Live Killington is now Six Peaks Killington

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Bubba
Site Admin

Re: Live Killington is now Six Peaks Killington

Post by Bubba »

Giving the village a name and a new logo doesn't make the plan any better than it has been. It still sucks.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
yiddle on da fiddle
Powderhound

Post by yiddle on da fiddle »

Skivt2 wrote:Try again. 1/3 of the Bear parking disappears next year. The parking at Killington makes the mountain community what it is in my opinion. For all the people who drive to the mountan every day to ski a few hours this will be a disaster. We are simply not interested in visiting a mountain where we can't park close enough to go back to the car easily to get stuff during the day and to tailgate with other likeminded people after. Don't Stratton Killington.
Curious where you are getting your (mis)information....nowhere is there any mention of Bear parking revisions....
liv4ski
Bumper

Post by liv4ski »

Bubba wrote:
In the near term, even with the disappearance of the Snowshed/Ramshead lots, there will still be KBL, Snowdon and Vail lots available. Spring tailgating should not be affected.
I thought the plans showed the access rd. under the SS chair will be removed. Spring tailgating in Bay 1 may still exist, but it's a long walk from there to the SS chair after the gondi closes for the season.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

SnoBrdr wrote:
hillbangin wrote:Parking is not an issue if you get to the hill on Saturday before 830 or at 1PM.

Sunday is NOT an issue any time.

Besides - It will be 10 years before all the parking is gone.

I worry more about paying to park - they expanded the pay to park spaces quite a bit last year down into Bay 2 toward the Slowdon chair.

They are not stupid enough to make all of K1 pay to park are they?
Obviously they expanded it as people were willing to pay.

Some here do pay but I never would.

They expanded it to Bay 2 near Snowdon - and it NEVER filled up.

1PM arrivals had slopeside parking all winter.
Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Post by Woodsrider »

Bubba wrote:
SnoBrdr wrote:
Bubba wrote:
da Pimp wrote:What he forgot to mention is how difficult it will be to park after the village goes in. There isn't enough parking access now. Access to K1 and whatever new lodges go up (Snowshed and Rams Head go away for the village) seems to be a forgotten detail. I would hope that POWDR leans some of their 30% ownership weight on this issue, since lift ticket cash flow and lodge sales will suffer when people start to try the other Vermont ski & ride options. Making it a PITA to fork over your money and try to have a good time is a sure fire method for losing customer base. The overcrowding for parking and getting on/off the hill on holiday and peak Saturdays will be atrocious, and those customers will remember that in living color the next time they decide to visit a mountain. "Let's try somewhere else that is customer friendly and not a PITA".

Of course, POWDR always wanted the higher margin/smaller crowd atmosphere, so by starving the parking and mountain access they get their wish after all. Meanwhile SP Land investors will reap their profits and move on to some other project.
It's not a forgotten detail, just an unpleasant alternative. They will be replacing the 1,200 spaces at Snowshed/Ramshead with remote parking for 1,200 and a shuttle system. A PITA for sure and one that will either drive families away or encourage them to stay in the village.
Why would a shuttle drive people away?

We both have used it for years, well you not so much now that you moved to the high rent district.

But to us that's one of the best parts of owning the condo is the shuttle.
Picture this. A family with young kids stays outside the village and drives to the mountain. They have to park off site, unload their vehicle, carry their equipment across the parking lot to a shuttle, wait for the bus, get on the bus and ride to the new skier services building. They then unload, carry their equipment into the building and get to their kids' ski school enrollment. Along with added inconvenience, think about the extra time it will take. What time do they need to get to the parking lot to make ski school? Then, at the end of the day, they have to reverse the process. Some people will surely be encouraged to stay in the village but others will be discouraged by the inconvenient process.

