Notch Cut Into Conclusion?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

throbster
Postaholic

Notch Cut Into Conclusion?

Post by throbster »

It looks like they did some excavation work on Conclusion just below the mid-way unloading shack. I wonder if they created a pass-through so that the KMS kids can cut over to Highline higher up. Anyone know if this is true?
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
madhatter
Signature Poster

Re: Notch Cut Into Conclusion?

Post by madhatter »

throbster wrote:It looks like they did some excavation work on Conclusion just below the mid-way unloading shack. I wonder if they created a pass-through so that the KMS kids can cut over to Highline higher up. Anyone know if this is true?
sounds logical...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

Yet another powder stash ruined . . . :sad:
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

ski wrote:Yet another powder stash ruined . . . :sad:
Doubt it. I mean, it's under the freakin chair. (When it runs)

Killington on any given powder day is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to find.

That said, the box of chocolates is out in a sidewalk at rush hour. Even the nougat and orange creams everyone leaves don't last for very long.
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

Mister Moose wrote:

Killington on any given powder day is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to find.

That said, the box of chocolates is out in a sidewalk at rush hour. Even the nougat and orange creams everyone leaves don't last for very long.
Typically a reserved stash early season . . :wink:
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

Mister Moose wrote:

funny that I actually like those...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Reopening Interceptor ladies tee for all you backseat hitch kickers.

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

brownman wrote:Reopening Interceptor ladies tee for all you backseat hitch kickers.

You mean from the highline side? Down low?
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Haven't seen the notch cut .. butt it's likely up by the old start shack.
Interceptor lives on .. saplings and twigs are expendable. :wink:

Forever .. Goat Path
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

brownman wrote:Haven't seen the notch cut .. butt it's likely up by the old start shack.
Interceptor lives on .. saplings and twigs are expendable. :wink:

It's grown in nicely to hide the entrances from the masses. Twigs could be saplings this year, and saplings could be trees soon.
da Pimp
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by da Pimp »

I find it interesting that a tiny fraction of the customer population can get a machine and operator to make a small change on the hill that helps only a small fraction of the customer population, but anytime I or friends have recommended some simple grading, hill cutbacks, softening of trail turn radius, smoothing out typical rocky patches, etc. the response from anyone we ever talked to with a Killington nameplate was absolutely zero. Not even interested in listening or perhaps writing it down for management to consider. I understand that lots of ground features may have limitations on what can be done based on maintaining desired grades, water runoff, visibility for customers in motion, but does that also mean that the decision makers in the 60's, 70's, 80's got it right all the time on their claimed hundreds of trails or trail sections?

I think it is great that a small bit of earth will be modified for ease of transition for KMS or whomever. If this is where I think it is, then I cannot imagine that there would be any negative effect on the terrain short or long term. It's a good thing. So how about the rest of the world that pays the bills? I hope that someone like KMS did not have to pay out of their private pocket for this work. If so, then I know the answer to my own question.

It would sound something like - "We will invest in activities that will bring in increased revenue, especially in underutilized aspects". An obvious example would be all of the improvements across Snowshed, focused on summer activities. I think that is all great. But there seems to be no investment of man or machine towards customer satisfaction, or continuous improvement of their core product - skiing & riding. Replacing rusty snowmaking pipes is a good customer facing investment, although mandatory because they break and would force trails to close without natural snow. Some token signage updates were decent. But every time we show up we all see a ton of customer facing things that need improvement or fixing in the lots, lodges and their surrounds, lifts, trails, food - did I mention lifts? and nothing ever seems to get done. Same old situations, year after year. So I find it most interesting that some earth got moved, but not for the public.
yiddle on da fiddle
Powderhound

Post by yiddle on da fiddle »

da Pimp wrote:I find it interesting that a tiny fraction of the customer population can get a machine and operator to make a small change on the hill that helps only a small fraction of the customer population, but anytime I or friends have recommended some simple grading, hill cutbacks, softening of trail turn radius, smoothing out typical rocky patches, etc. the response from anyone we ever talked to with a Killington nameplate was absolutely zero. Not even interested in listening or perhaps writing it down for management to consider. I understand that lots of ground features may have limitations on what can be done based on maintaining desired grades, water runoff, visibility for customers in motion, but does that also mean that the decision makers in the 60's, 70's, 80's got it right all the time on their claimed hundreds of trails or trail sections?

I think it is great that a small bit of earth will be modified for ease of transition for KMS or whomever. If this is where I think it is, then I cannot imagine that there would be any negative effect on the terrain short or long term. It's a good thing. So how about the rest of the world that pays the bills? I hope that someone like KMS did not have to pay out of their private pocket for this work. If so, then I know the answer to my own question.

It would sound something like - "We will invest in activities that will bring in increased revenue, especially in underutilized aspects". An obvious example would be all of the improvements across Snowshed, focused on summer activities. I think that is all great. But there seems to be no investment of man or machine towards customer satisfaction, or continuous improvement of their core product - skiing & riding. Replacing rusty snowmaking pipes is a good customer facing investment, although mandatory because they break and would force trails to close without natural snow. Some token signage updates were decent. But every time we show up we all see a ton of customer facing things that need improvement or fixing in the lots, lodges and their surrounds, lifts, trails, food - did I mention lifts? and nothing ever seems to get done. Same old situations, year after year. So I find it most interesting that some earth got moved, but not for the public.
This reads like Dumb and Dumber...." you hope KMS didnt have to pay for this"?.....are you shittin me?...COURSE THEY DID!....same with the lift unload midstation ( engineering disaster that it was/is)....buy your pass and shut up.... Powdr doesnt give two shits about what you really want...UNLESS......youre writing a really big a/k/a KMS kinda check.
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

I believe KMS is behind this or had some influence on it. Pretty sure big Mike has a place on the board. I like Mike. But maybe it's time to start a pass holders union. Get stuff done to our paying satisfaction. Why the F do KMS snow flakes get all the influence and upgrades? The mid station and wind bag on lower S.S. are all examples. Why not cater to customers? Is my money not as green as KMS money?
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

ANGUS wrote:I believe KMS is behind this or had some influence on it. Pretty sure big Mike has a place on the board. I like Mike. But maybe it's time to start a pass holders union. Get stuff done to our paying satisfaction. Why the F do KMS snow flakes get all the influence and upgrades? The mid station and wind bag on lower S.S. are all examples. Why not cater to customers? Is my money not as green as KMS money?
Only when they see a reduction of cash flow they will start replacing lifts and upgrade lodges. What is going to happen at Bear next summer is developer investment, not from Powdrs pocket. When the parking goes away, so do I!
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
da Pimp
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by da Pimp »

Yes, good points. The regulars still keep coming, so why should POWDR do anything differently?

Time to get back on my former bandwagon and make an effort to get friends/coworkers/strangers I meet to go elsewhere. I love the terrain, snowfall, long season so I will be there. But all I have to do is mention a few of the K problems like shitty lifts, shitty lodges, parking soon goes away and high prices. Easy to see how that negative attendance wave starts to build up again. Hurt them where they count since they cannot figure out or understand the "build it and they will come" concept. POWDR prefers the "sh*t them and talk big on free social media" approach. Word of mouth still affects more customer decision making than they think.