2017 Women's World Cup

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Re: 2017 Women's World Cup

Post by Southside_Bobby »

Latest report:

"The lowest section of Great Northern, from the Snowdon Quad load terminal down to Ramshead, is open for folks parked at Ramshead to return to their cars at the end of the day, but there is no lift connectivity between the Ramshead and K-1 Base Areas."

I'll take it. At the very least, Vale parking will be "ski off", if not ski on.

Was lower GN open last year?
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

I’ve still got 2 grandstand tix for Saturday if anyone is in need.
Don't Killington Pico
G-smashed
Official KZone Historian

Post by G-smashed »

Nice job on all counts K. I was there for the whole afternoon and I have to say the whole thing rocked. Much more organized than last year and I thought much more cowbell. Was that you Rusty?
Also kudos to K for the trail rollout. With a very iffy fall there was a pretty good variety of terrain open. I've seen much worse in my 37 years here. It's time for Highway Star to STFU, leave our mountain forever, and even better GO PLAY ON THE RAILROAD TRACKS. Just my 2 cents.

Don't Deer Valley Killington!
http://www.myeloma.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ffrf.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.keithrichards.com/
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Resort is reporting 18,000 for today.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Spectacular Race Event !
Couple more pounds and she'll begin winning these GSs :-)

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
liv4ski
Bumper

Post by liv4ski »

Local favorite Mikaela Shiffrin finishes second in Killington World Cup race
Associated Press Published 5:30 p.m. ET Nov. 25, 2017

KILLINGTON, Vt. (AP) — Mikaela Shiffrin had a roaring crowd in her corner, possibly the biggest to watch a women's World Cup race.

But it was not enough to overcome Germany's Viktoria Rebensburg and a mistake early in her run in a stirring duel Saturday on Killington's aptly named Superstar trail.

Rebensburg won her second straight World Cup giant slalom by edging Shiffrin, the overall points leader who was skiing in the state where she attended school.

The German finished two runs on Killington's Superstar trail in 1 minute, 57.63 seconds, with Shiffrin 0.67 back. Manuela Moelgg of Italy held on for third, 1.49 seconds off the lead.

The race took place before about 18,000 fans — organizers believe it the largest crowd for a women's World Cup race.

And what a race they saw. The second run turned into a showdown star skiers, with the last four each taking over the top spot.

Moelgg had been third after the first run and went into the lead with a strong run. Then Shiffrin took her turn. She is a product of Burke Mountain Academy in northern Vermont and was greeted with thunderous cheers as she left the gate. The noise followed her all the way down the course. She had a great run and wound up 0.82 seconds ahead of Moelgg.

But the day belonged to Vebensburg, who had a superlative second run despite what she described as a big mistake at the top of the course. She said she was surprised she came out on top, and by the margin of victory.

"Sometimes when you make a mistake, you know you have to charge, to go 100 percent," Rebensburg said. "Sometimes mistakes can make you faster."

Still, Shiffrin was pleased with her progress in giant slalom since the opener in Soelden.

"This was a step in the right direction," she said, adding she felt more confident at Killington. She made a few adjustments to her equipment and her attitude.

"I felt like I made some good turns," she said.

Stephanie Brunner of Austria was fourth in 1:59.28 and Federica Brignone of Italy was fifth in 1:59.38. Tessa Worley of France — the giant slalom winner at Killington last season in the first World Cup race held at the resort — was sixth.

The sunshine that greeted the racers for the first run gave way to thick clouds as the second run progressed. It was spitting r*in by the time the last skiers took to the course. The overcast made it difficult to see, what racers call flat light conditions.

Rebensburg said she was praying it wouldn't start r*ining hard before she got out of the gate.

"We train in all kinds of weather, on all kinds of snow," she said. "We know how to handle it. When you're in good shape, it really doesn't matter."

Rebensburg was surprised by the many fans and said Killington is building a great reputation with the skiers.

