Blasting on Lower Superstar

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

randyw
Beginner On Rentals

Blasting on Lower Superstar

Post by randyw »

From today's conditions report:
"Blasting on Lower Superstar for the KMS four-season jump venue, from July 24-28, will cause some temporary closures of the K-1 Express Gondola. The blasts are scheduled to occur at 9:00 a.m., noon, and 3:00 p.m. each day, and each blast will cause the K-1 to shut down for approximately 20 minutes."

Is this the far left part of the bottom third of the bottom pitch ?
madhatter
Signature Poster

Re: Blasting on Lower Superstar

Post by madhatter »

randyw wrote:From today's conditions report:
"Blasting on Lower Superstar for the KMS four-season jump venue, from July 24-28, will cause some temporary closures of the K-1 Express Gondola. The blasts are scheduled to occur at 9:00 a.m., noon, and 3:00 p.m. each day, and each blast will cause the K-1 to shut down for approximately 20 minutes."

Is this the far left part of the bottom third of the bottom pitch ?
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Is it going to be a foam pit or airbag type thing? I wonder if it will ever be open to the public? Seems kinda cool, I would try it.....I guess ducking the rope skiers left to miss some of the schlep to K1 won't be an option anymore.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

daytripper wrote:Is it going to be a foam pit or airbag type thing? I wonder if it will ever be open to the public? Seems kinda cool, I would try it.....I guess ducking the rope skiers left to miss some of the schlep to K1 won't be an option anymore.
one of the lamest things at K is that schlep ( and a few others) but mostly it's the north side south side connections that are really lame...then again almost every run at jay has something like that...

gonna have to have a pit or a pool if its gonna be year round...will be fun to watch...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
yiddle on da fiddle
Powderhound

Post by yiddle on da fiddle »

doesnt REALLY appear to drop down low enough to impact ones cut across to get to the K1...NOW:...take some of that Dyn-o-Mite....and get blowin over of the South Fridge....and give us back a friggin lift already!
Attachments
wellwerewaiting.jpg
wellwerewaiting.jpg (10.05 KiB) Viewed 2045 times
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

yiddle on da fiddle wrote:doesnt REALLY appear to drop down low enough to impact ones cut across to get to the K1...NOW:...take some of that Dyn-o-Mite....and get blowin over of the South Fridge....and give us back a friggin lift already!
I'm not talking about down low, I'm talking about ducking the rope up there around half way down the lower headwall and cutting across where they appear to be blasting now. Doing that you can almost make it to K1 without schlepping.
Seacoaster
Bumper

Post by Seacoaster »

My understanding is that it is an airbag, I don't know if it is the same on, but I recall them setting one up for a short time 2-3 years ago.....
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Airbags on Superstar are plentiful, especially during May :lol:
This new one ought to be a real game changer. :roll:

Spend the money where it makes an impact :idea:

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
skilab
Blue Chatterbox

Post by skilab »

The airbag is different than the one set up a few years ago. The site is being funded by a group of ski club and kms parents who bought at least 1 $10,000 bond so their 6 to 13 year olds will be olympians.
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

daytripper wrote:I guess ducking the rope skiers left to miss some of the schlep to K1 won't be an option anymore.
I have treated these under utlitized acres as my personal powder stash for years now. With enough speed it eliminates the KBL schlep.This is my most dangerous daily move as it is imperative that you yield to other high speed traffic crossing over to the Superstar Chair. Steering clear of the small island of trees at the bottom is mandatory to allow you enough time to adjust to crossing traffic. The crossing high speed collisions over the years are the reason for the gates at the bottom of Superstar and why using this short cut is discouraged. Post Irene grading has made the schlep a tad easier.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
da Pimp
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by da Pimp »

Lets get together and bushwack a narrow line starting at the very top of that section, at the tree line. Take a 45 deg left and cut thru the trees single file and come out at the bottom of lower Ovation, in position to catch the exit going under the old K chair line. Traffic coming out of lower Ovation is light and not moving too fast there, it would be much safer to go that way versus trying to get across the mess which is the bottom of the Superstar control ropes over to K1.

This would alleviate the stress on the public volume trying to head east, by moving the more accomplished traffic who wants to head west up the hill and around to a better exit.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

da Pimp wrote:Lets get together and bushwack a narrow line starting at the very top of that section, at the tree line. Take a 45 deg left and cut thru the trees single file and come out at the bottom of lower Ovation, in position to catch the exit going under the old K chair line. Traffic coming out of lower Ovation is light and not moving too fast there, it would be much safer to go that way versus trying to get across the mess which is the bottom of the Superstar control ropes over to K1.

This would alleviate the stress on the public volume trying to head east, by moving the more accomplished traffic who wants to head west up the hill and around to a better exit.
yer supposed to stop in at KBL and buy something on your trek between the two areas... :D
mach es sehr schnell

Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

I still like the idea of a ski joring lane from Superstar to the Gondola.

brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

The section described by GIS is no longer a favorite for many. :sad:
Not a good idea to mention that subject anywhere near Sardelli. :wink:

Schlepping is a sacred duty. :like
Much preferred over Magic Carpet rides :lol:
Steppenwolf company excepted.

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

da Pimp wrote:Lets get together and bushwack a narrow line starting at the very top of that section, at the tree line. Take a 45 deg left and cut thru the trees single file and come out at the bottom of lower Ovation, in position to catch the exit going under the old K chair line. Traffic coming out of lower Ovation is light and not moving too fast there, it would be much safer to go that way versus trying to get across the mess which is the bottom of the Superstar control ropes over to K1.

For whatever reason there's never enough snow in there - lotsa Vermont Rock in there as well......

We avoid the bottom of that trail any time after 10 AM anyway...unless it's dumping natural - or man-made.