What activities do you participate in during the summer?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

biged
Slalom Racer

Re: What activities do you participate in during the summer?

Post by biged »

wannabeskibum wrote:
jimmywilson69 wrote:
RustyK wrote:Trying to annoy all cars by biking 100+ miles a week to loose all the weight I gained during ski season.

3 feet please.

Me too! This is my 2nd full year of road biking already have 1500 miles for the year.
Me three - Been road biking now for about 6 years - managed to get in 5000 miles in 2016 (ski season was also bike season). This year biking has been a big part of my achilles tendon post surgery rehab -
5000 miles is an impressive number, you must not go to happy hour as much as I do. I'm at 2000 miles for the year biking, no trainer or roller miles. I bought winter gear to bike. Getting a flat a 8 degrees is miserable.
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

It seems lately to be the season I go have surgery and rehab. Badly tore my Quadriceps tendon over Memorial day weekend just by kneeling down inside my townhouse. Got surgery on June 30 and I am still in an immobilizer! Hope to be let out of it next week!
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Dickc wrote:It seems lately to be the season I go have surgery and rehab. Badly tore my Quadriceps tendon over Memorial day weekend just by kneeling down inside my townhouse. Got surgery on June 30 and I am still in an immobilizer! Hope to be let out of it next week!
It took me a good two months to recover from my gallbladder surgery. I am scheduled for another surgery on 9/11 so not sure when I can start preparing my body for the ski season.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

tyrolean_skier wrote:
Dickc wrote:It seems lately to be the season I go have surgery and rehab. Badly tore my Quadriceps tendon over Memorial day weekend just by kneeling down inside my townhouse. Got surgery on June 30 and I am still in an immobilizer! Hope to be let out of it next week!
It took me a good two months to recover from my gallbladder surgery. I am scheduled for another surgery on 9/11 so not sure when I can start preparing my body for the ski season.
Surgery for what??
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Bubba wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote:
Surgery for what??
To remove cysts from my ovaries. They saw that problem when they did an abdominal cat scan when I was in pain for the gallbladder but could not remove them at the time they removed the gallbladder because I also had infections that I was being treated for at that time.
wannabeskibum
Bumper

Post by wannabeskibum »

biged wrote:
wannabeskibum wrote:
jimmywilson69 wrote:
RustyK wrote:Trying to annoy all cars by biking 100+ miles a week to loose all the weight I gained during ski season.

3 feet please.

Me too! This is my 2nd full year of road biking already have 1500 miles for the year.
Me three - Been road biking now for about 6 years - managed to get in 5000 miles in 2016 (ski season was also bike season). This year biking has been a big part of my achilles tendon post surgery rehab -
5000 miles is an impressive number, you must not go to happy hour as much as I do. I'm at 2000 miles for the year biking, no trainer or roller miles. I bought winter gear to bike. Getting a flat a 8 degrees is miserable.
I count trainer miles - I figure if I am going to ride a trainer for an hour or an hour and half and do a virtual ride with the trainer being controlled by a GPS file then I should get "credit" for the ride. It certainly helps when the weather is not conducive to a ride. I also try not get flats at less than 25 degrees - so I don't ride outside when it is less than 25. Having said that - most of my miles last year were outdoors.

This year owing to the late start with my achilles rehab - I am barely at 2000 miles for the year.
Skis - Blizzard Brahma 88, Nordica Enforcer 104
Age - over 45 years @ Killington
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

wannabeskibum wrote:
biged wrote:
wannabeskibum wrote:
jimmywilson69 wrote:

3 feet please.

I count trainer miles - I figure if I am going to ride a trainer for an hour or an hour and half and do a virtual ride with the trainer being controlled by a GPS file then I should get "credit" for the ride. It certainly helps when the weather is not conducive to a ride. I also try not get flats at less than 25 degrees - so I don't ride outside when it is less than 25. Having said that - most of my miles last year were outdoors.

This year owing to the late start with my achilles rehab - I am barely at 2000 miles for the year.
About two moths to go until the walkway season kicks off. Sounds like your rehab will have you ready.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

wannabeskibum wrote:
I count trainer miles - I figure if I am going to ride a trainer for an hour or an hour and half and do a virtual ride with the trainer being controlled by a GPS file then I should get "credit" for the ride. It certainly helps when the weather is not conducive to a ride.
I also count them. I used a trainer and Zwift starting mid January to Mid March when I rode outside regularly. I plan on using it again starting in the fall, whenever it's too dark or cold to ride. I work hard and sweat my ass off while doing it. when I get off the trainer I am soaked in sweat and my legs are beat. Sure its not exactly like being outside, but its close. I was in much better riding shape this spring because of it.

