No Flinching

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

No Flinching

Post by Guy in Shorts »

No Flinching is a name that I bestowed on the trail that I had never skied until this season. It was last Gondi on a snowy winter afternoon. We were headed to Coop's for a Howl at the Storm convention. Up to Catwalk we scampered and down to where the Peak Walkway crosses. Our fearless leader said straight lining was key to survival as he blazed the trail between the Upper Catwalk trees and the stairs. Keeping my skis straight as I crashed thru the low hanging evergreen branches arriving safely above the NRT. The last man crazy enough to follow emerged at the end minus one ski. Said he flinched a hundred yards back and the walkway railing stripped off his ski. Of course we were the first to arrive at the cabin as our path was the most direct route. Would never recommend anyone to ever follow this route but if are one to ignore sound advice just remember No Flinching.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Re: No Flinching

Post by hillbangin »

Guy in Shorts wrote:No Flinching is a name that I bestowed on the trail that I had never skied until this season. It was last Gondi on a snowy winter afternoon. We were headed to Coop's for a Howl at the Storm convention. Up to Catwalk we scampered and down to where the Peak Walkway crosses. Our fearless leader said straight lining was key to survival as he blazed the trail between the Upper Catwalk trees and the stairs. Keeping my skis straight as I crashed thru the low hanging evergreen branches arriving safely above the NRT. The last man crazy enough to follow emerged at the end minus one ski. Said he flinched a hundred yards back and the walkway railing stripped off his ski. Of course we were the first to arrive at the cabin as our path was the most direct route. Would never recommend anyone to ever follow this route but if are one to ignore sound advice just remember No Flinching.
Sounds dangerous :D Skiing down the stairs is easier...Last year after the big dumps you couldn't even see the rails. Be careful out there.
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

If there is enough snow, just take the Appellation trail from the peak to the cabin. I didn't like hiking up it so skiing down it would not be idea of fun.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Most folks looking at a trail map on the top of Killington are trying to chose from a handful of options. The map that pops into my head has hundreds if not thousands of lines and choices.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
IronMan WannaB
Bumper

Post by IronMan WannaB »

I remember Barnibus talked about dropping from the peak. He used to say, eventually you can find a place to scrub speed. I am sure he has a name for a trail topside.
Sparky
One of the kids your mothers wouldn't let you play with.
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

I remember Barnibus talked about dropping from the peak. He used to say, eventually you can find a place to scrub speed. I am sure he has a name for a trail topside.
There is a short very narrow trail from the peak directly down to right above coopers that is like a spiral staircase with really nowhere to scrub speed as far as I could tell. It seemed that for there to be enough snow to ski you would be hitting the short pine trees branches.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

IronMan WannaB wrote:I remember Barnibus talked about dropping from the peak. He used to say, eventually you can find a place to scrub speed. I am sure he has a name for a trail topside.
Wish I could have followed him around for a day or 2...

GIS is correct - I've hiked it summer and winter. It's diaper mandatory. You'd have a hell of a head of steam after that first drop off the peak - it's all Rock so it's straight line mandatory. Then into the scrubby tight pines.
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

It was good in May....
Rustyk-5-15.jpg
Rustyk-5-15.jpg (84.12 KiB) Viewed 430 times
Where is Happy Hour ?