Bike Bum 2017

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

madhatter
Signature Poster

Re: Bike Bum 2017

Post by madhatter »

Bike bum is this Wednesday from 2pm-5pm with the after party at Casey's Caboose and is sponsored by Long Trail Brewing and Smith.
The weather looks good and we are looking forward to seeing everyone there!
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

this weeks results....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0pBfK ... FYcnc/view" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So as I well expected this week's race was w/in fractions of a second as my buddy is shaving time weekly on his new ride...I'm gonna have to make some kind of improvements if i want to beat him next week...and of course i want to....but want is only part of it...He's a really good rider that whips me on the uphills at GMT and now he has a bike to match his skills in the bum race...it's a modern carbon fiber air/air 27.5 tubeless 1x11 ~30lb enduro bike which is probably ideal for our race course...my bike weighs in at about 45lbs its a 2010 26" wire bead dh casing coil/coil 2x9 bashguard, roller guide dh/freeride bike that I built before snowshed and flow trails were on the radar...that said his bike may have gained him some time but it's not really my bike that's holding me back...perhaps a bikes similar to his might help me shave time as well but there;s plenty of places on the course where I'm losing time, and none of it is the bikes fault....

four more races to go...last race is aug 30th

sidenote on casey's yep LOTS of new varnish otherwise same place for the most part....the one bartender working yesterday stayed busy for sure...they had a decent selection of whiskey on the bar, typical K beer choices fiddlehead, cone head and a bunch of mass produced beers....
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

so I had some time to play around w one of my bikes this weekend, my intense tracerVP trail bike...after having f'd up a couple tires coming down sideways after a tail whip ( or so it seemed) I was unable to get either of them to seat properly in order to run em tubeless so I stuffed tubes in em and rode em all wobbly anyway ( one was particularly "twisted" and wouldn't set on the rim properly even w close to 100 lb in it I was afraid to put anymore in it)...long story longer, I had some virtually new tires on mrs hatters old bike that I put on right before she got her new one...same tire conti trail king 2.2 but not a UST version...

anyway I decided to swap em over and see if I could get em to run tubeless on a UST wheelset...a big key here was wetting the bead with dish soap ( dawn etc) prior to inflation...I did that and loaded 2oz stans into each tire, inflated to rock hard and did the prescribed distribution technique to both wheels...they held but were pushing stans thru the sidewall some and were pretty soft by the next morning...Disappointed but not totally ready to abandon the effort I put another 1-2 oz of stans in each tire, super inflated em again and re-did the distribution technique...

Voila!!! they stayed super hard throughout last nites ride and are still just as hard this morning...nice to be running tubeless again...thinking about going tubeless on my DH bike when I get some new tires for it...I'll be running it as is for the foreseeable future...
mach es sehr schnell

Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Post by Woodsrider »

madhatter wrote:so I had some time to play around w one of my bikes this weekend, my intense tracerVP trail bike...after having f'd up a couple tires coming down sideways after a tail whip ( or so it seemed) I was unable to get either of them to seat properly in order to run em tubeless so I stuffed tubes in em and rode em all wobbly anyway ( one was particularly "twisted" and wouldn't set on the rim properly even w close to 100 lb in it I was afraid to put anymore in it)...long story longer, I had some virtually new tires on mrs hatters old bike that I put on right before she got her new one...same tire conti trail king 2.2 but not a UST version...

anyway I decided to swap em over and see if I could get em to run tubeless on a UST wheelset...a big key here was wetting the bead with dish soap ( dawn etc) prior to inflation...I did that and loaded 2oz stans into each tire, inflated to rock hard and did the prescribed distribution technique to both wheels...they held but were pushing stans thru the sidewall some and were pretty soft by the next morning...Disappointed but not totally ready to abandon the effort I put another 1-2 oz of stans in each tire, super inflated em again and re-did the distribution technique...