I'm @ 2250 for the year, and on pace for 3500. I rode yesterday for the first time in 9 days. My knees are messed up after my back packing trip. Getting Old Sucks!
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA
Roundtop: 12/22,12/23, 1/8, 1/13, 1/14, 1/17 LR, 1/18 LR, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1//22 LR, 1/23 LR, 1/26, 1/29 LR, 2/2 LR, 2/3, 2/4, 2/7 LR, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/15, 2/16 LR, 2/17, 2/18, 2/19 LR, 2/21 LR, 3/8 LR, 3/9, 3/10

Ski Visits in VT
Okemo: 12/8, 2/29, 3/1, 3/2, 3/18
Stowe: 12/9
Killington: 12/10, 2/25, 2/26, 2/27, 3/16, 3/17

Ski Visits in NY
Hunter: 3/15

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

jimmywilson69 wrote:
wannabeskibum wrote:
I count trainer miles - I figure if I am going to ride a trainer for an hour or an hour and half and do a virtual ride with the trainer being controlled by a GPS file then I should get "credit" for the ride. It certainly helps when the weather is not conducive to a ride.
I also count them. I used a trainer and Zwift starting mid January to Mid March when I rode outside regularly. I plan on using it again starting in the fall, whenever it's too dark or cold to ride. I work hard and sweat my ass off while doing it. when I get off the trainer I am soaked in sweat and my legs are beat. Sure its not exactly like being outside, but its close. I was in much better riding shape this spring because of it.

I'm @ 2250 for the year, and on pace for 3500. I rode yesterday for the first time in 9 days. My knees are messed up after my back packing trip. Getting Old Sucks!
STRETCH!!! tight hamstrings and calves are a major cause of "non-injury" knee pain...gotta be a regular part of your life to make a difference though....once in a while won't cut it...3 times weekly fills the bill...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
wannabeskibum
Bumper

Post by wannabeskibum »

madhatter wrote:
jimmywilson69 wrote:
wannabeskibum wrote:

STRETCH!!! tight hamstrings and calves are a major cause of "non-injury" knee pain...gotta be a regular part of your life to make a difference though....once in a while won't cut it...3 times weekly fills the bill...
:like :like :like
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

A guy at work told me the same thing.

Is this stretching right after the work out or independent stretching?

I'm sure both are important. Currently do neither...

My buddy and I hiked 45 miles of the AT in CT in 50 hours. Can't do that anymore... without training, at least.
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA
Roundtop: 12/22,12/23, 1/8, 1/13, 1/14, 1/17 LR, 1/18 LR, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1//22 LR, 1/23 LR, 1/26, 1/29 LR, 2/2 LR, 2/3, 2/4, 2/7 LR, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/15, 2/16 LR, 2/17, 2/18, 2/19 LR, 2/21 LR, 3/8 LR, 3/9, 3/10

Ski Visits in VT
Okemo: 12/8, 2/29, 3/1, 3/2, 3/18
Stowe: 12/9
Killington: 12/10, 2/25, 2/26, 2/27, 3/16, 3/17

Ski Visits in NY
Hunter: 3/15

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
wannabeskibum
Bumper

Post by wannabeskibum »

jimmywilson69 wrote:A guy at work told me the same thing.

My buddy and I hiked 45 miles of the AT in CT in 50 hours. Can't do that anymore... without training, at least.

Both are important - after work out and independent stretching (generally as part of a "core" workout).
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

wannabeskibum wrote:
jimmywilson69 wrote:A guy at work told me the same thing.

Both are important - after work out and independent stretching (generally as part of a "core" workout).
for me it;s the maintenance of flexibility...as we go hard especially weekend warriors we tend to "overstretch" or otherwise extend our range of motion outside the norm...as those muscles contract they tend to tighten up and eventually "over tighten" when this happens it exerts foprce on your joints that causes them to track differently...

I had an "issue" with my knee in the early 2000's and no one could diagnose it as anything other than overuse, rest it...eventually mrs hatter determined it was likely improper tracking of the knee due to tight hamstrings...longer story short w/in a few weeks of regular stretching the issue went away and rarely returns...

*sidenote at first I was stretching infrequently and it actually seemed to make it worse, once I got to a point where I was stretching regularly, I was able to maintain that "looseness" for the most part...that in turn helps w proper alignment....again for the most part... ( there's no defying age)

I swear by it now, ask moose...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....