fat map/off map terrain

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

octo
Beginner On Rentals

fat map/off map terrain

Post by octo »

Looks like an online map of the off-map stuff is in progress. At least it's currently useless... but that will change :bang

https://maps.fatmap.com/map/USA/Killington" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
da Pimp
Double Diamond Skidder

Re: fat map/off map terrain

Post by da Pimp »

Not sure if it is possible technically, but this product needs to be killed off as soon as possible. It will only serve those who never put in the time, the effort or have the skills to venture on to unadvertised acreage, no matter how small it may be.

For starters, if jerks start to illustrate bonafide lines formerly unmentionable then the wiser should illustrate some lines on the flat crappy parts of the hill which will frustrate the herbs and self-made idiot skiers and riders who want something for nothing and then brag at a bar of their awesome "off trail backwoods adventures".
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

you guys realize strava, ski trax, trace snow etc all track your exact location and route on a topographical map that is viewable online right...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
da Pimp
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by da Pimp »

I don't use any tracking app. My helmet cam or goggle cam is my record on those great days. Anyone with me knows where we were and I protect our special experiences rigorously. Even caught some herbs trying to shadow me once. "i'm going in the lodge" but instead followed me up a chair and tried to lay low behind me. So I went into the trees, stopped to take a piss, and here they come following my tracks. C'mon guys you have to do better than that.

But you are right, any number of people might venture somewhere either on purpose or accident and make an electronic record of a line off the map. And someone will look for them and spread that info to a few, which becomes a few dozen, which becomes a few hundred, etc. So I would like to make it as hard as possible to publicize special places. I owe it to my friends and all others who feel the same way.
BoozeTan
Guru Poster

Post by BoozeTan »

I do use skitrax, however when I post stuff online I dont post the map of where I have been if I venture into umarked tree runs
icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

I have a map I drew with Barnibus but it's under lock and key.
"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh
Mistergiff
Black Carver

Post by Mistergiff »

Looks like we're the first east coast stop for these folks. Take a look at some of the maps for the western resorts. Talk about identifying dangerous off map stuff! The detail on the Snowbird / Alta map is bonkers.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

icedtea wrote:I have a map I drew with Barnibus but it's under lock and key.
I'd like to see that one -

But let's face it - there are no inbounds secrets at Killington - once here are 100 people at the hill that know every line - all the lines are gone by 11 on a powder day.

The only secrets at Killington are the ones out of bounds - but those lines are getting tracked out too.
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

This whole thing is a liability suit waiting to happen. We all know how much the golden gondi girl was looking to recover in a legal action. Going out of bounds for the common folks is a bad idea. If you're lucky they will find you off of Wheelerville Rd. If not they might find your remains eventually if someone stumbles on them. I believe the makers of this new off trail map would be liable for publishing such info to the stupid general public. The woods are as cold at night as they were a 100 years ago. Having an app wont help you stay warm and survive.