Voila!!! they stayed super hard throughout last nites ride and are still just as hard this morning...nice to be running tubeless again...thinking about going tubeless on my DH bike when I get some new tires for it...I'll be running it as is for the foreseeable future...
Tubless is the way to go for sure. I run tubless on my trail and dh bikes. Tire spins up so much faster and I swear I can feel the ground interface so much better. But you have to set pressure every ride. Mine leak a psi or 2 everyday. I also run pretty low pressures. 18 psi front and 25 rear on my trail bike, schwalbe 2.35 Magic Mary up front and 2.35 nobby Nic with high volume rims on the trail bike and 25 psi front 30 rear for my dh bike. I just installed 2.6 Magic Mary vert star in the dh rig and love them. The traction is amazing and they have awesome damping qualities. I do feel a little squirm in the rear on high speed rocks, which I don't like. But I think the traction and rim protection is worth it. I haven't burped either set up yet. BTW, I wet the bead with stans not soap to get a quick seal. But I also use a compressor. No way I'd try it with a bike pump. Another little tid bit. I went to the new schwalbe addix compound for my trail bike and I hated it for the rear nobby Nic addix speed. Horrible traction but it rolled really well. So I cut some sips into the center tread blocks and now they work great. Front is amazing.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Woodsrider wrote:
madhatter wrote:so I had some time to play around w one of my bikes this weekend, my intense tracerVP trail bike...after having f'd up a couple tires coming down sideways after a tail whip ( or so it seemed) I was unable to get either of them to seat properly in order to run em tubeless so I stuffed tubes in em and rode em all wobbly anyway ( one was particularly "twisted" and wouldn't set on the rim properly even w close to 100 lb in it I was afraid to put anymore in it)...long story longer, I had some virtually new tires on mrs hatters old bike that I put on right before she got her new one...same tire conti trail king 2.2 but not a UST version...

Tubless is the way to go for sure. I run tubless on my trail and dh bikes. Tire spins up so much faster and I swear I can feel the ground interface so much better. But you have to set pressure every ride. Mine leak a psi or 2 everyday. I also run pretty low pressures. 18 psi front and 25 rear on my trail bike, schwalbe 2.35 Magic Mary up front and 2.35 nobby Nic with high volume rims on the trail bike and 25 psi front 30 rear for my dh bike. I just installed 2.6 Magic Mary vert star in the dh rig and love them. The traction is amazing and they have awesome damping qualities. I do feel a little squirm in the rear on high speed rocks, which I don't like. But I think the traction and rim protection is worth it. I haven't burped either set up yet. BTW, I wet the bead with stans not soap to get a quick seal. But I also use a compressor. No way I'd try it with a bike pump. Another little tid bit. I went to the new schwalbe addix compound for my trail bike and I hated it for the rear nobby Nic addix speed. Horrible traction but it rolled really well. So I cut some sips into the center tread blocks and now they work great. Front is amazing.
yep no idea what I want for tires I really liked these el moco's ( i have 2 sets of executioners brand new but I doubt I even want to run em now, too much tire for flow trails that didn't exist when I bought em...)

tire criteria for dh tires, fast rolling, sticky in the corners, 26" up to say 2.5" DH casing...who says what? list em up...

I like tubeless but it;s a pain in the @ss when it doesn't work out...and if I get a flat on trail and have to stuff a tube in it, I hardly ever have the time or desire to put it back to tubeless when I get home...

EDIT these tires are eric carter excavators, I'm gonna run em since I have em on hand....reviews seems like they roll and stick well...ugh wirebeads on UST wheels...good call on the stans beadlube, hope its slippery enough...I'll be cursing you if its not!!! :mrgreen:
mach es sehr schnell

Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Post by Woodsrider »

madhatter wrote:
Woodsrider wrote:

yep no idea what I want for tires I really liked these el moco's ( i have 2 sets of executioners brand new but I doubt I even want to run em now, too much tire for flow trails that didn't exist when I bought em...)

tire criteria for dh tires, fast rolling, sticky in the corners, 26" up to say 2.5" DH casing...who says what? list em up...

I like tubeless but it;s a pain in the @ss when it doesn't work out...and if I get a flat on trail and have to stuff a tube in it, I hardly ever have the time or desire to put it back to tubeless when I get home...

EDIT these tires are eric carter excavators, I'm gonna run em since I have em on hand....reviews seems like they roll and stick well...ugh wirebeads on UST wheels...good call on the stans beadlube, hope its slippery enough...I'll be cursing you if its not!!! :mrgreen:
Just make sure the tire is in the drop center as you're working it on and it should slip on with one maybe 2 spoons.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

bike bum is on just 4 races to go...

