Blasting on Lower Superstar

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

GSKI
Powderhound

Re: Blasting on Lower Superstar

Post by GSKI »

We have some serious schleps forming in the future. Get ready.
When the Village goes in average folks parking may be MILES away from KBL with Shuttle bus service. All the near mountain parking will be preferred paid parking or village parking. Same for when they do the new condos at Bear. Won't even matter if you try to get there early. I guess then there is gondola rt 4 when open to get near lift parking.
da Pimp
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by da Pimp »

Wow, that is one seriously non-competitive future state you are painting. But likely true. It will make Okemo, Mt. Snow, Sugarbush look like convenient bargains.

But that's what POWDR has always wanted; less customers paying more. The playing field in New England will readjust and level out.

Seems to go against the tried and true decades proven thought process of Preston Smith. Killington is successful and profitable based on volume and having something for everyone. Seems that POWDR does not want a certain chunk of the "everyone".
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

What would really suck is if some of the new off site parking once the village is built and the condos at bear are done is all the way down in Rutland and the shuttle buses run from there. That would add 1hr plus to get to actually get to the lifts (not including time waiting for the next bus) unless you have a super expensive preferred parking pass or a condo in the village.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

GSKI wrote:What would really suck is if some of the new off site parking once the village is built and the condos at bear are done is all the way down in Rutland and the shuttle buses run from there. That would add 1hr plus to get to actually get to the lifts (not including time waiting for the next bus) unless you have a super expensive preferred parking pass or a condo in the village.
there will likely be at least some at the very bottom of the access rd which may as well be rutland...gonna be a while though...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

Some serious old men whining going on here. Sheesh.
Attachments
2894181382_c1e9f52f59.jpg
2894181382_c1e9f52f59.jpg (48.53 KiB) Viewed 1366 times
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

I took a look at the blasting area. Hard to tell, but they might have cut the trees back a little. There's a stripe of disturbed earth up the right side, looking up. A very sizable flat area has been hollowed into the hill, presumably to position the air bag on. There is a 4-6" stone cobbly road winding down to in front of the Ubar and then down to the access road.

As Hillbangin said, there is a crushed stone gravel area in front of KBL now, with fresh gravel paths leading to the Ubar.

The result of the flat area bowled out is the cut over from lower Supe to escape part of the schlep is going to be much different. As in worse, not better.

Next year's pond skimming will NOT look the same.
Seacoaster
Bumper

Post by Seacoaster »

Best Schlep of the season was April 8th, we received a solid foot of snow at the peak with mixed precip below, the peak lodge was open but the gondola was not running do to icing. I traversed from North Ridge and walked up Northern to the peak lodge. Had a coffee with the wife and realized nobody had been up on the Gondola. I hiked up and dropped Catwalk for the first time in my life(I have been saving it for the right day) first tracks at 10AM in a fresh foot! That is the stuff memories are made of.....
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

White Cobble Road

Dished out bowl

Looking down on new flat spot, Gondola tower and KSC visible through trees.
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Seacoaster wrote:Best Schlep of the season was April 8th, we received a solid foot of snow at the peak with mixed precip below, the peak lodge was open but the gondola was not running do to icing. I traversed from North Ridge and walked up Northern to the peak lodge. Had a coffee with the wife and realized nobody had been up on the Gondola. I hiked up and dropped Catwalk for the first time in my life(I have been saving it for the right day) first tracks at 10AM in a fresh foot! That is the stuff memories are made of.....
Catwalk is one our best trails. Trail was buffed out perfect by April. Here are a couple of shots from the next day April 9th. Last photo shows the Mad Hatter skipping the first ugly turn by airing it out and sailing over the trouble.
Attachments
Powder Turns.JPG
Powder Turns.JPG (149.2 KiB) Viewed 1003 times
Springtime on Catwalk.JPG
Springtime on Catwalk.JPG (151.71 KiB) Viewed 1003 times
Catwalk Air.JPG
Catwalk Air.JPG (112.6 KiB) Viewed 1004 times
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Guy in Shorts wrote:
Seacoaster wrote:Best Schlep of the season was April 8th, we received a solid foot of snow at the peak with mixed precip below, the peak lodge was open but the gondola was not running do to icing. I traversed from North Ridge and walked up Northern to the peak lodge. Had a coffee with the wife and realized nobody had been up on the Gondola. I hiked up and dropped Catwalk for the first time in my life(I have been saving it for the right day) first tracks at 10AM in a fresh foot! That is the stuff memories are made of.....
Catwalk is one our best trails. Trail was buffed out perfect by April. Here are a couple of shots from the next day April 9th. Last photo shows the Mad Hatter skipping the first ugly turn by airing it out and sailing over the trouble.
love me some catwalk...good times that day...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Seacoaster
Bumper

Post by Seacoaster »

Catwalk.jpg
Catwalk.jpg (40.68 KiB) Viewed 926 times
madhatter wrote:
Guy in Shorts wrote:
love me some catwalk...good times that day...
agreed, When i hit it, it was nothing but pillowtops of POW, slashed it like there was no tomorrow! With the kids etc, I rarely grab first tracks on the upper mountain, on POW days that I can ride out of the house, I always get Valley Plunge first with the kiddos. So, I have been patient for the right setup on Catwalk and it paid off. I will say, my wife was not impressed as she wasnt able to get it with me and of course she saw the results of my venture on FB....... She did get it the next morning as you did though.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Seacoaster wrote:
Catwalk.jpg
That's an awesome picture and it must have felt like you were floating skiing that.
Seacoaster
Bumper

Post by Seacoaster »

It was super Floaty, especially as I snowboard it was idyllic.
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

Definitely awesome shot! Nothing like untracked powder. Had a day this past season standing looking into the entry to Patsies midweek that looked similar. Fun times... :D
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

That's the last one on my list of shots I've never gotten untracked. Great pic. Problem is you have to chose hiking up to get it or finding a run down though light or dark to the bottom. Better odds that the ridge is not tracked out.