determined power wedge I’ve ever seen.

In the middle of Trestle is a small cliff like section, similar to the steep pitch on Vertigo. Everyone seems to stop and sort it out before dropping in. Everyone but Liam, the kid just kept going. The bumps were so big, he could basically ski between them always maintaining his perfect wedge.

Well, all three of them absolutely nailed it. When we got to the bottom, I burst out laughing. The whole episode was just too cool.

Later I learned that Liam’s stature in the pack grew immensely, though not quite to the alpha level. Still, he was mighty proud of himself and can’t wait to go skiing again.

That was the best day for me.

Coypack on Trestle
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

First off: Nice picture of Trestle at Mary Jane !! One of my favorite runs there when we go in April.

Best day of the season: Day 6 at the Arlberg, Aut. It was a Saturday when the mountain is empty (Saturday is the normal 'change over' day for most visitors). Mostly sunny with plenty of pow especially on Rendl.

Worst day of the season was a foggy soaker at Killington back a few months.

Best day at K: One that really stands out was two weeks ago Saturday: Sunny with perfect to to bottom bumps followed by incredible apres-ski on the access road.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Mister Moose wrote:
Bubba wrote:In the spirit of quality being more important than quantity, what were your best days and worst days out on the hill (Killington or elsewhere) this past season?
He who asketh is not going to sayeth?
You probably also want to see my chopper. :wink:
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

Best day was also the first day. I had major back surgery last summer and was not at all sure what to expect on the first day out. It felt good and NORMAL. Whew!

Worst day had to be the Friday before New Years. A record sized crowd descended on my home mountain after the storm and I just could not really enjoy it as ALL the liftlines were just too damned long. I gave up after a half dozen runs as the wait too the fun out of it.
Finn
Postaholic

Post by Finn »

Every day I get to ski are the best days. Winter days are the best as everything I am allergic to is dead.
Worst days sometimes standing in the r*in working a race.
liv4ski
Bumper

Post by liv4ski »

I had many "best" days.

7 pow days at Snowbird in January - It snowed 6 feet while I was there.
Cirque

Wilber Bowl

Hero corn skiing in the trees during Presidents week vacation at Jay Peak with my kids

The week after in Wyoming where it snowed over 3 feet
Headwall - JH

Rock Springs Canyon - JH

Grand Targhee

Touring Teton Pass

Sugarbush two days after Stella with a fresh foot on top
Liftline

The slides at Whiteface with my son on a mid-March day

Then each of the 20 days I skied at K on my Spring Pass.

There were no worst days this season.