"The crowd cheers for everyone," she said. "And this just a well-organized event. The good conditions make it possible for us to have a really good race, and race at the highest level."

The World Cup circuit returned to Killington and Vermont this year after a successful weekend of racing in 2016.

"East Coast fans are just incredible," Shiffrin said. She mentioned a message she'd received from a fan before Saturday's race. "It said, 'We're not here to watch you win, we're here to support you.'"

The day of racing began with a moment of silence for David Poisson, the French skier who was killed Nov. 13 while training in Canada.

Racing continues at Killington on Sunday with the women's slalom. Shiffrin won the slalom at Killington last year.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Group Harnessing World Cup To Grow Sport Of Skiing And Riding

http://digital.vpr.net/post/group-harne ... 5#stream/0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

The race was SOOO much better than last year due to the lessons learned at the previous event.

Had no problems getting around and purchasing food and drink. Already looking forward to next year.

Unbelievable win for Shiffrin again!

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/26/spor ... ipad-share" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Where is Happy Hour ?
Captain Hafski
Poster Child Poster

Post by Captain Hafski »

Kudos to all involved with this spectacular weekend !!

Shiffrin was amazing again !
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

The skiing world stopped by Killington this weekend to run a race and have a party. Huge response from the East Coast fan base as it seemed that everyone who loves racing was here. Crowd numbers like 18K on Saturday and 16K on Sunday proved to the racing world that the Beast was the place to be. The super icy race course conditions that the World Cup women favor could be found on many of the public trails by the end of the ski days. Being one of the 21 Killington skiers who had skied at least 100 days per season for the last five years got you an invite into the VIP tent for the weekend. Normally I try not to let distractions derail my ski day but the allure of lobster tails on the barbecue with an open bar proved too great. Rubbing elbows with the likes of Suzy Chaffee, Donna Weinbrecht and Billy Kidd was the bomb. Buddy commented that Sugarbush doesn’t treat their diehard skiers as well as Killington. Finished Sunday watching Mikaela Shiffrin win her second Killington Cup in slalom from the nearby Highline trail. This great Thanksgiving weekend ski tradition returns again next year. Hats off to all the hard work put in by many to make this a true World Class event.

World Cup Race Grade – A

Quote of the Day – Killington really knows how to reward it’s most loyal fans.
Attachments
Worl Cup Fireworks.jpg
Worl Cup Fireworks.jpg (95.57 KiB) Viewed 500 times
Suzy and Donna.jpg
Suzy and Donna.jpg (99.17 KiB) Viewed 500 times
Mikalea wins slalom.jpg
Mikalea wins slalom.jpg (92 KiB) Viewed 500 times
Billy Kidd.jpg
Billy Kidd.jpg (121.91 KiB) Viewed 500 times
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Great capture picpost! :like
Nice of you to loan Billy your gloves. :wink:

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Killington Kills It Again

http://vermontbiz.com/news/2017/novembe ... -286700865" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Bubba wrote:Killington Kills It Again

http://vermontbiz.com/news/2017/novembe ... -286700865" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HIGHLIGHTS

The Xfinity Killington Cup set American attendance records with an estimated 34,000 spectators across two days (18,000 giant slalom, 16,000 slalom) beating last year’s attendance by 4,000 spectators.
The Xfinity Killington Cup was broadcast in more than 60 countries worldwide and live on NBC in the United States.
The Xfinity Killington Cup returns to Killington Resort on November 23-25, 2018.
Over 2,000 children from New England ski clubs participated in the opening parades Saturday and Sunday.
2017 Giant Slalom Results (link is external)
1st Viktoria Rebensburg (GER)
2nd Mikaela Shriffin (USA)
3rd Manuela Moelgg (ITA)
2017 Slalom Results (link is external)
1st Mikaela Shriffin (USA)
2nd Petra Vlhova (SVK)
3rd Bernadette Schild (AUT)
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....