What activities do you participate in during the summer?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Re: What activities do you participate in during the summer?

Post by f.a.s.t. »

Second swim at the Alton Bay Town Beach, Lake Winnipesauke. I stay away from a lot of town beaches due to water quality issues, but not this one. This swimming hole has a buoy rope line about 25 yards out and is about 75 yards long. This is a good place to work on form, intervals and speed drills. It’s right on Route 11 almost at the very end of Alton Bay. There’s a paved parking lot and a long grassy strip with park benches, picnic tables and shade trees. Parking and swimming is free, both hard to find on this lake. Steps lead right down into the water at one end and at the other end there’s an octagon shaped platform. The water is very deep here, a life guard told me it’s 50 feet deep at the buoy rope line. The water moves here from wind and current and is refreshed by the pristine Merrymeeting River, known for brook trout. At first glance, one might not think too much of this place, but look closer. There’s a nice restaurant/tavern next to the beach with a waterside deck. There’s a good clam shack and a couple of shanty’s, bars, ice cream places, and other shops. There’s a public boat ramp and a marina. This is also a stop for the cruise ship MSS Mount Washington, the largest ship on the lake. Alton Bay is for the working man, the homes and businesses around the town beach are old, well maintained and down to earth. If you want swanky, head up to Meredith or to Wolfeboro to hang out with the Romney’s and the Marriott’s. At Alton Bay you’ll meet locals, fishermen, boaters and bikers; and if I’m there a skier that swims in the summer.
Attachments
Alton Bay Town Beach.JPG
Alton Bay Town Beach.JPG (418.99 KiB) Viewed 587 times
Alton Bay Town Beach 3.JPG
Alton Bay Town Beach 3.JPG (419.5 KiB) Viewed 587 times
Alton Bay Town Beach 2.JPG
Alton Bay Town Beach 2.JPG (415.86 KiB) Viewed 587 times
!!!!!!!!!! MAKE AMERICA LOVE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

dreaming of this:

march 1 2010....
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

madhatter wrote:dreaming of this:

march 1 2010....
yup, everything else is just killing time til we can do that again.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Hey guys I am dreaming of snow too but while it's summer I find things to enjoy. Skiadikt I'm sure you're golfing as well as gardening. Madhatter don't you like to mountain bike and garden too?
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

tyrolean_skier wrote:Hey guys I am dreaming of snow too but while it's summer I find things to enjoy. Skiadikt I'm sure you're golfing as well as gardening. Madhatter don't you like to mountain bike and garden too?
of course I just wanted to post that pic on this rather humid and somewhat boring VT summer day...

w the weather being what it's been we've taken to a bit of gravel grinding in place of MTB it's not a substitute but its not bad either...Been doing the wed bike bum race over at K ( no race this week) and busy w gardening etc..

Did a whole bunch of touristing w some friends this past week, sugarbush farms to stock up on cheese, got some nice extracts and bitters at woodstock farmers market ( and a decent sandwich too)

tried to get hibachi at yoshi on sunday nite, booked til 9 so we hit the garlic...I had the beef cannelloni something I wouldn't normally order but I was glad I did it as it was excellent...

tried to hit worthy burger for lunch on monday, no dice closed til 4pm...settled for crossroads on the deck, burger was fine fries were fine, definitely not the worthy burger though...

apparently there was a keg of ruby at the OGS in pittsfield but I was told it's about kicked now... :cry: :cry:
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

So far I have not been on the mountain bike nearly as much as I want to. (Translation = I have not gone yet this year). There are some state parks near us here in Mass that have some decent trail networks, so I will be getting out for sure, and the kiddos are getting into it which makes it even more fun!

On the flip side, I have done more fishing this year than normal and it has been a good year for the stripers so that has been fun. We have also done the typical hang out on the boat / hit a sand bar type of thing a few times as well so no real complaints on the summer so far. As the water warms up a bit here, I'll try to do a little bit of surfing in New Hampshire as well.

All is all it has been a good season so far. While skiing is my favorite activity, I really have gotten to where I find I enjoy all of the seasons pretty much equally so while I am not counting the days until skiing, I will be ready for it when the snow flies!
Don't Killington Pico
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

tyrolean_skier wrote:Hey guys I am dreaming of snow too but while it's summer I find things to enjoy. Skiadikt I'm sure you're golfing as well as gardening. Madhatter don't you like to mountain bike and garden too?
garden doing great (at least i think) and golfing a bit but hoped to do some mtb and get into kayaking, but sort of laid up a bit with my knee issues. see vt ortho next friday.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

skiadikt wrote:
garden doing great (at least i think) and golfing a bit but hoped to do some mtb and get into kayaking, but sort of laid up a bit with my knee issues. see vt ortho next friday.

Hopefully they will tell you what's wrong with the knee and help you heal. Let me know back channel what they tell you. Good luck.
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

Mountain biking, hiking and many walks with my pooch Roma. Rehabbing my partial MCL tear from April. Wasn't even snowboarding when it happened. Did it stepping out of my back board binding in Superstar lift line. Stepped out, put the foot down to push forward and it slipped because the snow was like porcelain and twisted my front knee inward because it was still attached to the board. ouch! Been able to walk since then and I'm able to ride my mountain bike no problem the last month so it's getting better. Just very slowwwwwwww.
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

madhatter wrote:dreaming of this:

march 1 2010....
I was there! :like It was awesome and shitty at the same time. The weather and riding was awesome, but a leak from the upper condo caused issues in our condo.
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

Third swim at Cummings Beach-Newfound Lake, Bristol, NH. The town boast it's the cleanest water in the state. There's a $5 fee if the parking lot attendant is there. The beach is one of the best places for a long and safe open water swim. The buoy rope line is about a 1/4 mile long and five feet deep. The current moves from west to east so swimming west is harder while swimming east is fast, and often there are little waves too. In a lot of places you can feel cold spring water coming up from the bottom and there's a lot of bass around. At one end of the rope line you can see the top of Ragged Mountain. Newfound lake also has a huge beach at Wellington State Park. There's an open water swim fund raiser there this Friday, Swim With A Mission, to support our veterans. If I'm not busy with work I may be able to participate.
Attachments
SAM_0052.JPG
SAM_0052.JPG (419.79 KiB) Viewed 426 times
SAM_0051.JPG
SAM_0051.JPG (415.61 KiB) Viewed 426 times
SAM_0050.JPG
SAM_0050.JPG (419.42 KiB) Viewed 426 times
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Those are pictures of picnic tables.
Where are the swimming action photos ?

The Romneys showed at Wolfboro on Saturday.
We saw them at Fay's Marina while fueling up. :like

Stripers are hitting off the Vineyard. :like
Oh, and GMNGC is in superb condition.

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

brownman wrote:Those are pictures of picnic tables.

Sorry Brownman, I don't own a Go Pro. Were you trolling for landlocked salmon on the big lake?
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

f.a.s.t. wrote:
brownman wrote:Those are pictures of picnic tables.

Sorry Brownman, I don't own a Go Pro. Were you trolling for landlocked salmon on the big lake?
Plus the last time I used my hand held camera for a video, it put you to sleep.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

No sweat :lol:
Only landlocked stuff we saw were on Harleys .. big ones.
Black tee shirted folk donning dinky helmets or kerchiefs.
Looked like a coal miner rally. 8)

We steered clear of the houseboat armadas.
The Broads are still NH's best waterway. :like

Forever .. Goat Path