GSKI
Powderhound

Cool real old K pic pre almost everything

Post by GSKI »

throbster
Postaholic

Re: Cool real old K pic pre almost everything

Post by throbster »

That photo brings into perspective how big and prominent Mendon Peak is yet we hardly see her from the ski area.
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
Sgt Eddy Brewers
Slalom Racer

Post by Sgt Eddy Brewers »

FANTASTIC picture....this is so early. Wow!

Also looks a little like the hardwood sections of "Snowdon Bowl" and Big Dipper glades look like they are pretty thin.... possibly younger trees? , post lumbering, back then or is that just silly?
Ski the edges!
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

Why didn't Pres run all the way to the real peak? Same reason we only have one lift to the false peak today ?
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

Why didn't Pres run all the way to the real peak? Same reason we only have one lift to the false peak today ?
Probably due to environmental and engineering considerations jerky. What do you think of that sizzle chest!
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

GSKI wrote:
Probably due to environmental and engineering considerations jerky. What do you think of that sizzle chest!
Class act GSKI. All you can pull out is a 3rd grade Jerky boys reaction. Quality work. You'll fit in nicely at Stowe.
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Lots more woods runs back in the day...eh?

If anyone even did the woods back in the day...
Where is Happy Hour ?
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

Early drone shot . . .
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

GSKI wrote:
I doubt there were environmental considerations in the 50's.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Sgt Eddy Brewers wrote:FANTASTIC picture....this is so early. Wow!

Also looks a little like the hardwood sections of "Snowdon Bowl" and Big Dipper glades look like they are pretty thin.... possibly younger trees? , post lumbering, back then or is that just silly?
Most of the steep hardwood zones look like that, even if they've never been trimmed.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
Sgt Eddy Brewers
Slalom Racer

Post by Sgt Eddy Brewers »

Highway Star wrote:

Most of the steep hardwood zones look like that, even if they've never been trimmed.

I suppose that sounds mostly right. Those sections just look so ski-able in that picture. Would have been a great time for tree skiing...and low traffic!
Ski the edges!
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Sgt Eddy Brewers wrote:
Highway Star wrote:

I suppose that sounds mostly right. Those sections just look so ski-able in that picture. Would have been a great time for tree skiing...and low traffic!
Cutting, snow making and the final death nell to Big Dipper, the Canyon Quad, changed BD forever. Storms knocked trees down and young growth was trampled. Lots of bad choices when it came to tree skiing but "it is what it is", and we have to work around it.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

I doubt there were environmental considerations in the 50's
How about high winds?
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

GSKI wrote:
How about high winds?
started happening during the last few ASC years then picked up significantly once POWDR came on board...worst ever since last november w no reprieve in sight...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

GSKI wrote:
How about high winds?
Excessive cutting of glades and opening tails supporting the trees caused a lot of damage. Look at the dead trees along the Canyon Quad. No protection or support, trees fall down. South ridge when I first skied had pines no more than 2 or 3 feet tall because they over cut. No wind barrier, a couple ice storms and boom, South Ridge (and probably East Glade) lost its upper mountain forestry.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?