As for the current condo shuttle system, the plan is not to have those shuttles drop you in front of the Lodge but to move the condo system delivery point to the outer corner of the village, closer to Mountain Green, from where you will have to walk through the village to Snowshed. I'm not sure condo owners will appreciate that change.
That may work well for us Mtn Greeners. We will be able to take the K1/SS/Bear shuttle right to K1. Much better for powder days. I take 2 busses now on powder days.
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

I'll never take a bus to ski. If I have to be shuttled in to K1 from a house just off the access road I'm done. I like being able to get in early and get good parking. If I wanted the whole snotty village thing I could go to Stratton. I guess The whole spring S.S. tailgate scene will be done. Really whats the point after that? Time to look into moving west. It's not like Killington has done anything to upgrade skiing in a while. Maybe a new SRT? Pretty poor for a mountain that prided themselves on being the biggest and best in the Northeast. The lifts are old. K1 stops often. Real estate development wont help that. I know the mountain is broke and scrounging for money. I'm an idiot for renewing my pass. SP and powder need to get there act together. The whole village will save Killington thing is a joke. Truth is powder bought a mountain that needs upgrades. Maybe some work at bear this summer? They have yet to do so. Ohh, ahh pretty mulch and stone at K1 in the summer. Does nothing for a ski resort. Can I have a refund for being tricked? Powder sucks! Poor Mike. I really like the guy.
Angry pass holder out!
yiddle on da fiddle
Powderhound

ANGUS wrote:I'll never take a bus to ski. If I have to be shuttled in to K1 from a house just off the access road I'm done. I like being able to get in early and get good parking. If I wanted the whole snotty village thing I could go to Stratton. I guess The whole spring S.S. tailgate scene will be done. Really whats the point after that? Time to look into moving west. It's not like Killington has done anything to upgrade skiing in a while. Maybe a new SRT? Pretty poor for a mountain that prided themselves on being the biggest and best in the Northeast. The lifts are old. K1 stops often. Real estate development wont help that. I know the mountain is broke and scrounging for money. I'm an idiot for renewing my pass. SP and powder need to get there act together. The whole village will save Killington thing is a joke. Truth is powder bought a mountain that needs upgrades. Maybe some work at bear this summer? They have yet to do so. Ohh, ahh pretty mulch and stone at K1 in the summer. Does nothing for a ski resort. Can I have a refund for being tricked? Powder sucks! Poor Mike. I really like the guy.
Angry pass holder out!
Cant find any flaws in this fellas stances...inasmuch as K's infrastructure is ailing n failing?....they are robbing the receipts blind...its the goose that keeps laying the golden eggs. I've skied a lotta places...cant recall ANYWHERE that has lift starts n stops like k does. Inexcusable....or just..." MORE excuses". I own property here....so I'm NOT really likely to jump ship and start road tripping to another hill....this village sh*t?........will be the consumate coffin nail.
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

yiddle on da fiddle wrote:
Skivt2 wrote:Try again. 1/3 of the Bear parking disappears next year. The parking at Killington makes the mountain community what it is in my opinion. For all the people who drive to the mountan every day to ski a few hours this will be a disaster. We are simply not interested in visiting a mountain where we can't park close enough to go back to the car easily to get stuff during the day and to tailgate with other likeminded people after. Don't Stratton Killington.
Curious where you are getting your (mis)information....nowhere is there any mention of Bear parking revisions....
Earlier posts and news stated new construction to begin on housing between OL and Devils Fiddle. It along with renovations to the Bear Lodge will take up the parking from the Bear Lodge to where the DF lift used to be.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
yiddle on da fiddle
Powderhound

Dr. NO wrote:
yiddle on da fiddle wrote:
Earlier posts and news stated new construction to begin on housing between OL and Devils Fiddle. It along with renovations to the Bear Lodge will take up the parking from the Bear Lodge to where the DF lift used to be.
Pfff....read what they , the BUILDERS....actually reported and displayed on the maps. Sheesh...Yes...that old ( totally unused) third tier of unpaved , unimproved land at the bottom of DF...WILL be the build up. NOTHING in Bears main lot....will be affected. Details...Details...Details....Youre welcome...
ski2Bsane
Blue Chatterbox

Post by ski2Bsane »

Rode the lift at the end of the season with one of the "higher ups" from Powder I asked him about improvements and he said that the interconnect is a dead issue that they are not even considering. He said powder believes that the Pico lots will fill up early with people who are just going to K and prevent Pico from making money. Not sure I agree with that logic but he was pretty firm in his belief that there will be no interconnect. I cant believe they would build the village w/o offering the option of skiing the Beast or take one lift and ski the most quintessential New England ski resort left.