Bike bum tomorrow from 2-5pm on lower Side Show Bob. After party will be at Outback Pizza and we are sponsored by Long Trail Brewing and Race Face.
mach es sehr schnell

madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

The weather threw a curve ball but thank you to the 68 riders who came out before the r*in today. Big kudos to Outback Pizza, Long Trail Brewing, and Race Face.
We have a trail day Tuesday, August 15th 1pm-5pm. It will be removing brush from the new trail. Anyone is welcome for any or all of the hours. This does count towards your merchant seasons pass hours too.
Follow the link for race results.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0pBfK ... hxN2M/view" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

shaving time is tough...been range bound for the last 3 races...we've had a pretty good dry spell weather-wise lately and there's a lot of loose stuff piling up low in the berms...during a break in riding a woman parked next to me showed up w a big ugly gash on her unprotected knees, made me decide to wear my leg protection which a rarely do on race day...good premonition on my part as I crashed during the next practice run...nothing too major but it would have been ugly w/o padding...lucked out w the r*in dance preventing my closest competition from making his run...madhattermobile will be getting some new sneakers for next weeks race...

three races to go...
mach es sehr schnell

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

madhatter wrote:
The weather threw a curve ball but thank you to the 68 riders who came out before the r*in today. Big kudos to Outback Pizza, Long Trail Brewing, and Race Face.
We have a trail day Tuesday, August 15th 1pm-5pm. It will be removing brush from the new trail. Anyone is welcome for any or all of the hours. This does count towards your merchant seasons pass hours too.
Follow the link for race results.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0pBfK ... hxN2M/view" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

shaving time is tough...been range bound for the last 3 races...we've had a pretty good dry spell weather-wise lately and there's a lot of loose stuff piling up low in the berms...during a break in riding a woman parked next to me showed up w a big ugly gash on her unprotected knees, made me decide to wear my leg protection which a rarely do on race day...good premonition on my part as I crashed during the next practice run...nothing too major but it would have been ugly w/o padding...lucked out w the r*in dance preventing my closest competition from making his run...madhattermobile will be getting some new sneakers for next weeks race...

three races to go...
top 20 and leading your division. you are consistent but i assume, like skiing racing, that once you reach a certain level, you stay there w/o major refinements or advances in technique.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

If its anything like skiing, its more than technique.

Technique
Conditioning
Equipment
Desire
Time on hill
Coaching

Good genes don't hurt either.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Mister Moose wrote:If its anything like skiing, its more than technique.

Technique always something you can tweak, not as much option for line choice as in skiing, still there are options...you can always get alittle lower, a little looser, a little more aggressive/confident/committed...
Conditioning problem I have there is I have to rest sometime...I don't have the boundless energy and strength I once thought i had...
Equipment sometimes just the psychological advantage of a fresh ride, ski's , bike maybe even just tires or boots can help with technique and gain some precious tenths...the guy right behind me shaved 5 seconds w a new bike...
Desire gotta balance that w willingness to get hurt...
Time on hill always helps to have more experience, unless you just keep having the same experience...
Coaching hard to come by, always welcome...

BALLZ ya forgot this part...some of these riders are virtually fearless...the ground is way harder and more abrasive than snow ever dreamed of...

Good genes don't hurt either.I only do the jeans thing for spring skiing...and learn how to spell :mrgreen:
having THE perfect bike for THAT COURSE for THAT RIDER ( you) is the best way to gain an advantage on top of whatever skills you bring...no doubt about it a sub 30lb enduro bike is a lot lighter and faster than a 45 lb freeride/DH bike on a course that requires a lot of pedaling on flat( ish) terrain...but ya go pretty damn fast for the layout of the course w a sketchy exit from the woods 90* to a fire road and big water bar so ya need enough bike and tire to handle it...in any case a magic bike won't carry you to a win any more than magic ski's will...

that said the stuff REAL DH riders do is off the charts insane compared to our race described by one rider as:

riding short sections of relatively easy trail at borderline sketchy speeds...

the top rider had exactly 1:00:00 this week...no one has broken a minute yet...3 races to go...

still could use someone to take some pics if anyone is interested...
mach es sehr schnell

Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Post by Woodsrider »

madhatter wrote:

Technique always something you can tweak, not as much option for line choice as in skiing, still there are options...you can always get alittle lower, a little looser, a little more aggressive/confident/committed...
Conditioning problem I have there is I have to rest sometime...I don't have the boundless energy and strength I once thought i had...
Equipment sometimes just the psychological advantage of a fresh ride, ski's , bike maybe even just tires or boots can help with technique and gain some precious tenths...the guy right behind me shaved 5 seconds w a new bike...
Time on hill always helps to have more experience, unless you just keep having the same experience...

BALLZ ya forgot this part...some of these riders are virtually fearless...the ground is way harder and more abrasive than snow ever dreamed of...

Good genes don't hurt either.I only do the jeans thing for spring skiing...and learn how to spell :mrgreen:
having THE perfect bike for THAT COURSE for THAT RIDER ( you) is the best way to gain an advantage on top of whatever skills you bring...no doubt about it a sub 30lb enduro bike is a lot lighter and faster than a 45 lb freeride/DH bike on a course that requires a lot of pedaling on flat( ish) terrain...but ya go pretty damn fast for the layout of the course w a sketchy exit from the woods 90* to a fire road and big water bar so ya need enough bike and tire to handle it...in any case a magic bike won't carry you to a win any more than magic ski's will...

that said the stuff REAL DH riders do is off the charts insane compared to our race described by one rider as:

the top rider had exactly 1:00:00 this week...no one has broken a minute yet...3 races to go...

When it comes to racing you need to break the track down into sub sections and figure out how to do each section faster. More often than not there will be a couple sections where you can squeeze a few tenths easily. For that track there are 3 turns that eat momentum. One of which you mentioned. The flat loose right onto the Maintenace road can be hit flat out if you drift it and hop the following water bar. That will allow you to carry a lot more speed on the following straight. The other 2 tight berms are tough to hit flat out. You just have to trust traction and take the gs. But any tenths saved in those turns will multiply at the exit. Work on each turn by itself and you will find speed.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Woodsrider wrote:
madhatter wrote:

When it comes to racing you need to break the track down into sub sections and figure out how to do each section faster. More often than not there will be a couple sections where you can squeeze a few tenths easily. For that track there are 3 turns that eat momentum. One of which you mentioned. The flat loose right onto the Maintenace road can be hit flat out if you drift it and hop the following water bar. it gets a lot narrower on race day cuz they have a rope so people can ride down outside the course..That will allow you to carry a lot more speed on the following straight. The other 2 tight berms are tough to hit flat out. You just have to trust traction and take the gs. But any tenths saved in those turns will multiply at the exit. Work on each turn by itself and you will find speed.
we've been racing the same course all summer...I agree w what you are saying. there are just fewer and fewer tenths to gain as the weeks go by...
mach es sehr schnell

Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Post by Woodsrider »

madhatter wrote:
Woodsrider wrote:
madhatter wrote:

When it comes to racing you need to break the track down into sub sections and figure out how to do each section faster. More often than not there will be a couple sections where you can squeeze a few tenths easily. For that track there are 3 turns that eat momentum. One of which you mentioned. The flat loose right onto the Maintenace road can be hit flat out if you drift it and hop the following water bar. it gets a lot narrower on race day cuz they have a rope so people can ride down outside the course..That will allow you to carry a lot more speed on the following straight. The other 2 tight berms are tough to hit flat out. You just have to trust traction and take the gs. But any tenths saved in those turns will multiply at the exit. Work on each turn by itself and you will find speed.
we've been racing the same course all summer...I agree w what you are saying. there are just fewer and fewer tenths to gain as the weeks go by...
Ok that will limit your speed into that turn. In that case for that turn, turn in earlier which will allow a later apex and line you up for the straight sooner. It's all about geometry. I also learned on that trail you can pump the hell out of the flat section right after the road. Each turn has a pump before it that you can accelerate. It's that last big right hander that kills momentum. Once I put the new Magic Mary's on my Santa Cruz I was able to carry a lot more speed through it. It scared the crap out of me on the Minions. Now I don't brake at all.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

These are shots taken from the bike bum race on 8/2. Thank you to Chandler Burgess and his crew for the shots.
Bike bum race will be tomorrow 8/16 from 2-5 pm and the after party is Domenic's Pizzeria.
We have a trail day today from 1-5, come on down and help out.
https://www.facebook.com/killingtonmtb/ ... 5588603395" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

only 3 races left...
mach es sehr schnell